Ford Lighting EV Range reduces 2/3rds while towing

CKN

So now I have read two-towing reviews that test out showing towing reduces the total range of the Ford electric Lightning pickup by two thirds. It should be noted that when towing with a GAS motor the range is reduced by half-generally.

The Ford Lightning is really a grocery getter for those who want a look of a pickup-but really won't use it like a truck.

Last edited:
The Ford Lightning is really a grocery getter for those who want a look of a pickup-but really won't use it like a truck.

I don't see this problem as this applies to something like 85% of all truck owners. I've also seen one survey that says 75% of truck owners tow something 1x a year or less.

I bought a truck more for hauling crap than towing, I’d be interested to see how it handles 2,000lbs in the bed.

Reactions: CKN
I bought a truck more for hauling crap than towing, I’d be interested to see how it handles 2,000lbs in the bed.
Yea-how much does hauling max payload in the bed affect range? Good question.

I think for the person that wants a truck, needs it for home Depot runs, and does not tow, it works.
That's probably a lot of the public now.

This EV trucks have reduced range has become a talking point for online discussion. If this is a real issue,folks will simply just buy something else.

That being said, reduced range happens with every propulsion system, the issue is replenishing that range. With ICE/Hev its a quick fill up and you are back on the road. With electric its not as easy. However the inconvenience depends on the person and their tolerance.

Ford has tons of orders for the Lightning. I wonder what their intended use is? These trucks are not exactly cheap!
In many places of the country pick up trucks are the "thing' to own, maybe just like Tesla small sedans on the West Coast are a thing, they arent cheap either.
Here in SC sometimes is seems like 50% of the vehicles are pickups. They are used just like any vehicle which the intended use is no different then the use of any vehicle.
We live near a large well known lake, actually hosting for the first time in the USA the international bass tournament this month.
Now there is where you will see many pickups trailering small boats that cost even more then the truck. Other than that, they are like any other vehicle.

Ford has tons of orders for the Lightning. I wonder what their intended use is? These trucks are not exactly cheap!
There are lots of people with lots of money and or credit. The Media driven EV hysteria is stunning.

Back