Ford Hit With 1.7 Billion Verdict on F250 Roof Collapse

Evidence presented in the case showed that the F-250 pickups made in the 17 model years prior to 2017 all pose a risk to drivers and passengers in cases of a rollover, said Jim Butler Jr., the attorney who won the verdict. He said 5.2 million trucks have been built with the same faulty roof.

The punitive damages were awarded because Ford knew well in advance of the 2014 crash that it had a problem with the roof, Butler said. He said Ford's engineers had already designed a safer roof, but the automaker did not move immediately to install it on the trucks.

"Long before the Hills were killed, Ford was on notice from their own engineers, own crash tests and dozens of accidents that people were being killed, and it did nothing," Butler said.

Ford would not comment on Butler's statement that the older F-150's and F-250's have similar roofs at danger of collapse. It did say it intends to appeal the huge verdict.

For years the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration had exempted heavy-duty trucks like the F-250 from the same safety standards as passenger cars and trucks. But Butler said that didn't make a difference in this case.

And it wasn't a change in the NHTSA standard, but potential pickup buyers doing research on the vehicle's safety record that finally prompted Ford to put a stronger roof on both the F-150 and F-250, according to Butler.

Butler conceded that the $1.7 billion verdict is likely to be reduced on appeal, but he's hoping it serves as a wake-up call to both automakers and pickup truck owners.

If punitive damages are upheld by higher courts, the Hill family and their attorneys will only get 25% of the award amount. Under Georgia law, the state gets 75% of the awards granted by the courts. The only way the plaintiffs would get the full amount of punitive damages is if there is a settlement reached between the two sides, Butler said.

Beat me to it! Was just going to post this.

That's one heck of a hit to the bottom line, and an absolutely HUGE award. Is this the biggest in US history, or have their been larger ones?

The verdict can be reduced by a judge. It's called a remittiur.
It is very disturbing states like Georgia and Texas, Texas with the goofy Werner truck accident, have had crazy lawsuits where the jury awarded insane dollar amounts. I use to think this only happened in California.

For years, we installed roll bars on pickup trucks, due to weak roof designs that were easily crushed by the truck's own weight. They were not there because they looked cool, they were there because we wanted to drive like idiots and survive a roll over. Over time, these bed-mounted roll bars became fashion items, with limited usefulness. But the reason they existed remained unchanged.

hb350cg-ds-wwires_3_orig.jpg

This stuff makes me sick to my stomach. I really want to respect the great Ford Corporation. If I were buying a new truck, the F-150 would be on top of my list. I hate this stuff. Where is the integridy?

Automakers from every brand have a history of neglecting safety defects when the math works out in this equation:

Anticipated cost of potential lawsuits < Cost to refit vehicle [assuming NHTSA doesn't intervene and force the matter]

Ford is probably one of the worst offenders or just real unlucky, but they are certainly not the only one that takes this approach.

Isn't this more or less the Pinto settlement all over again? As I remember the story - correct me if I am wrong - they could have fixed the exploding pinto gas tank problem few cheap parts added between the frame and the tank, but the bean counters figured out it was cheaper to settle a few lawsuits for the people who were to die. That info made it into discovery at trial and the jury awarded a huge punitive settlement that almost bankrupt Ford.

Well this is interesting;

“If punitive damages are upheld by higher courts, the Hill family and their attorneys will only get 25% of the award amount. Under Georgia law, the state gets 75% of the awards granted by the courts. The only way the plaintiffs would get the full amount of punitive damages is if there is a settlement reached between the two sides, Butler said.”

What was cut for lawyers ?

If punitive damages are upheld by higher courts, the Hill family and their attorneys will only get 25% of the award amount. Under Georgia law, the state gets 75% of the awards granted by the courts. The only way the plaintiffs would get the full amount of punitive damages is if there is a settlement reached between the two sides, Butler said.

Is this normal practice?

Is this normal practice?

It does seem odd. If the plaintiffs get 25% I would imagine the lawyers get the lion’s share of that.

In the end they may have enough to buy a new Ford.

So the plaintiff gets 25% or ~$425M and the lawyers get 33-40% of that most likely? And a bunch of lawyer politicians in GA at some point in the past set it up so the lawyer politicians could steal 75%. Too bad the FF didn't make it Constitutionally prohibited for lawyers to hold public office.

Isn't this more or less the Pinto settlement all over again? As I remember the story - correct me if I am wrong - they could have fixed the exploding pinto gas tank problem few cheap parts added between the frame and the tank, but the bean counters figured out it was cheaper to settle a few lawsuits for the people who were to die. That info made it into discovery at trial and the jury awarded a huge punitive settlement that almost bankrupt Ford.
The Germans still make great cars though.

Ford made their decisions. They made their bed; now they gotta sleep in it.

I see both sides of this and in my summary, it's just the reality of life's choices from all sides. Be forewarned; Prepare for my rant.

Yes- loss of life is terrible; we'd all agree on that.

I only took one economics class in college, but it was drilled into my head that EVERYTHING has a "cost".
- costs of capitol
- costs of inventory
- costs of production
- costs of engineering
- costs of marketing
- costs of overhead
- costs of labor
but there are also other types of costs, such as the "cost of lost opportunity", "cost of unintended consequences", "cost of market rejection"
etc ....

The irony is not lost on me that I bet, to the person, that jury which awarded the HUGE punitive fine (most of which goes to the State of GA; 70% right off the top), is also loaded people who would complain about:
- the cost of buying a new truck
- the cost of gas
- the cost of insurance
- the cost of maintaining high-tech equipment

If you want a "safer" truck, you end up with mandatory things like anti-lock brakes, sway/stability control, cameras, blind spot sensors, lane-keep assist systems, etc .... they all add to the overall cost of a vehicle. Now you want a truck to be essentially "roll-over proof"? ... that's added costs in engineering, materials, etc. It also adds weight to the vehicle, which makes it get less fuel economy ... Ford didnt' cheat the system; at the time there was no roll-over standard for these trucks in that GVWR class. It's not like Ford pulled a VW or FCA move and flat lied and falsified during testing procedures. Ford had an adequate design that wasn't bullet-proof, but satisfied MILLIONS of buyers at the time. Ford certainly could have made the cab roof stronger, but the costs involved (of which there are many) outweighed the cost of the upgrade at the time. It's not like you just decide on Friday to make the cab stronger, and on Monday it goes into production ... There are engineering choices, material lead times, new stamping dies to buy; it can take a year or two to make structural changes. Ford was selling these things like hot-cakes and downtime wasn't well tolerated, because the market was screaming for these at high production volumes.

This reminds me of an event in AZ where a Phoenix officer was killed because his cruiser was hit from behind at 70mph (ish) by a drunk driver, and the CVPI burst into flames. As I recall, that family and department ended up suing Ford because the car was "only" tested for a 35mph collision from the rear (which was the federal safety standard at the time). So some folks thought that Ford could have done more, so they sued. And Ford did respond; they made CVPIs with much beefier fuel tank containment systems; that cost $$$. Then police departments complained about delays in delivery and costs added to the goverment orders.

Vehicles generally improve safety every single year. But there is always a "next level" which has to be weighed against what the market is ultimately willing to pay for. I assure you with absolute certainty that every OEM vehicle maker out there is making some kind of compromise about some safety consideration. That does not mean the vehicles are unsafe; it only means they are not 100% as safe as they "could" be, because other considerations of cost (in all it's forms) is competing against the improvement. If you design an element to sustain X tons of crush force, there's some moron in the market who is going to sue because you didn't design it for X+1 pounds of crush force. Design your roof for a rollover at 35mph and 5 tons of force? Karen is going to sue because you didn't make it 40mph and 6 tons. Up your game next year and make it good for 50mph and 8 tons? Karen's neice is going to sue because it wasn't 70mph and 12 tons ... You get the picture.

People are hypocrites. They want cheap, plentiful stuff, until it fails, and then they want to sue for it being cheap and plentiful because it wasn't as robust as it "could have been". You wanna be totally safe? News flash: It's impossible. I'd love to have a stylish car that only weighs 2,000 lbs, gets 57mpg in the city, has a range of 600 miles, seats 9 comfortably, tows 5 tons easily, and has 400 hp. Could such a vehicle be built? Possibly so, right up until you get to that retail price-point consideration ...

I got news for some folks ... NOTHING IS FREE AND EVERYTHING IS A COMPROMISE SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE.

The consequence of this lesson is that OEMs will just continue to pass costs along. The cost of making the vehicles "safe" is bolstered by having to pass on the cost of a BILLON DOLLAR punitive judgement. Ford won't absorb that cost; we will. Because if you build a truck as tough as a tank, you get a military-sized price tag to go along with it.

My rant endeth here.

Last edited:
Back