First oil filter you ever bought

It would have been a Lee LF-1 Two Stage from Kroger (back in the days when Kroger was like a Walmart). It was for a 1972 Ford 351C.

I bought my first car in 1987 when I was 18. Paid a neighbor a $100 for his '73 2 door Pinto Wagon, 2.0L, 4 speed.

First thing I did was clean it up. The 2nd thing was an OC. Went down to Western Auto and bought a Fram OCD and some Pennzoil 10w-40

Sheesh ... have no idea what brand the filter was, but it was for my 1953 Pontiac Chieftan Straight 8 in 1962.

53 Poncho.jpg

I believe it was a Hastings depth-type spin-on (probably a T225?) for my parents' 1972 Chevy Nova 250 straight six around 1983 or so. Those were interesting filters. I would like to see how well those worked compared to a standard paper element spin on filter.

Andrew S.

My Dad had an ESSO station from '55-'79 and he always used Purolator.
When I started working with him in ~ '69-'70, this is what I used too for my own car. Of course, I got'em fro Dad!
When I started buying my own filters after Dad retired, I bought LEE Maxi & FRAM.

IIRC it was whatever Sears called their filters in the gold box (Spectrum?)...bought their gold labeled 10W40 as well...late 1970s (air filters too) 1974 Buick LeSabre 455ci 4 barrel...

Bill

Back