First oil change on 17 Forester 2.5 w/ 376 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Legacy 2.5i and I changed the oil every 10,000 miles with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a premium guard pg4615 filter.

Cheap! It burns ZERO oil.

Originally Posted by Garak
Most HM oils these days are SN/GF-5, so I wouldn't worry about seal compatibility issues. Some have even claimed A1 and/or A5 at various times. Personally, in my limited experience, I found that HM ILSAC certified oils did not perform nearly as well in slowing leaks as did non-certified HM oils.

That's interesting and informative..... thanks!

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
I have a 2017 Legacy 2.5i and I changed the oil every 10,000 miles with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a premium guard pg4615 filter.

Glad it works for you ðŸ‘. Myself I would not be able to sleep at night doing 10k and using Supertech to boot.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Originally Posted by MrWideTires

Glad it works for you ðŸ‘. Myself I would not be able to sleep at night doing 10k and using Supertech to boot.

I haven't slept since Wednesday.
No Supertech allowed at my home. I didn't even like the Waltons on that old TV Show years ago.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
. . . No harm done other than to the wallet.
lol.gif

Firstly, there is no car manufacturer on the face of the earth who recommends early oil changes. These people engineer these cars, but we think we know more than they do...
crazy2.gif
. . .

Well, sorta. . . Nobody in three pages of discussion considered this possibility: the car that sits a long time before being sold. My 2018 Prius, which I bought in January 2019, was made in January 2018 according to the door jamb stickers. And it had 100 miles on the odometer. So it had probably been short-tripped for a year by potential buyers. No mention in manual nor maintenance book of the use of break-in specific oil. Maximum time interval for oil change: one year.

I changed mine when the car had just over 700 miles -- because the car was a year old, and I seriously doubt the dealer changed it. I guess this isn't really and truly an "early" change. I suspect I could have gotten away with waiting till a more "normal" change mileage, but felt this was the safer choice.

I also change my air filters once a year or 10k .I can't get behind 30k mile filter change many manufacturer s suggest .

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
That's interesting and informative..... thanks!

It drove me nuts trying to figure it out at the time until I saw the Starburst. In the old F-150 before the rebuild and reseal, I would run 15w-40 in the summer, then 5w-30 MaxLife in the winter. Ordinary 5w-30 would leak out way too fast. With 15w-40, the leaking slowed sufficiently that I didn't have to add over an OCI. MaxLife 5w-30 made it so I didn't have to add over the OCI, either, and that was when MaxLife wasn't ILSAC rated. I switched to Mobil Super 2000 5w-30 (our HM variant at the time, a blend, and it was ILSAC rated). It leaked again like a sieve, and I was adding. I went back to MaxLife, and things were back to "normal."

I'd gather the MaxLife had higher HTHS when it wasn't ILSAC rated, versus ILSAC rated HM oils, and it's possible that seal conditioning agents might be at a different level. Of course, since then, I've never been terribly excited about having an ILSAC rated HM oil, and the only one I really thought was a good idea was the dexos1 MaxLife, since that had potential as possibly the best priced dexos1 oil readily available.

Your Prius was a year old and still on the dealer lot
...³...³...³ that should tell you something about the fate
of the Prius with the public at large. Every time my F250
is pushing one out of the way on the interstate in the left
lane I cuss !!!

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Your Prius was a year old and still on the dealer lot
...³...³...³ that should tell you something about the fate
of the Prius with the public at large. Every time my F250
is pushing one out of the way on the interstate in the left
lane I cuss !!!

Nope. Toyota made/makes certain versions with a "tire repair system" instead of an actual spare. This "configuration" is notably, and rightfully, unpopular. They don't sell well sitting next to cars with real spares. Go figure. I don't prefer it, but a home-brew retrofit is not much work or expense, and I needed the car without wait, so I took it. All the with-spare cars were sold out. . . THAT should tell you something. And the fact that Toyota just introduced yet another Hybrid model for 2020 -- the Corolla (sedan only).

So, only left-lane cruisers driving Priuses bother you??? Personally, I find all of them offensive and irritating, whether they're driving a Prius, a Malibu -- or an F-series. . .

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone is thrashing OP for doing preventive maintenance on his car. Any UOA shows high wear metals to at least 5000 miles. I change my oil twice in 1000 miles on all my new cars and do WOT pulls in 2nd gear with 4 miles on the odometer after oil is at temp. Leak down tests are perfect and 0 of my cars burn any oil with consistent abuse and spirited driving. Enjoy your car op!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Why are you using HM oil on a 30K engine with no consumption issues?

Just because oil geniuses say it's perfectly fine to use HM oil in new vehicles, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I' mean.... why mess with seals that are perfectly fine and almost still new?

There is something to be said for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" concept. If the seals are sealing just fine as they are, I'd be reluctant to tempt them by subjecting them to seal-swell additives present in the HMs but presumably not present in non-HM formulations.

Originally Posted by ZsGti
I don't know why anyone is thrashing OP for doing preventive maintenance on his car. Any UOA shows high wear metals to at least 5000 miles. I change my oil twice in 1000 miles on all my new cars and do WOT pulls in 2nd gear with 4 miles on the odometer after oil is at temp. Leak down tests are perfect and 0 of my cars burn any oil with consistent abuse and spirited driving. Enjoy your car op!

^^^^^^^^^
01.gif

And
welcome2.gif

Tire repair system ...³...³...³...³
You just proved my hate for Toyota Prius
Move over next time a fossil fuel burning behemoth is
Pushing you out of the way

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Tire repair system ...³...³...³...³
You just proved my hate for Toyota Prius
Move over next time a fossil fuel burning behemoth is
Pushing you out of the way

Let's get a couple things straight. First, YOU will never push me out of the way, whatever you're driving. I know how to drive, when I'm done passing, I get where I'm supposed to be. Get back with us when YOU've learned how to drive legally, safely and properly -- and with some manners.

Second, your grasp of logic is tenuous at best. Many other vehicles besides the Prius, and from other makers, have this questionable feature. And you seize upon it as a reason to "hate" the Toyota Prius? Very clever.

Third, I spent over thirty years as a U.S. Marine. I have commanded Marines in circumstances that would leave you on your knees in a puddle of your own "diesel exhaust fluid." I feel no irrational compulsion to attempt to establish my manliness by driving a diesel dually. . . Put another way, I'll drive whatever I like, I've earned the right to do so, and the presence of an insecure, knuckle-dragging tailgater is of zero consequence to me. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back