Filter options? Expensive or cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years I've run supertech filters and have been happy. For $2/pop you just cant beat them. They go on well, hold up great, and come off perfectly. They seem to do a great job keeping the oil clean, and I use them on 3k drains (lots of super short trip driving).

I will however be changing to synthetic, using my GM oil life monitor instead, and I'm interested in running a better filter. I have 2 main options right now - Mobil 1 and K&N. This is on a 3800-II V6 in a camaro, and I run the oversized PF52 oil filter (over 40% and 2" longer). In a Mobil its the M1-201. Because I'll be going up to 7500 miles, does anyone think that it would be worth the $6 for a M1 filter or $9 for a K&N? I hear Terry likes the K&N for filtration. Summitracing has the K&Ns cheap, and ebay is my friend on Mobil1 filters for $6/ea.

Give me some opinions - I know the supertech might work just fine, but perhaps I could do a little better?

I'm not giving my opinions on this subject matter anymore.
banghead.gif
burnout.gif
grin.gif

I know I know, I've read a lot. Sorry vad - I know your supertech stance. I just want someone to say "I have a UOA that proves my $8 filter kicks your $2 filter's bootay". I guess I'll stick with ST...

quote:

I will however be changing to synthetic, using my GM oil life monitor instead, and I'm interested in running a better filter. I have 2 main options right now - Mobil 1 and K&N. This is on a 3800-II V6 in a camaro, and I run the oversized PF52 oil filter (over 40% and 2" longer). In a Mobil its the M1-201. Because I'll be going up to 7500 miles, does anyone think that it would be worth the $6 for a M1 filter or $9 for a K&N? I hear Terry likes the K&N for filtration. Summitracing has the K&Ns cheap, and ebay is my friend on Mobil1 filters for $6/ea.

Give me some opinions - I know the supertech might work just fine, but perhaps I could do a little better?

Mobil 1 appear to be good filter choice, but for a little more why not choose the best - Amsoil EA -
wink.gif

Last OCI I ran Mobil 1 and Wix filter. This time I'm running Mobil 1 and Amsoil EA011 for 7K OCI. Oil appear to be much cleaner at this point than in previous OCI.

There may be data showing engines last longer with more expensive filters, but haven't seen much of it here. ST 3950 on my truck, and Purolator Plus L 15436 on my car.

use the $2 supertech filters. they are quality units as a super price. there may be filters that do a slightly better job, but no filter is as cost effective as supertech.

you gotta look at the price to performance ratio. a supertech costs $2. an amsoil costs what $25? given the amsoil is over 12 times the price, you think its going to filter 12 times better than supertech, or last 12 times longer? no way.

supertech wins in almost every application when you look at the price to performance ratio.

Whats the beta/ratio- flow characteristics (GPM) on the different filters in question?This is basically what you are paying for in a higher end filter...improvement in the above mentioned..either/or.

Master ACiD wrote:
quote:

you gotta look at the price to performance ratio.

Why?
quote:

a supertech costs $2. an amsoil costs what $25?

I pay < USD$15.00 for Amsoil EA oil filters. Cheap insurance to help ensure longevity of a car I like very much.

If you want to put the cheapest stuf on your car, then do that. It doesn't bother me at all.
quote:

given the amsoil is over 12 times the price, you think its going to filter 12 times better than supertech, or last 12 times longer? no way.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

If you do max OCI runs, use a good filter.

You can define "good filter" yourself. Whenever I look at ST filters the threads are CRAP. When I bought a NAPA GOLD the threads were CRAP. (yeah WIX, same assembler as EaO, but better media in the EaO)

However Amsoil EaO oil filters are not $25!

BTW I'm using a Fromda filter in the Ody and a EaO in the Volvo.

Pablo: define CRAP when it comes to threads.

Considering the SuperTech threads, or any Champ made base plate assembly, uses rolled threads where all the metal stays in the baseplate as opposed to cut threads where metal is shaved off to create the threads....define what you consider crap.

After the threads are rolled at Champ, the baseplate goes through a parts washer which also uses anti-rust fluid to prevent rust.

So i'm curious..what makes a filter become described as "crap" threads?

Pablo,

quote:

Whenever I look at ST filters the threads are CRAP.

Is there any photos of the Supertechs that you can see the "crap" threads?

I've never had a problem with spinning on the filter with no problems and taking it off with ease.

Never had one refuse to go on or get loose and leak.

Just wondering what to look for?
dunno.gif

Here is a photo of 2 supertechs where you can see the threads in this thread, Do they have the bad threads?
confused.gif

Last message on this page for Supertech photos.

(when I take photos of filters, I really do not get a good thread shot since I've never had a problem, but on this shot I think the threads are in good focus)

I did see your Napa filter and agree there was something wrong there and that would cause a problem later, but I've never seen anything like that on the many filters I've used (Fram, Supertech, Purolater, Toyota OEM, STP, Bosch)

Just trying to learn.
twak.gif

Thanks, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: My dads Honda Powered Vue (same engine as your vans) MPG has been getting better in the last 5k miles (21k on engine now) and his all time best for a trip was 31.2! This is over a 750 mile trip. Before he was getting around 27-28. (he drives the same
grin.gif
) Hopefully your Van will get better with miles!
cheers.gif

I don't take photos at the store. I haven't been to Walmart for awhile, but it seems every time I would open a box it would actually have some thread "issues" as described above. Maybe next time I'll buy one just for photos. Obviously this is not the most important feature of an oil filter and I'm sorry for stepping on the toes of ST lovers. I am not saying these thread issues would inhibit threading onto the nipple, but they inhibit me from buying them!

offtopic.gif
PS: I venture to guess a VUE is a bit lighter in mass than an Odyssey, but our mileage is slowly improving.

quote:

you gotta look at the price to performance ratio. a supertech costs $2. an amsoil costs what $25? given the amsoil is over 12 times the price, you think its going to filter 12 times better than supertech, or last 12 times longer? no way.

I agree that price to performance is important. However, it would not have to be 12 times better to be worth the money. In your example above it would have to be $23 better to be worth the money. That is a lot different than 12 times better. However, as Pablo noted, Ea filters are only about $15.

I will not put a $2 filter on my vehicle. Spending $10 on a filter is an insignificant spec on the total cost to operate my vehicle. The cheapest I will go is a $8 Purolator Pure One.

Why not try a happy medium? I use Baldwin filters. They cost me $5.50 locally. Better than ST, and as good as Amsoil, and cheaper. Does anyone agree? I have an amsoil filter that looks identical to the Baldwin.

"I hear Terry likes the K&N for filtration. "

I did not know that? Some say that K&N flows well, but filters poorly. I do not think they have the data to back it up. I used a K&N once and my insolubles were very low.(which is good) Remember a K&N is a Champion filter with the media specified by K&N. (the makers of the high flow poor filtering air filters). The M1 filter is a Champion filter with the media specified by M1. Personally, I trust Mobil more.

Heh... everyone has their opinions on oil filters. I think it all comes down to personal preference. If you aren't comfortable putting a $2 oil filter on your car, then don't do it... there are plenty of options out there.

However, I have yet to hear any instances where someone had any engine problems related to the filter they used (including Fram).

It's like oil... some people only use synthetic while other use conventional.

I personally use either Purolator Premium Plus or ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back