K&N Premium Filter is nothing more than a Supertech

Years ago wasn’t K&N debunked (air filters) by some guy with expensive bench testing equipment? I was one of those who sought 2HP extra and thought it was a swindle 😁

As well - Champ XL is the same as a Supertech except with a nitrile ADBV -

I am not sure its always been this way. Since M&H and First brands consolidated everyone else, they have been taking short cuts everywhere - relying on brand loyalty of the premium brands to overpay for average de-featured products.

I just received my order of 2 K&N oil filters HP-1010 directly from K&N, they look I identical to the Supertech filters, with the exception of the nut welded to the top, even has the plastic cage inside, 3 times the cost.

Will not buy these ever again. just a FYI
I would argue the K&N Premium is a WORSE filter than the ST MP series and the Champ XLs, the spot welded on nut is a major cracking & rust liability. I have a few of their Select filters left from a WM closeout of a couple years ago, but the K&N filters are a ripoff compared to virtually any other Champ filter.

I am not sure it’s always been this way. Since M&H and First brands consolidated everyone else, they have been taking short cuts everywhere - relying on brand loyalty of the premium brands to overpay for average de-featured products.
K&N has been made by a bunch of filter manufacturers, I’m waiting for Chinese ones next, $15+ for $2-$3 Premium Guards! That’s the way to fleece REAL money!

Years ago wasn’t K&N debunked (air filters) by some guy with expensive bench testing equipment? I was one of those who sought 2HP extra and thought it was a swindle 😁
Well -actually it was a guy with a shop vac and a some hoses, and he had the wrong test procedure, so his results where flawed.
Only a few folks understand how K&N wet filters functioning totally different from regular dry filters.

Only a few folks understand how K&N wet filters functioning totally different from regular dry filters.
Yes, they have holes in the media because the fibers have to have room to vibrate and catch the dust particles. So says some engine wizard that claims to have helped design them.

Engine draws air through oil soaked filter media. Dust/dirt gets trapped in the oil.
So complicated... 🥱

BTW, some turbocharged applications can pull the oil straight off the filter 🫤

I would argue the K&N Premium is a WORSE filter than the ST MP series and the Champ XLs, the spot welded on nut is a major cracking & rust liability. I have a few of their Select filters left from a WM closeout of a couple years ago, but the K&N filters are a ripoff compared to virtually any other Champ filter.
+1

I never used them due to the few that I saw leaking oil from where the nut was welded on the end of the canister.

Well -actually it was a guy with a shop vac and a some hoses, and he had the wrong test procedure, so his results where flawed.
This one?

It wasn't performed with a shop vac, it used THE standard test procedure, ISO 5011, for air filters:
ISO said:
This document establishes and specifies uniform test procedures, conditions, equipment and a performance report to permit the direct laboratory performance comparison of air cleaners.

The basic performance characteristics of greatest interest are air flow restriction or differential pressure, dust collection efficiency, dust capacity and oil carry-over on oil bath air cleaners. This test code therefore deals with the measurement of these parameters.

This document is applicable to air cleaners used on internal combustion engines and compressors generally used in automotive and industrial applications.

Engine draws air through oil soaked filter media. Dust/dirt gets trapped in the oil.
So complicated... 🥱

BTW, some turbocharged applications can pull the oil straight off the filter 🫤
Here is an interesting video, worth the 17 min watch. Some of the "does the oil come off the filter" testing starting at ~10:00.

Back