K&N HP-1010 Oil Filter

Messages
1,006
Location
Sheboygan
I tried out the K&N HP-1010 oil filter on my 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5L. I got a deal on at AAP for buying it with the oil and I am disappointed with it. Of note though when I began unscrewing the oil filter it seems like the entire content of oil came rushing out and began to pool around the filter rather quickly. I don't recall having this happen with any of the other oil filters I have used on my 2018 Outbacks. It uses a nitrile anti-drainback valve that apparently ceased to function as intended during the 6000 mile interval. Aside from that the engine just seemed a little off, it just didn't run as well as it did when using a Subaru OEM blue oil filter or a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. I remember at one point just a few days after putting the K&N on that I started up the car and it ran for about 30 seconds and then just stopped for no reason. It could be a lot of things but it never happened otherwise. I will not be buying another K&N oil filter.
 
Messages
2,609
Location
CenTX
Originally Posted by Ignatius
I tried out the K&N HP-1010 oil filter on my 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5L. I got a deal on at AAP for buying it with the oil and I am disappointed with it. Of note though when I began unscrewing the oil filter it seems like the entire content of oil came rushing out and began to pool around the filter rather quickly. I don't recall having this happen with any of the other oil filters I have used on my 2018 Outbacks. It uses a nitrile anti-drainback valve that apparently ceased to function as intended during the 6000 mile interval. Aside from that the engine just seemed a little off, it just didn't run as well as it did when using a Subaru OEM blue oil filter or a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. I remember at one point just a few days after putting the K&N on that I started up the car and it ran for about 30 seconds and then just stopped for no reason. It could be a lot of things but it never happened otherwise. I will not be buying another K&N oil filter.
...Subaru filters use nitrile ADBVS as well, that probably wasnt your reason for "failure" ...most on here recommend OEM filters for Subarus, why? Subaru filters have a 23-27 psi relief, the only other company I know who makes a filter with that is Wix, who makes a Subaru-specific filter, Wix 57055. I wouldnt be putting a HP1010 OR a XG7317 on any Subaru I owned. Theres plenty of reading on why the bypass is so high and why you shouldnt.
 
Last edited:

Ignatius

Thread starter
Messages
1,006
Location
Sheboygan
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by Ignatius
I tried out the K&N HP-1010 oil filter on my 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5L. I got a deal on at AAP for buying it with the oil and I am disappointed with it. Of note though when I began unscrewing the oil filter it seems like the entire content of oil came rushing out and began to pool around the filter rather quickly. I don't recall having this happen with any of the other oil filters I have used on my 2018 Outbacks. It uses a nitrile anti-drainback valve that apparently ceased to function as intended during the 6000 mile interval. Aside from that the engine just seemed a little off, it just didn't run as well as it did when using a Subaru OEM blue oil filter or a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. I remember at one point just a few days after putting the K&N on that I started up the car and it ran for about 30 seconds and then just stopped for no reason. It could be a lot of things but it never happened otherwise. I will not be buying another K&N oil filter.
...Subaru filters use nitrile ADBVS as well, that probably wasnt your reason for "failure" ...most on here recommend OEM filters for Subarus, why? Subaru filters have a 23-27 psi relief, the only other company I know who makes a filter with that is Wix, who makes a Subaru-specific filter, Wix 57055. I wouldnt be putting a HP1010 OR a XG7317 on any Subaru I owned. Theres plenty of reading on why the bypass is so high and why you shouldnt.
Hi I run SubaruOutback.org and we have discussed the bypass subject to death as has been done on BITOG. There are two things to understand here: 1. Fram makes the Subaru OEM Blue oil filter and it is nothing more than a Fram Extra Guard in a blue can with a specific bypass spec. You may not know this but the filter is made to accomodate a max output of 16 gallons per minute, the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter has a max flow of 18 gallons per minute thus it can utilize a lower bypass spec. I think Fram knows what they are doing when they create a specific product for a specific engine application, be it an OEM or Ultra Synthetic oil filter, and if you don't think so than you have just shot down your own bypass argument. 2. How often does an OEM, K&N, or Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter go into bypass? Pressure differential tells us that it is rare and when it occurs it is usually only for mere seconds. I will take better efficiency 99+% of the time versus a bypass spec that only matters in extreme rare occasions. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
Messages
10,012
Location
Waco, TX
Originally Posted by Ignatius
2. How often does an OEM, K&N, or Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter go into bypass? Pressure differential tells us that it is rare and when it occurs it is usually only for mere seconds. I will take better efficiency 99+% of the time versus a bypass spec that only matters in extreme rare occasions. Thank you.
Agree 100%.
 

Al

Messages
19,272
Location
Elizabethtown, Pa
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Ignatius
2. How often does an OEM, K&N, or Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter go into bypass? Pressure differential tells us that it is rare and when it occurs it is usually only for mere seconds. I will take better efficiency 99+% of the time versus a bypass spec that only matters in extreme rare occasions. Thank you.
Agree 100%.
+2. Its not an issue. My old 08 never saw an oem after the original was changed out. I now have an '18 and '19. Both have the Ultra.
 
Messages
1,410
Location
Western Canada
One reason given for the higher by-pass spec was to minimize the number of by-pass events, or reduce the time duration of each event of the filter being in by-pass mode, to prevent the possible washing of filter debris into the downstream oil flow. This debris could clog the ultra-fine banjo bolt screens leading into the turbo, impeding oil flow and killing the turbo. Turbo's only ... and usually on cars with a questionable oil change history. Think sludge ... [Linked Image]
 
Messages
1,410
Location
Western Canada
My Subaru Impreza ( non - turbo ) hasn't had an OEM oil filter on it since the first oil change ... 8 years ago. Now at 100k miles, engine runs excellent, and oil consumption is about the same ( 1 quart / 3-4000 miles ). And, with probably hundreds of extreme cold starts ( 0 * F or colder ) in winter. If the higher by-pass is doing something on the non-turbo engines, I don't know what it is ... Current filter is a Napa Gold 7055 ( WIX ), which actually DOES have the higher by-pass spec ... if you MUST have the higher by-pass pressure spec, this is a very well built filter.
 
Last edited:
Messages
14,673
Location
The Old North State
Originally Posted by geeman789
...Current filter is a Napa Gold 7055 ( WIX ), which actually DOES have the higher by-pass spec ... if you MUST have the higher by-pass pressure spec, this is a very well built filter...
That's good information for Suby owners concerned about the bypass spec. I also read in this thread that the Subaru filter excepting bypass spec is the same as a Fram orange can. That being the case, 'if' true would mean it has same efficiency rating. I'd be surprised if Subaru released or published that information for confirmation. I've not seen it. For comparison, the one data point information for similar Fram made Honda A02 and Toyoto Denso, those showed much lower efficiency than the EG rating.
 
Top