2019 Acura RDX Oil Filter

Filter paper ripping open usually near where it is glued at the metal end caps.
Thanks. I use the Honda OEM filter. Is that cheapo crap? Should I use a better filter? I have always used OE filters on my cars due to the fact that the manufacture engineered it to work with the engine for optimum performance. However, the quality I am questioning a bit and I know almost nothing about this stuff but just want to be proactive. My Acura RDX was expensive and I need to keep it LONG term...
Thanks

Thanks. I use the Honda OEM filter. Is that cheapo crap? Should I use a better filter? I have always used OE filters on my cars due to the fact that the manufacture engineered it to work with the engine for optimum performance. However, the quality I am questioning a bit and I know almost nothing about this stuff but just want to be proactive. My Acura RDX was expensive and I need to keep it LONG term...
Thanks
personally, i wouldn’t use the honda filter due to it being a fiber end cap filter. but you are correct, the engine design included that filter to live through the warranty period. i’m someone who prioritizes clean oil over my OCI’s so i choose high efficiency filters.

personally, i wouldn’t use the honda filter due to it being a fiber end cap filter. but you are correct, the engine design included that filter to live through the warranty period. i’m someone who prioritizes clean oil over my OCI’s so i choose high efficiency filters.
What would you say to the below? I found this info. I am really conflicted here about which way to go. I do not want to use a filter that would harm our factory warranty. If there are any issues and you use something other than OEM, I think the manufacturer uses it as ammunition to say NO to factory warranty repairs.....

Screenshot_20240526_182522_Chrome.jpg

What would you say to the below? I found this info. I am really conflicted here about which way to go. I do not want to use a filter that would harm our factory warranty. If there are any issues and you use something other than OEM, I think the manufacturer uses it as ammunition to say NO to factory warranty repairs.....

View attachment 221589
I don't like the newer Honda filers, because the older Filtech was nicer in my opinion. But with that said, if Honda's Oil filters (fiber end caps) were so bad, why aren't we seeing a lot of Honda engine failures due to oil filter problems? It's a known fact that the OEM's like Honda and Toyota favor oil flow over filtration. It's why people can argue the aftermarket has better filtration, they do.. But it really makes me wonder why Toyota (for instance) chose oil flow over filtration.. Probably because oil flow is the life of an engine, cut that and who cares about what it filtered if nothing is being lubricated!

I don't think you would have any issues using the Honda filter. If you worried and want something better the Premium Guard made filters (you can find a lot of cut apart threads on BITOG) is a really nice one too.

oh and to the argument about the oem denying warranty because an aftermarket filter was used.. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act prevents them from doing that.. They would have to prove through an engineering autopsy that the aftermarket filter caused the failure. OEM's deny warranty all the time just to save $$$ even when people DO use their OEM parts! Hyundai didn't do much until a class action lawsuit with their engines.

oh and to the argument about the oem denying warranty because an aftermarket filter was used.. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act prevents them from doing that.. They would have to prove through an engineering autopsy that the aftermarket filter caused the failure. OEM's deny warranty all the time just to save $$$ even when people DO use their OEM parts! Hyundai didn't do much until a class action lawsuit with their engines.
Yes, the bold part is the key to understanding the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. The MM warranty act basically says that a car manufacture can not deny or cancel the whole warranty on the vehicle just because a non-OEM part was used on it. In other words, they could not deny the warranty on a failed windshield wiper motor because you used a non-OEM oil filter.

However, if they can prove that the oil filter caused some failure or damage, then they have every right to deny the warranty on that situation. Many people believe the MM warranty act makes the manufacture cover warranty of damage caused by aftermarket parts, but it does not.

Back