2019 Acura RDX Oil Filter

Hello,
I picked up an OE oil filter on my 2019 Acura RDX the the other day and compared it to a M1 filter. I was shocked as the M1 filter was much heavier and that made me think the OE filter is cheap. Any thoughts on that? Anyone can provide thoughts on what is an excellent value filter for this car would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Do your filters take rock and gravel hits often? - if not the can thickness is irrelevant.
Lots of upheaval in the aftermarket filter world; some once-respected brands have gone to the off shore island of misfits.
Others will surely chime in with suggestions.

Current Honda Part Number? 15400-PLM-A02 ?

Do your filters take rock and gravel hits often? - if not the can thickness is irrelevant.
Lots of upheaval in the aftermarket filter world; some once-respected brands have gone to the off shore island of misfits.
Others will surely chime in with suggestions.

Current Honda Part Number? 15400-PLM-A02 ?
Yes, part number is 15400-PLM-0A2. No rock and gravel hits. Had no problems with oil filter but been researching and wow, opened up a can of worms....seems like the OE does not provide 99% efficiency like the others are quoting. I am not very knowledgeable and asking for any help..
Thanks again!

Yes, part number is 15400-PLM-0A2. No rock and gravel hits. Had no problems with oil filter but been researching and wow, opened up a can of worms....seems like the OE does not provide 99% efficiency like the others are quoting. I am not very knowledgeable and asking for any help..
Thanks again!
On a tiny filter, flow is more important. You are not going to kill your engine sooner with this efficiency difference.
Look to the engine Air filter to keep dirt out of the engine. Also don't over service the air filter - just peaking at it periodically usually lets large amounts of dirt into the intake.
Remove the Air filter only when you are going to change it.

I would just stick with the Blue (Fram) Honda part. It is and upgraded, quality version of Fram Orange can and it has the much desired captured P gasket on the base to all but eliminate weeping and over torquing. Thick Flat gaskets can leak and distort and cook onto the filter mount.

Otherwise this is the universal Asian engine filter used on most imports (though not Toyota). The Mazda Tokyo Roki (Japan) is likely the best quality OE filter you could get your hands on. As a CAUTION I would investigate the bypass setting on any alternative to make sure it not overly high. - Arco

Wow! Thanks. Great info! You seem very knowledgeable. Appreciate it!

Some depends on whether you want a standard life filter or an extended life filter. Don't be afraid to check out Premium Guard, Ecogard and Pentius brands to go along with Fram, Wix, ACDelco, etc. There are lots of choices on Amazon.

I change my oil and filter every 5000 miles. Seems to be a whole lot of marketing going on these days. I do not care about name brand but just seek best quality at reasonable price. Will never let my car go extended OCIs....

Imo, weight not a reliable indicator of much anything in oil filters. AO2 is going to be lighter than M1 and others because it uses lighter fiber end caps.

Lots of excellent aftermarket choices for Honda/Acura in equivalent 7317 size. Want to go to the top, Fram Endurance 7317 for $13. Want to pay less, the previously mentioned Carquest Prem. 84356 a good choice now for <$7. Wouldn't be concerned with sealing gasket type either. IME, standard flat gasket works just fine on Hondas. Imo, only minor advantage to P type gasket, less likely to stick to block mating surface on removal. Since wiping block mating area after removal best practice, 'shouldn't' be a factor. There are other good options, but that's a place to start.

Or, you can use the A02 made to Honda specs, by Fram.

Last edited:
I change my oil and filter every 5000 miles. Seems to be a whole lot of marketing going on these days. I do not care about name brand but just seek best quality at reasonable price. Will never let my car go extended OCIs....
best bet is the carquest premium from AAP or Microgard select from orileys for cheap high quality filters. if you want the best of the best available at the moment, Fram Endurance from walmart.

Thanks again!
Filters provide 99% efficiency but you'd need to know the micron rating to tell how well it filtered at 99%. The OEM filters usually prefer a good balance of cost/efficiency/capacity. That M1 filter could be more durable but could come down to simply heavier base plate. You'd have to chop them up to really compare the two.

... . Wouldn't be concerned with sealing gasket type either. IME, standard flat gasket works just fine on Hondas. Imo, only minor advantage to P type gasket, less likely to stick to block mating surface on removal. Since wiping block mating area after removal best practice, 'shouldn't' be a factor. There are other good options, but that's a place to start. ... .
I posted photos here of a Fram Ultra gasket melting to the engine. Happened twice on two different cars. It was extremely hard to torque off the filter. Don't know if this is a materials issue or a Subaru issue. I tend to the former. Maddening none the less.

I posted photos here of a Fram Ultra gasket melting to the engine. Happened twice on two different cars. It was extremely hard to torque off the filter. Don't know if this is a materials issue or a Subaru issue. I tend to the former. Maddening none the less.
Where are the pics? I do not see them.

Those are certainly anecdotes. Otoh, over many years I've used filters of different brands with standard design nitrile sealing gasket on many Hondas, Nissan and Toyota. Installed as best practice recommended, and never had any issue, let alone melting gasket.

As I've mentioned in the past, only issue I've had was with dealer installed Toyota Denso OEM with p-type gasket. It leaked, suspect it was over tightened. Dealer replaced foc. No experience with Subaru, other than seeing the ring of fire location on some, so can't speak to them. As mentioned, in my experience with topic Honda/Acura, standard gasket type work fine.

Last edited:
Back