2019 Acura RDX Oil Filter

It’s actually closer to get the TG7317. The amount of filter media is closer to the Honda filter
Do you know where I can find the specs on the OEM filter? For example: What percentage of filtering at 20 or 30 microns?
Thanks

Those are certainly anecdotes. Otoh, over many years I've used filters of different brands with standard design nitrile sealing gasket on many Hondas, Nissan and Toyota. Installed as best practice recommended, and never had any issue, let alone melting gasket.

As I've mentioned in the past, only issue I've had was with dealer installed Toyota Denso OEM with p-type gasket. It leaked, suspect it was over tightened. Dealer replaced foc. No experience with Subaru, other than seeing the ring of fire location on some, so can't speak to them. As mentioned, in my experience with topic Honda/Acura, standard gasket type work fine.
All we have is anecdotes. Never experienced the melting issue in the past either. Did experience distorted and leaking flat gaskets here and there over half a century. Professional (ret.) here so proper install of course.
BTW the FB series engine uses an inverted top mount now, so filter can is not encircled by the converter like the EJ253

Last edited:
Where are the pics? I do not see them.
Posted in another thread August '23

Not much to see. I removed a pricey Fram Ultra due to noisy engine start and run and replaced it with a Supertech MP (sadly no longer sold locally). Once the canister was spun off with extra-ordinary effort, it wasn't terribly hard to peel off the gasket - so more at stuck on.

20230731_144557.jpg

All we have is anecdotes....
In this case, correct. I'd say since mine specifically with Honda/Acura, imo more relevant/applicable to topic vehicle.

Do you know where I can find the specs on the OEM filter?
As it's OEM, unlikely to find any efficiency info from Honda. For OEMs, generally efficiency proprietary. In 2011 Amsoil sponsored an ISO standard efficiency test of several OEMs that showed the A02 to be ~67% @20um

Carquest premium 84356. premium guard made. heavy duty construction silicone gasket/adbv for $7 before discount codes.
This one is most interesting to me. I looked at it and the gasket is made almost exactly like the OEM and this one has synthetic internals vs just paper. Price is great. How long you been using this? Ever had any problems with it? I am a bit concerned that the synthetic internal material will change the pressures and oil flow thru the filter (more restrictive). Any thoughts on this would be helpful. My understanding is the OEM filter will filter out approximately at 67% greater than 30 microns. So, I am seeking something a bit better than this but that will NOT change or affect internal pressures of oil flow in filter and engine.
Thanks

This one is most interesting to me. I looked at it and the gasket is made almost exactly like the OEM and this one has synthetic internals vs just paper. Price is great. How long you been using this? Ever had any problems with it? I am a bit concerned that the synthetic internal material will change the pressures and oil flow thru the filter (more restrictive). Any thoughts on this would be helpful. My understanding is the OEM filter will filter out approximately at 67% greater than 30 microns. So, I am seeking something a bit better than this but that will NOT change or affect internal pressures of oil flow in filter and engine.
Thanks
your engine will not feel a difference in dp/flow. the carquest premium filters are the only filters i buy now other than fram endurances.

your engine will not feel a difference in dp/flow. the carquest premium filters are the only filters i buy now other than fram endurances.
Nice. Thanks a lot for sharing. It is challenging to sift thru all the marketing BS these days in the filter and oil products...

I am a bit concerned that the synthetic internal material will change the pressures and oil flow thru the filter (more restrictive).
You can't tell how any oil filter will flow just by looking at it - it would have to be flow tested to know for sure how the dP vs flow behaves. Pretty much every oil filter will flow fine an the engine won't care because they all will only have a few PSI of flow dP difference at high engine RPM (high oil flow rate) when the oil is hot.

What "synthetic internal material" are you talking about?

Last edited:
For part #84356

• Protection for up to 10,000 miles
  • Synthetic blend media provides 99.5% efficiency at 20 microns and 2X capacity vs. Standard filters
  • Solid metal end caps are designed to be long lasting
  • Silicone anti-drain back valve for engine start-up protection
  • Heavy-duty steel baseplate provides additional strength to resist leakage
  • Heavy gauge steel canister withstands high pressure operating conditions
  • Silicone sealing gasket performs better in extreme temperature conditions and longer drain intervals (silicone gasket is new feature introduced as a running change)
  • Meets requirements for maintaining new vehicle warranties

Synthetic blended filter media can flow better than pure cellulose media, and full synthetic media can flow better than all of them. But flow vs dP performance is also a function of total media area. Worrying about oil filter "flow" is a waste of time unless you're in a race car at redline most of the time.

Synthetic blended filter media can flow better than pure cellulose media, and full synthetic media can flow better than all of them. But flow vs dP performance is also a function of total media area. Worrying about oil filter "flow" is a waste of time unless you're in a race car at redline most of the time.
I could not find any specs on the OE to compare with the others so why I am reaching out to the community for knowledge on this....

The Carquest filter looks like a good filter and not very expensive for what it is per the advertised specs. I wouldn't worry about "flow".

Ahh, the sentient engine!
It will feel pain when you tear a pleat or two (not uncommon) and you are bypassing a good percent of the pumped oil through a rip. This happened in our fleet a couple of times across winter. One bitten, twice shy.
I think there is a reason many guys critical about filter performance chose a quality filter with wire or mesh backed synthetic media
that evidences excellent dirt capacity along with high efficiency and "flow" capability.

I have bumped into a few "filter related" issue over the past two decades. Something you shouldn't have to worry about - and haven't given it much thought on the past - then it rears its head in odd ways and starts damaging your engine. Frustrating and maddening.

Ahh, the sentient engine!
It will feel pain when you tear a pleat or two (not uncommon) and you are bypassing a good percent of the pumped oil through a rip. This happened in our fleet a couple of times across winter. One bitten, twice shy.
I think there is a reason many guys critical about filter performance chose a quality filter with wire or mesh backed synthetic media
that evidences excellent dirt capacity along with high efficiency and "flow" capability.

I have bumped into a few "filter related" issue over the past two decades. Something you shouldn't have to worry about - and haven't given it much thought on the past - then it rears its head in odd ways and starts damaging your engine. Frustrating and maddening.
i don’t know if you see all the filters i cut open, but as i said carquest premiums or endurances are all i buy now due to tearing issues. my personal vehicles all run on OG wire backed titanium’s.

i don’t know if you see all the filters i cut open, but as i said carquest premiums or endurances are all i buy now due to tearing issues. my personal vehicles all run on OG wire backed titanium’s.
What are tearing issues?

What are tearing issues?
M+H built Mobil 1 filters are tearing in service at the moment, new style fram ultra/titanium’s are tearing. at the moment, i only trust wire backed filters from the US brands and then any of the premium guard filters.

Back