Wix = Nominal (50%) at 21 microns? (Corvette LT1 Filter Options)

I've been reviewing the oil filter options for my 1992 Lingenfelter Corvette, I know a lot of people swear by Wix filters, but I was surprised that the Wix was listed as Nominal at 21um. It seems like this drops Wix to the bottom the options - unless I'm missing something?

Corvette LT1 Engine:

FRAM 3980 99%@20um​
Bosch 3430 99%@20um​
Mobil 1 M1-201A 99%@30um​
Wix 51036 50%@21um
AC-Delco PF52E 98%@20-30um (hard to find, this was on one retailer site - is it correct?)
K&N HP-2001 ? (seems impossible to find current info)​
Purolator Boss PBL24011 99%@25um​

wix.jpg

Yes, remove Wix from the list if you want good filtering. Been that way for a long time.
95% efficiency @ 20um is pretty good though - right?

@drtyler wrote "Beta ratio of 2/20 = 6/20 translates to 50% efficiency @ 6um and 95% efficiency @ 20um."

95% efficiency @ 20um is pretty good though - right?

@drtyler wrote "Beta ratio of 2/20 = 6/20 translates to 50% efficiency @ 6um and 95% efficiency @ 20um."
It's on par with a standard filter. If you can get a Tough Guard or Pure One for around the same price why mess with less filtering. I run a wix coolant filter so I'm not knocking them on everything but then again I don't need great filtering on coolant system.

Even standard Purolator is 96.5%@20

Beta ratio of 2/20 = 6/20 translates to 50% efficiency @ 6um and 95% efficiency @ 20um.
+1 ... The Wix "Nominal Micron Rating" doesn't agree with their beta efficiency rating. Nobody has been able to find out what their "Nominal" rating really means. Wix seems to make up their own definitions, so their "nominal" may be more like "absolute", which would correlate better to their beta info.

It's also likely that neither their beta ratio nor nominal micron rating is accurate for your particular filter as Wix white washes both figures. Wix has never really been known for high filtration efficiency.

Let me add a few

AC Delco UPF52R

Wix is 99% at 23 microns…

I see Wix 85036, a Carquest Private label, for $1.77…
Same 99% at 23 microns

When I contacted WIX I was told
57502 99% efficient at 21 micron

57502XP 99% efficient at 35 micron

They say that about every filter because it's all white washed. I asked about the Wix 10255XP and they gave me the exact same micron ratings, but the actual ISO 4548-12 results, done by Ascent Filtration Testing and posted on here, showed it was just 87% @ 35 um and 61% @ 20 um.

They say that about every filter because it's all white washed. I asked about the Wix 10255XP and they gave me the exact same micron ratings,
Maybe they are basing it on one of their large sized filters, like Purolator and others do. Did you ask what reference filter the ISO efficiency test was based on? The larger the filter, the better it will typically do in the ISO 4548-12 efficiency test.

Maybe they are basing it on one of their large sized filters, like Purolator and others do. Did you ask what reference filter the ISO efficiency test was based on? The larger the filter, the better it will typically do in the ISO 4548-12 efficiency test.

They base it off the larger 51515 filter, which those results would be believable. I just don't like that they apply that rating to all filters. It comes across as deceptive and unethical to me. Either advertise that specific filter's filtration efficiency or don't advertise it.

They base it off the larger 51515 filter, which those results would be believable. I just don't like that they apply that rating to all filters. It comes across as deceptive and unethical to me. Either advertise that specific filter's filtration efficiency or don't advertise it.
That would be a way too extensive task to test every oil filter model. At least Fram uses 3 different sized filter models to base their ISO efficiency ratings on.

Last edited:
That would be way a too extensive task to test every oil filter model. At least Fram uses 3 different sized filter models to base their ISO efficiency ratings on.

I agree that it would be very extensive, but publishing a filtration number without actually testing it gets put under "unethical" to me. Sadly, most all filter brands do it to an extent, but just irks me. If they didn't put the fine print in there saying the rating is based on a different model, it would be a blatant FTC violation. I would rather they not publish a rating for untested models than post a false or misleading rating.

I agree that it would be very extensive, but publishing a filtration number without actually testing it gets put under "unethical" to me. Sadly, most all filter brands do it to an extent, but just irks me. If they didn't put the fine print in there saying the rating is based on a different model, it would be a blatant FTC violation. I would rather they not publish a rating for untested models than post a false or misleading rating.
I can't find any ISO 4545-12 testing reference anywhere on the actual WIX website - can you? So if they don't claim any efficiency spec/claim to ISO 4548-12 and only show their own beta efficiency info (in their own made up format, not the industry standard way of expressing it), then not much can be done to claim they are misleading anyone. It is what it is.

You are making more power than my stock 94 LT1 (my favorite corvette of the 3 I own) but regardless I think any upper tier oil filter will serve you well. I currently have a Bosch on mine but have used others just the same.

You are making more power than my stock 94 LT1 (my favorite corvette of the 3 I own) but regardless I think any upper tier oil filter will serve you well. I currently have a Bosch on mine but have used others just the same.
Yeah the Lingenfelter package brings it up to 440hp/430torque

Back