8 Top GM Oil Filters Cut Open - Fram, Bosch, Wix, Purolator, AC Delco

What octane do you run? just curious
Premium 92+

The car also came with another chip that’s optimized for 94 octane fuel but I’ve not tried it yet. (I don’t have access to 94 fuel.)

1691463156258.jpg

Last edited:
I HATE that I’m already updating this, and I wish I could edit the original post, but the Fram Titanium 3980 *has* transitioned to the non-backed synthetic blend media that’s now used in the new-ish Fram Ultra - but Titanium boxes still say they’re metal screen backed 😡 Thanks for the heads up @OVERKILL

I HATE that I’m already updating this, and I wish I could edit the original post, but the Fram Titanium 3980 *has* transitioned to the non-backed synthetic blend media that’s now used in the new-ish Fram Ultra - but Titanium boxes still say they’re metal screen backed 😡 Thanks for the heads up @OVERKILL

You MAY be able to find old stock at the store, look down the centre tube and see if you can see the wire backing through the holes.

Yeah, the Ultra's have the same issue. I think it's kind of sleazy of them to do that but they probably wager that most won't notice it while they transition to newer boxes that drop the metal backing statement.

Yeah, that's been going on for some time now, been reported by many and mentioned in many threads. Not all Titanium models are changing at the same time. So snag 'em if you see wire backed Titaniums.

Amazingly, the 99% at 20 micron Bosch Premium can be purchased 12 for $25!

OverstockDirect Premium Engine Oil Filter 3430 (12) https://a.co/d/hTuSfwh

Fwiw - I emailed Bosch to check and they said the filters depicted in this Amazon ad (white label) are the current design.

1691521978427.jpg

Last edited:
Amazingly, the 99% at 20 micron Bosch Premium can be purchased 12 for $25!

OverstockDirect Premium Engine Oil Filter 3430 (12) https://a.co/d/hTuSfwh

Fwiw - I emailed Bosch to check and they said the filters depicted in this Amazon ad (white label) are the current design.

View attachment 171593
The 3323 is probably the FL-1A size, Purolator was notorious for doing this.

The 3323 is probably the FL-1A size, Purolator was notorious for doing this.
My experience is that if I email Bosch/Purolator/Mann+Hummel they will reply with the actual efficiency for every filter.

I specifically inquired about Bosch 3430:

IMG_7687.jpeg

My experience is that if I email Bosch/Purolator/Mann+Hummel they will reply with the actual efficiency for every filter.

I specifically inquired about Bosch 3430:

View attachment 171625
They can just say that thinking all of them are 99% @ 20u, but if they sent you an actual spec sheet for a specific oil filter model like M+H does when someone asks about the efficiency of specific Purolator filters, then it would be more believable.

Contact them and ask them what the efficiency is of the same smallest filters in the Bosch line that M+H has given for the Purolator line. If they say one of their smallest sized filters is also 99% @ 20u I would really be skeptical.

They can just say that thinking all of them are 99% @ 20u, but if they sent you an actual spec sheet for a specific oil filter model like M+H does when someone asks about the efficiency of specific Purolator filters, then it would be more believable.

Contact them and ask them what the efficiency is of the same smallest filters in the Bosch line that M+H has given for the Purolator line. If they say one of their smallest sized filters is also 99% @ 20u I would really be skeptical.
Fram says every filter is 20 micron, Mobil 1 says every filter is 30, Bosch says every Premium filter is 20, Amsoil says every filter is 20 … it’s what they all do.

Fram says every filter is 20 micron,
No they don't. This has been discussed many times on what the efficiency statement Fram uses on their website means.

Mobil 1 says every filter is 30, Bosch says every Premium filter is 20, Amsoil says every filter is 20 … it’s what they all do.
And I highly doubt their claim of every sized filter they make is the same efficiency. Again, this has been discussed.

Look at this Bosch efficiency claim. It clearly says the efficiency is based on their model 3500, which is a large sized filter just like the Purolator 30001 which Purolator references. Yet we know from people contacting M+H about the PureOne filter efficiency that they definitely are not "all 99% @ 20u".

1691540658079.jpg

I’ve decided to just go OEM filters because I can’t keep up with downgrades being made to aftermarket filters. With OEM, manufacturers are probably all over it.

So, the 3323 matches the XG7317 whose dimensions are:
H: 3.469"
D: 2.688"

The 3430 matches the XG3980 whose dimensions are:
H: 4.939"
D: 2.984"

With the 3430 being a larger filter, the 99% at 20 microns claim seems reasonable.

The 3500 is the XG8A equivalent, which is cited for holding capacity per @ZeeOSix's post and the one I had assumed they were using for efficiency as well, as Purolator is famous for this. It's the largest standard filter with the following dimensions:
H: 5.105"
D: 3.797"

So, the 3323 matches the XG7317 whose dimensions are:
H: 3.469"
D: 2.688"
The Purolator PureOne PL14610 is basically the same size as the Bosch 3323 and the Fram 7317. Per the M+H spec sheet below, the PureOne PL14610 has an efficiency of 99% @ 30u ... not the "99% @ 20u" claimed for the 30001.

Robvette - to see if the Bosch Tech Dept is on the up and up, should contact them and ask what the efficiency is for the Bosch 3323. If they say it's also "99% @ 20u" I'd be skeptical since the Purolator PL14610 isn't.

Yes, the Bosch 3430 is pretty large, so it's reasonable it could be the claimed 99% @ 20u.

1691548475717.png

^^^ That's bogus or old incorrect info on the Purolator Boss efficiency - the Boss has never been that efficient, not even the giant sized PBL30001. That table, or that Boss efficiency claim is no where on Purolator's website. That table claims the Boss is more efficient that the PureOne ... don't think so.

But here is an official Spec Sheet from Purolator/M+H for that Boss PBL14610 that shows the efficiency is 99@ >46u and only 50% @ 22u.

1700278180197.png

^^^ That's bogus or old incorrect info on the Purolator Boss efficiency - the Boss has never been that efficient, not even the giant sized PBL30001. That table, or that Boss efficiency claim is no where on Purolator's website. That table claims the Boss is more efficient that the PureOne ... don't think so.

But here is an official Spec Sheet from Purolator/M+H for that Boss PBL14610 that shows the efficiency is 99@ >46u and only 50% @ 22u.

View attachment 189085
Perhaps you should sue Amazon/Purolator, etc.. for false advertising and performance claims.
Which table is the correct one?
Should we have a BITOG CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?🤔

Perhaps you should sue Amazon/Purolator, etc.. for false advertising and performance claims.
Which table is the correct one?
Should we have a BITOG CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?🤔
Here's another big disconnect. Purolator's website (link below) shows the Boss PBL30001 to be 99% @ 25u per ISO 4548-12. But the Spec Sheet for the same Boss PBL30001 filter shows that it's 99% >46u and 50% @ 22u. Just too many disconnects, and too much info showing the Boss isn't that efficient as the table you posted shows. What's the true info?

Also, Ascent's ISO 4548-12 test showed a Boss to be ~62% @ 20u (which would be pretty close to the 50% @ 22u in the Spec Sheet).

1700283516386.png

1700283542182.png

Spec Sheet for Boss PBL30001.
1700283586170.png

Last edited:
Back