Ferrari 812 Superfast Oil Consumption

Well if they built this engine anything like the F1 engines they are using oil consumption to make more power. Only that is illegal and they will eventually be told not to do that anymore and then the car will be very slow. :LOL: Even slower than a Honda.

It probably needs a 10W oil to keep the oil from basically becoming a film across the engine's valvetrain and burning off with heat.

It's also a Ferrari... the Italians are more interested in making a car that gives under-endowed men an opportunity to be attractive than designing and releasing to it's high-paying customers an engine that is even as (not) reliable as a Oldsmobile Achieva.

It probably needs a 10W oil to keep the oil from basically becoming a film across the engine's valvetrain and burning off with heat.

It's also a Ferrari... the Italians are more interested in making a car that gives under-endowed men an opportunity to be attractive than designing and releasing to it's high-paying customers an engine that is even as (not) reliable as a Oldsmobile Achieva.
Customer is paying technological breakthroughs and performance. Vehicles (or any machinery like that) is not nor it will ever be uber reliable.
Still, probably more reliable than half of GM products.

It needs a straight Winter rated oil?

1616682313854.jpg

Or perhaps you were trying to imply that an oil with a poorer Winter rating/narrower spread, like a 10w-30, might be less inclined to be consumed? That's not always the case. 10w-xx lubes can be blended quite cheaply using inexpensive base stocks and a good slug of VII. Yes, there are higher-end 10w-30's available that have no VII content, but those are quite rare.

“How did you break in the engine? How does the Ferrari state you should break-in the engine?
A lot of folks believe the first 50 miles are crucial for allowing the rings to seat, which often requires a good amount of engine load.”

I just picked up the car with 800mi on it already. When I was ready to custom order the car, they quit production of the hard top for the convertable. I had to settle for a “pre-owned” car. The break in period is sort of described like any other car but I do know that the factory runs these engines hard on the bench before they are installed on the car.

I am not sure what oil is in the engine. The owners manual states to use Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 but the USA shop service manual says to use Pennzoil Platinum 5W40.

The Enzo used no oil. It was run with 20 - 30 - 60 grades of oil. Of course it only had 650 ponies.

I really am stumped.

AEHaas
I do not get why you’re stumped, or would even care about oil consumption on your Ferrari - a car you probably won’t put 5,000 miles on. A classic definition of a first world problem. Wish I had your “problem”.

Scott

Edit: Any suggestion that thin oils are somehow greener than thick oils is ridiculous when you consider you’re driving a high horsepower V12 beast.

Last edited:
I do not get why you’re stumped, or would even care about oil consumption on your Ferrari - a car you probably won’t put 5,000 miles on. A classic definition of a first world problem. Wish I had your “problem”.

Scott

Edit: Any suggestion that thin oils are somehow greener than thick oils is ridiculous when you consider you’re driving a high horsepower V12 beast.
But why shouldn't he care about his car? Just because he was able to buy an expensive car why should he just accept problems with it? Perceived or not. Just curious.

Personally I would do what sonofsonof said and try the redline 20w50. Not the same engine by far but I notice my 981 uses a little more oil when I use it as a commuter. I have not really documented it but it's just a feeling. Perhaps you could do some track days at sebring and see how much oil it uses :)

But why shouldn't he care about his car? Just because he was able to buy an expensive car why should he just accept problems with it? Perceived or not. Just curious.

Personally I would do what sonofsonof said and try the redline 20w50. Not the same engine by far but I notice my 981 uses a little more oil when I use it as a commuter. I have not really documented it but it's just a feeling. Perhaps you could do some track days at sebring and see how much oil it uses :)
I rather my Ferrari use a little oil than I would having the engine taken out and messed with. There is nothing like factory original condition. And also, I'd never even consider running a non-approved oil in a car that has a $250K motor.

Scott

Last edited:
When you buy a car like this that is supposed to be in what we could refer to as the upper crust in cost and prestige well frankly I'd be expecting a whole lot more. In fact I'm likely going to use the money for that purchase on my next 10 Toyota's and have lots of money left over!

Sounds like jealousy...

You mad? He’s probably reading this on his cellphone while at a light or parked up in his Ferrari while you’re trying your best to be witty. Some things never change.

The best advice I can give is get the thickest approved oil available both at the lower end and higher end and see how it goes. Also, maybe an Italian tune up? Recorded? For us? Haha.

Had the Ferrari forum said anything regarding this issue?

It probably looks good. Just like the other supercars he has owned or maybe still owns. He was a regular contributor to the site, in the early days.
In my experience with ferrari owners I typically enjoy the parking space and its decorations as much as the vehicle.

You mad? He’s probably reading this on his cellphone while at a light or parked up in his Ferrari while you’re trying your best to be witty. Some things never change.

Well, first of all, I was successful as hell at being witty... and also sarcastic. I showed my comment to a girl at the bar and she gave me her number.

I've driven many Ferraris on circuits... but I've never driven them where there are stop lights. So, yeah, I guess I'm a little aggravated I haven't been able to commute in one.

Back