Ex-Marine undergoing gender reassignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said anything about ridicule? I said if you base your decisions primarily on feelings, then you'll be pretty selfish. What boundaries would you have? At the extreme, it's if it feels good (to me) do it. Regardless of how it makes others feel.

That holds true regardless your orientation or preference. Gay or straight, religious or not, and so on.

It's not an attack on any orientation, it's questioning the reasoning that we can or should be ruled by our feelings.

It was that sort of selfish feeling that enabled my ex-wife to be entitled to have an affair. It was all about her feelings, with no regard to her spouse or our children.

So when folks suggest making decisions based on feelings is a good thing, color me suspect given my experience with humanity.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: javacontour
We all have choices on how we behave, full stop. If you don't, then wouldn't that be a form of mental illness?

Let's assume everyone is of normal mental health. Gay or straight, we have some choices.

I'm attracted to redheaded women. That's my preference. But I don't try to make a baby with every redheaded woman I meet. I stay true to my wife. That's being in control of my behavior.

One can say they have certain attractions, and I'll buy that. What I don't buy is that we cannot control our behaviors. No one would accept my argument if I said I could help myself, I just had to have my way with that other woman.

I do have the choice to honor my vows or not. That's entirely on me. This is true regardless if I'm attracted to another woman, or thought I was born the wrong gender.

We may not be able to control how we feel. But we better be in full control of how we act on our feelings. Otherwise, if you accept justifications based on feelings, then everything is right and nothing is wrong.

Am I saying it's easy? Of course not. It is probably easier for me to avoid that redhead at the gym than it may be to avoid taking action on a sense of gender mis-identity. Or not.

I'm simply concerned that if we base it all off feelings, with no consequences for the behavior choices, chaos will ensue.
Originally Posted By: Laminar Lou
Pablo and Bryan,

First, thanks for your grown-up responses.

My wife and I have the "it's a choice/not a choice" debate every once in awhile. She has a strong religious background so she still believes it is a choice, but since we have mutual friends that are homosexuals I don't think you can make a blanket statement whether it is a choice or not. I know a [censored] that I think was more of a choice, but I know of another that I think was born that way.

In this instance, the urge has to be great to take on a surgery like this. His wife said it wasn't because he wanted to have sex with men. And, interestingly, she didn't think he was in any relationships currently.

I can't imagine that anyone would want the ridicule that is associated with becoming a transsexual on purpose. As Pablo said it; "People do what they have to do."

I find it difficult to imagine people ridicululing people who identify with any sexual identity or gender identify other than straight and what they physically were born as. Maybe my generation is a lot more tolerant and open minded than those that came before us, who's to say. But I fully support people's freedoms to do what they want.

And if there is an issue in the workplace, it's due to one of two things.

A. Someone in that environment decided that something that is in no way their business decided to make a stink of it

or

B. The person in question decided they wanted to flaunt and make a big deal of it

Guess which one is far more common these days? (Hint, it's not B)

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Only a man and a woman can create a child.

Is there anyone arguing this?

I think straight people lost their argument about marriage being a sacred bond when the divorce rate went over 50%.

People failing at marriage doesn't change the sacred nature of marriage. It does reflect on the people or the culture practicing it.

Last edited:
Marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman...

Not Bubba and Larry.

You got that really right.

Marriage (as most things are) is different in most cultures and has changed throughout history (ie, we don't pick our kids mates anymore). While I have no problems with people maintaining their understanding of marriage (as I do), I do not see the need to make everyone else try and believe the same thing. If either my wife or I believed marriage as most Americans do, we would be divorced. After 12 years of hard work, we have had 3 great years- most people I know would have never gotten to this point.

On another note, I agree that we cannot simply go by feelings and think that people who state that have not thought through that position. If we can go by feelings, then those people who feel it is appropriate to beat up someone for being different should be allowed. We have rules that are based on order, not feelings and we all want at least some of those rules. The only time we want to be able to go with feelings is when they are ours or we agree with them.

ref

Originally Posted By: 72te27
People failing at marriage doesn't change the sacred nature of marriage.

I disagree. The people getting married made vows to never leave, and almost half disregarded those vows. It's clearly not sacred.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Not Bubba and Larry.

You got that really right.

That's your opinion. I may share that opinion.

But, it's none of my business what two other people want to do. If they can find a church that will marry them, or a justice of the peace that will enter them into a union that has all of the same legal benefits - good for them.

In reality, I am not getting married or having kids any time soon ... might as well let someone else enjoy it, I guess.

But this topic is about something entirely different. I don't claim to understand it, but I try to be supportive of others. I know one or two people who have gone through this. They seem to be much happier with their life afterwards.

I don't know what makes people love someone of the same gender - but it's none of my business what other people do, especially when it does not affect me.

I don't know what makes people want to smoke marijuana - but it's none of my business what other people do, especially when it does not affect me.

I don't know what makes people want to change their gender - but it's none of my business what other people do, especially when it does not affect me.

Originally Posted By: whip

I think straight people lost their argument about marriage being a sacred bond when the divorce rate went over 50%.

So now you're judging the traditional marriage folks on this one statistic?

With this way of thinking, you must also think all non whites are thugs, thieves etc. too.

Strawmen are having quite a week here on BITOG.

Good post Miller88. It's interesting how a lot of self-identified conservative types are really concerned with how certain other segments of society conduct their private lives. Leave me and my guns alone, but don't you queers even think about asking for equal treatment with regards to property and survivorship rights!

This thread provides great insight into what happens when open minded people are exposed to things outside of their worldview.

jeff

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

So now you're judging the traditional marriage folks on this one statistic?

What other statistic can we use? Almost half of straight people disagree about marriage being sacred. I have cell phones that last longer than a lot of marriages.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
With this way of thinking, you must also think all non whites are thugs, thieves etc. too.

Are you implying that almost half of all minorities are criminals? Where do people come up with this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Strawmen are having quite a week here on BITOG.

Good post Miller88. It's interesting how a lot of self-identified conservative types are really concerned with how certain other segments of society conduct their private lives. Leave me and my guns alone, but don't you queers even think about asking for equal treatment with regards to property and survivorship rights!

This thread provides great insight into what happens when open minded people are exposed to things outside of their worldview.

jeff

Don't get me wrong - I am pretty far to the right. With social issues that would not affect me, I can not tell someone what they can and can not do. I am closest to Libertarian, I guess.

The analogy "Gay married people should be able to defend their marijuana plants with fully automatic rifles"

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Don't get me wrong - I am pretty far to the right. With social issues that would not affect me, I can not tell someone what they can and can not do. I am closest to Libertarian, I guess.

The analogy "Gay married people should be able to defend their marijuana plants with fully automatic rifles"

You and I are pretty much on the same page.

I disagree. The people getting married made vows to never leave, and almost half disregarded those vows. It's clearly not sacred.
By your "logic", when people play chess poorly, it's the game's fault, not the ineffective players.

But it does reflect on the church.

When I went to my pastor after learning about my now ex-wife's affair, his first question was what did I do to force her to have an affair. Not I'm sorry, not what can we do for you, not tell me about it. Nope, blame the betrayed husband. Assume he did something wrong, really wrong.

While I agree with the typical stand on traditional marriage,the church is failing it's members by being more focused on banning same sex marriage than it is with helping it's members with their own marriages.

Oh, if a man has an affair, you'll hear about it from the pulpit, how men are not committed.

What you won't hear is how 2/3rds to 3/4s of all divorces are filed by women, not men. And, you won't hear that few of those cases, less than 10 percent, may have a biblically sound reason such as his unfaithfulness or he's abusive or addicted. No, you'll hear men have more affairs than women, which is logically unsound, unless they are having affairs with other men. So the women in the affairs get a pass from the church and the men are to blame.

If a woman has an affair, like my ex-wife, it must be because of something I've done. But if a man has an affair, well, he's a dog. If a woman is a walk-away-wife, again, he must not have loved her, but if a man walks away, he's a dead beat.

The church is failing at marriage, full stop.

It has no business trying to outlaw same sex marriage as it doesn't have the credibility when it comes to preserving existing traditional marriages.

People failing at marriage doesn't change the sacred nature of marriage. It does reflect on the people or the culture practicing it.

Not Bubba and Larry.

Maybe in the eyes of your lord.

But in the eyes of government, before too long Bubba and Larry will be able to share that bond.

Might not be sacred but it sure is expensive......
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Refreshing to read of some open-minded thinkers here on BITOG, no matter where they may lie on the political/religious spectrum.

I am religious, but I judge no one.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Refreshing to read of some open-minded thinkers here on BITOG, no matter where they may lie on the political/religious spectrum.

01.gif
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back