Sweet Revenge

Sure but they obtained prior approval from the county so it doesn't matter what the neighbors think.
And there lies the problem. The farmer also has prior approval (at least in Michigan) to do things that annoy the neighbors. Granted, the tannerite is passive aggressive, but what if he legitimately shoots clay pigeons with his 12 gauge, or legally spreads his manure?

It's a bad situation either way and yes, it's too bad they cannot work something out peacefully. If I was in the farmer's shoes, I would be at the county planning meetings making a ruckus. This is one of those things that is not a concern until it is in your own back yard. I.E., you live in the country for a reason, and it is not to have the city ways in your back yard.

The other truth is that there are pros and cons to anywhere you live: city,suburb,country, wilderness, white van down by the river. You are going to deal with headaches is all scenarios.

Last edited:
I could never live in a condo, apartment or townhouse due to inconsiderate jerks.

Yea it's such a a luck-of-the-draw with your neighbors. Luckily my townhouse neighbors aren't too bad. The old lady upstairs is ridiculously loud when she walks around and drops stuff in her bathroom like gravity is going out of style but overall nobody in my culdesac is rude, luckily.

Edit: Our HOA rules are pretty relaxed but they're quick to react. One warning once a violation is reported then a fine if the violation is not corrected.

Last edited:
Usually when people rent a location for an event they visit that location in advance. If the smell of manure lingering in the area was overpowering then they would probably not rent that location. That would in turn shut down the business when no one books events there anymore.

Back