Engine Start/Stop Vehicles

After I left WM this morning I stopped at McDonald's to get me a $1 large iced tea. While waiting in one of the 2 drive thru lanes there was a GMC SUV in the lane next to me. This was the 1st vehicle I have ever seen/heard with that engine start/stop gizmo. I sure hope the starter has been built accordingly to withstand all of the starting it will be put through.

I sure hope the starter has been built accordingly to withstand all of the starting it will be put through.
Starter as well as other components are enhanced to support this.

Start/stop systems have been around for a while now, so there should be some data available pertaining to their long term reliability.

Wife's Q5 has it. I've permanently disabled it because I find it annoying.

As long as it can be disabled and I like the vehicle I'll buy the vehicle. If there is no easy way to disable the system I'll pass. IMO it's a headache waiting to happen, especially in areas like mine where traffic is the norm. As far as the starter etc. being beefed up, disabling the system should increase the live expectancy of those components even more. That's about the only positive thing I see about it.

My Ram has the start/stop system that is powered thru a 48V lithium battery. Technically it is a mild-hybrid.

The start/stop is extremely smooth, almost as smooth as my Prius.

My Ram has the start/stop system that is powered thru a 48V lithium battery. Technically it is a mild-hybrid.

The start/stop is extremely smooth, almost as smooth as my Prius.
I’ve heard some systems are better than others. Roundabouts in New Jersey demand split second stop and go decisions. I’d hate to face one with a system that stumbles on re-start. Not sold on it just yet.

I’ve heard some systems are better than others. Roundabouts in New Jersey demand split second stop and go decisions. I’d hate to face one with a system that stumbles on re-start. Not sold on it just yet.
Have you driven a vehicle with auto stop/start? By the time you move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal, the engine is already back on, if designed correctly.

Have you driven a vehicle with auto stop/start? By the time you move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal, the engine is already back on, if designed correctly.
My friend says his new Acura is very smooth. I guess I would have to drive one. But how do you tell from a 2 minute test drive whether it would drive you nuts before you buy? Pretty soon the ability to disable them is gonna go away. We’ll see.

I had a Mini Cooper rental with the technology. It is absolutely infuriating and worrisome. What happens when the system malfunctions and you are left at a stop light or in bumper to bumper traffic?
The same thing that happens when your car just dies for no reason. Like the gallon of water in the gas you just bought. Other drivers might help you push it, or just sit and mindlessly honk and threaten you.

That said I work in the rebuilding industry, I look forward to these systems coming out of warranty so we can sell more parts.

Rod

That is as bad as push button start is lol just any minute till it fails.

Push button start should in theory be more reliable than a lock cylinder that can be worn out by constantly having something dirty and metal jammed into it. GM had a huge issue with that if I remember correctly ;)

Think how long your door lock switch, window switch, HVAC switches tend to last and the window switches definitely get more use than the push button start does.

Push button start should in theory be more reliable than a lock cylinder that can be worn out by constantly having something dirty and metal jammed into it. GM had a huge issue with that if I remember correctly ;)

Think how long your door lock switch, window switch, HVAC switches tend to last and the window switches definitely get more use than the push button start does.
Yeah I know. But the number of those I have replaced is too many to count they are especially a problem on Toyota. I’ve only replaced maybe 3 ignition switches ever. When the push button start goes out it leaves you stranded it happened to some of my customers.

That is as bad as push button start is lol just any minute till it fails.
What’s wrong with push button start?

Even my Tundra has the equivalent. It cranks until it starts whether I hold the key or not. It’s an auto system, like push button, not like I’m holding the key and energizing a hot lead to the solenoid.

You want reliable?

Floor start. A button on the floor connects the battery directly to the starter. No solenoid. Battery voltage applied directly to the windings of the starter motor.

Nothing to break or fail.

Back