No Stop/Start on 2021 GM SUVs and Pickups

Starting Monday certain full-size SUVs and pickups will not contain Automatic Stop/Start, the feature that turns off the engine when a driver stops at an intersection and then automatically restarts it when the driver steps on the throttle.

"By taking this measure, it will enable us to continue production of our high-demand full-size SUV and pickups as the industry continues to rebound and strengthen," said GM spokesman Kevin Kelly. "Most of the affected vehicles will experience a minor reduction in fuel economy and customers will receive a $50 credit on the MSRP for affected vehicles."

The automatic stop-start feature will no longer be available on 2021 model year for the following vehicles equipped with 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter eight-cylinder engines mated to 10-speed transmissions:

• Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban full-size SUVs
  • GMC Yukon and Yukon XL full-size SUVs
  • Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV full-size SUVs
  • Chevrolet Silverado 1500 full-size light-duty pickup
  • GMC Sierra 1500 full-size light-duty pickup

I'd gladly pay them $50 to not have the "feature". LOL
I have driven over 217,000 miles with start/stop on my Prius with no concerns about the feature. I opted for it on the Ram (48V start/stop setup) and have no regrets. Because the Ram uses a 48V battery pack for the start/stop, my insurance company considers it a hybrid and I also receive the hybrid discount, so it is a win-win to me. 🤔

I have driven over 217,000 miles with start/stop on my Prius with no concerns about the feature. I opted for it on the Ram (48V start/stop setup) and have no regrets. Because the Ram uses a 48V battery pack for the start/stop, my insurance company considers it a hybrid and I also receive the hybrid discount, so it is a win-win to me. 🤔
You are showing good examples.

Bad examples is where they just tack it on to an existing 12V system and its falls somewhere between ok and terrible.

Who wants to exit a highway where you were cruising at 85 with your turbo motor then immediately shut it down at the light.

I'm not so worried about the "engine" part but I dont see how it can be good for the turbo to constantly have no oil pressure starting off from every light etc.

customers will receive a $50 credit on the MSRP for affected vehicles."
That's a joke. If you drive the average 15,000 miles a year and your gas mileage drops 1-2 mpg, you will end up spending $200-$300 more per YEAR on gas. Maybe if GM dropped the price by $1,000, otherwise, no thanks. Rather have a car without a radio than one without stop/start.

You are showing good examples.

Bad examples is where they just tack it on to an existing 12V system and its falls somewhere between ok and terrible.

Who wants to exit a highway where you were cruising at 85 with your turbo motor then immediately shut it down at the light.

I'm not so worried about the "engine" part but I dont see how it can be good for the turbo to constantly have no oil pressure starting off from every light etc.
My Rav4 is smart enough to disable the auto stop start due to different reasons and it will tell me the reason. So far the only reason has been climate control but I optimistic that if the fans needed to spin to cool down the coolant, the engine would stay on. Are there vehicles with turbos that don't monitor sensors to see if it's safe to shut down the engine when the vehicle stops?

I have no doubt the system is flawless on a prius or a vehicle like your Ram with E-torque, both being designed for it. To me, it's more of an add-on annoyance for the chevy trucks and SUVs in that link. As in, I'm not sure the starter, etc. is much different than a standard setup.

Proof here that they don'r self destruct as claimed on BITOG.

I have no doubt the system is flawless on a prius or a vehicle like your Ram with E-torque, both being designed for it. To me, it's more of an add-on annoyance for the chevy trucks and SUVs in that link. As in, I'm not sure the starter, etc. is much different than a standard setup.
The system/starter is different.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Well I got off highway after pulling a trailer up a long grade in the PA mountains.. get to light after 1/4 mile off ramp and boom shuts off.
didnt care that it was 97F out and I had the AC one notch off full blast either.

Also was really working getting 8-12mpg with high wind resistance while towing.

Who thinks its a good idea for engine to shut off? Yea I forgot to hit the off button like I usually do.

Also who wants to interupt the flow of oil to your turbo while its still spinning?

Now on all these "mild hybrids" or full hybrids.. I think its a great idea.. just not sure a small smoking hot turbo engine is the right app.

On the N/A pentastar without the 48v system I still feel it was ok.. IMO it drops into the terrible category on this 2.0T engine.

That all being said I dont think it hurts anything to shut off at a light when puting around town. I just have concerns.. and not about the starter.

FWIW there have been less issues with the hurricane engine than the pentastar.. but not a whole lot of high mileage examples even if you throw in wranglers with the 2.0T.

back on subject stop/start is a GREAT option in some cases.. esp if it has some sort of hybrid which can actually propel the vehicle and leave it shut off until you are moving or step on gas.

Proof here that they don'r self destruct as claimed on BITOG.
A full hybrid vehicle, and a ram with a designed hybrid system and less than 10000miles
isnt proof.

Whats next you arguing every manufacturer's implementation of MDS is not causing any issues?

My issue with stop start is if you live in a conjested area and making a left turn at a stop sign onto a well travelled main road the delay from starting the car makes this more difficult as the delay causes the cars on the main road to be uncomfortably closer than they should be

Well I got off highway after pulling a trailer up a long grade in the PA mountains.. get to light after 1/4 mile off ramp and boom shuts off.
didnt care that it was 97F out and I had the AC one notch off full blast either.

I was under the impression that towing automatically disabled the start/stop?

I was under the impression that towing automatically disabled the start/stop?
not AFAIK, at least on the Cherokee
There are some parameters that disable the system.

AC/Heat on full blast (7 out of 7 on fan)
not warm enough engine.. although I've had stop/start kick in with coolant at 112f or half mile from my house.
seat belt unbuckled
start stop disabled with button(every time you start vehicle have to do it again)
battery not charged enough

and a couple others I cant remember right now.

Keeping in mind the systems vary WIDELY even from model to model of the same manufacturer.

I am sure the ram 48v system is ok or good

The pentastar 12volt system is beefy high speed starter and N/A engine is ok besides the .5-1s delay on startup.

but I have already told how I feel the system is useless trash on my particular engine.

I have no experience with the Grand Cherokee but they have an additional separate start/stop battery. Which makes me think its less of a tacked on at last min type system.

Start/stop technology is what happens when auto companies engineer cars for the lowest common denominator of driver. I'll consign this idea to the auto junk heap with those equally intrusive motorized seatbelts of the '90s. No thanks, I prefer to rely on my own instincts concerning safety and in the case of start/stop with being frugal or profligate with fuel.

I always thank something greater than me when I get on my motorcycle and that (at least for now) what concerns me most are the laws of physics, my own abilities and forbearance from unhelpful and dangerous emotions. So far no engineer has managed to integrate a useless tchotchke onto a motorcycle to dazzle the masses but perpetually annoy the owner/rider.

Back