How aggressive is the Start/Stop in your vehicle?

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
I just had two rental vehicles in Europe with very aggressive start/stop tech that actually impaired my driving. Both vehicles were practically new.

The first one was a Fiat Tipo 5spd with around 16k miles on it. I put around 450 miles on it and during that time it somehow failed to restart properly making me look like I stalled the vehicle. The first time it happened I actually thought I did stall it and when I tried to restart with the key nothing happened, but then it started on its own. The other few times I paid more attention and noticed the Auto stop/start light was illuminated on the dash. Very weird and could be dangerous.

The other rental was a Renault Trafic van with a DCT. It had around 1600 miles when I picked it up and I put roughly 700 miles on it. This one would shut the engine off immediately after coming to a stop. This made turning left on the small streets quite challenging as it would not restart the engine and go into drive fast enough. I often saw posts where people say the system is way faster than your foot, but in this particular vehicle, it was way too slow.

Maybe for American roads where every intersection has either the traffic light or an all way stop, these systems perform well, but for me, driving on the European roads, these two examples were a hindrance and could put me in danger IMO.

I have a Buick Regal Sportback with stop/start. I've learned how to use the brake in a way that the car rarely shuts off. I would call it light to moderately aggressive. I don't like it but I can live with it.

Did these vehicles have a start/stop shut off button? I’ve never owned a vehicle with this feature, but I’m not opposed to it,..as long as I can shut it off if I don’t like it. It sounds as if I would absolutely hate it if it acted the way you described.

The only vehicle I own with start/stop is the Kia Soul and I bought a digital unit that remembers the setting for turning off the start/stop and so it's permanently off. I did not like it.

Did these vehicles have a start/stop shut off button? I’ve never owned a vehicle with this feature, but I’m not opposed to it,..as long as I can shut it off if I don’t like it. It sounds as if I would absolutely hate it if it acted the way you described.
Yes they did, but it wasn’t permanent and I wanted to keep an open mind about it, so I left it on for the most part.

Renault at least would turn the engine back on if the cabin was getting too hot, Fiat did no such thing. That was another annoyance.

I haven't driven any vehicle with start/ stop in the U.S. where it was possible to move your foot from the brake to the gas before the vehicle started. Cannot comment about the vehicles driven in Europe.

Our VW has it, our Toyota which is newer does not. It doesn't bother me, smooth enough and all that but I prefer to turn it off to save the "wear".

Renault at least would turn the engine back on if the cabin was getting too hot, Fiat did no such thing. That was another annoyance.

Well, in Fiat‘s defense, maybe they thought that the driver would realize that they’re having to sit idle for too long and would just push the button to disable the system. Sometimes the occupants have to think for themselves. 🤔😉
All kidding, plus trying to defend Fiat a little bit aside, the slow response to restart that you mentioned would annoy me to no end. It would be disabled every time I got in the vehicle under those circumstances. The MDS in my Ram annoys the hell out of me, so it gets disabled every time I get in it.

Well, in Fiat‘s defense, maybe they thought that the driver would realize that they’re having to sit idle for too long and would just push the button to disable the system. Sometimes the occupants have to think for themselves. 🤔😉
All kidding, plus trying to defend Fiat a little bit aside, the slow response to restart that you mentioned would annoy me to no end. It would be disabled every time I got in the vehicle under those circumstances. The MDS in my Ram annoys the hell out of me, so it gets disabled every time I get in it.

Since we’re defending Fiat here, you could easily restart the engine by simply pressing the clutch in and releasing. Then it would stay on. The start/stop in this car was only activated once in neutral, the clutch released and vehicle stopped. So when you pressed the clutch in, the engine would start and stay on, I guess ready for take off. It would reset once you started moving and came to another stop.

Since we’re defending Fiat here, you could easily restart the engine by simply pressing the clutch in and releasing. Then it would stay on. The start/stop in this car was only activated once in neutral, the clutch released and vehicle stopped. So when you pressed the clutch in, the engine would start and stay on, I guess ready for take off. It would reset once you started moving and came to another stop.

I just don’t see how Start/Stop could save enough fuel over the life of a car to make it all worth it. I’m always open minded to new things, but I just can’t see it when it comes to this.

Get in, start engine, push start stop disable button, put on seatbelt, by this time you have oil pressure, slowly and gently drive away for the first 5 minutes as the engine warms up. It will become routine in no time, just like the seatbelt.

If you want engine on immediacy you move the brake pedal slightly or twitch steering wheel on a VW.

Our 2018 VW Tiguan it seems subtle …
Yep. Or just disable it with the button in some situations. Also I can use the brake so it won't cut off.

Back