Cars/Brands that do auto start-stop well

I am 100% ignorant, but I would imagine there would be some check valves in the engine to help hold oil volume and/or pressure, no?
Why would there need to be? Cold start has no pressure, not until it builds. Plenty of non-start/stop engines go the distance with bearings that are just fine.

Start/stop on my E350 is almost transparent to me. When I first bought it, I was unaware that the engine was shutting off and restarting.

I read complaints from others that don't like start/stop on their cars, and I can't relate.

I think most "start/stop" complaints are from the same guys complaining about blind spot, detection, lane changing warnings and the like. You know-just kicking and screaming at the tech stuff. Most don't even educate themselves enough to know that the whole system isn't like a conventional starter.

I've only driven 2 cars with it. A 2018 Malibu and a 2020 F150. Both sucked but at least the F150 you can turn it off each time you drive.

The Malibu the only way you could turn it off is by putting the shifter into manual and pushing the + button 6 times to let it shift to top gear. But then if you need to do a 3 point turn in a parking lot it would turn off. Terrible.

Both of them get hot inside and the A/C stops.

Why would there need to be? Cold start has no pressure, not until it builds. Plenty of non-start/stop engines go the distance with bearings that are just fine.
Right, my thought is to have a system that maintains pressure, in a similar manner as an accusump

My '15 focus had it. The starter had to replaced around 130k in winter of '18-19 but I don't really think it was pre-mature wear. It worked pretty well as the S/S would only enable when the car was in neutral and under ~3mph. Once you press the clutch down the engine fired up immediately with the annoying 3-cyl shake.. There was also a button to disable it - which it was disabled 99.9% of the time. Will also disable itself when the battery was dying or low on charge. AC will not work when engine was off but everything else worked.

My mom's '17 fusion hybrid had it as well. The engine would shut off under a certain amount of power; so cruising at 65mph on a flat surface or coasting at any speed was enough for the engine to turn off and go 100% battery power. With the exception of the 4-cyl rumble when turning on, the engine turning back on and continuing with acceleration was also flawless. What was annoying was the car switching to engine power in the middle of a turn and the car slightly losing grip from the sudden difference in power and the constant on/off engine start in traffic. A/C will work when engine was off but that ran off the hybrid battery.

Last edited:
I've only driven a couple rentals that have it - both by GM - and the system was so unobtrusive I didn't even notice it. You quickly learn how to tailor your driving techniques to either keep the engine running, or not. Next car I rent, I'm going to look for one with this feature.

Ford's stop/start is easy enough to permanently disable via ForScan making it a vastly superior system. That and if you can't or won't do that, they normally have a switch to turn it off, but you have to do that every time you drive the vehicle.

Last edited:
FYI: Toyota hybrids don't use conventional starter motors. Instead, the engine is started by Toyota's motor-generator.

I wonder how long it takes you to pay off the added cost of the system (including all the engineering time) by the increase in fuel economy? Some of these systems sound pretty sophisticated and I’ll bet that doesn’t come cheap.

Hybrids.

Anything with the 48V mild-hybrid system.
I wasn't specifically including hybrids because of this, otherwise my grandmother's C-Max is included and that is also extremely seamless.
I wonder how long it takes you to pay off the added cost of the system (including all the engineering time) by the increase in fuel economy? Some of these systems sound pretty sophisticated and I’ll bet that doesn’t come cheap.

They improve fuel economy somewhere in the range of 7-10% in the city so depending on how much city driving you do, those are potentially substantial savings.

Last edited:
Driving 101 is that you don't turn the wheel-that way if you are hit from behind you are not pushed in to the motion of turning left and possibly in front of another car.

Gee....I though this was common practice.....and common sense.

(Over a million miles on the So. Cal freeways in Industrial sales position).
Probably the same type of people that will gun it to make the left turn when the light turns green before the people going the other direction have a chance to go. But yes, exactly... Pull into the intersection, keep wheels pointed straight, wait for an opening, and right before the opening turn the wheel (starting the engine) and go. I also thought this would be common sense... Hell, I think this is even a question on the NYS driver permit/license paper exam.

Reactions: CKN
In the vehicles I’ve driven, GM by far is the best. You really don’t even feel the engine stop/start, it’s very smooth.

The worst I’ve been in is Chrysler and Mercedes. The Hemi V8 shakes the whole truck as the engine stops/starts. I’ve even seen them at Al traffic lights shake as the start/stop. Mercedes just feels very clunky.
As much as I don't care for stop-start, it's very seamless in our 2021 Traverse RS

Yes, a 48V lithium battery on board. It gets charged by the generator/starter when decelerating, like a hybrid vehicle. It can also add power for acceleration.

As for how long it can run the compressor, I guess it really depends on many factors. It is a quite complex system. But if the 48V battery SOC starts getting low it will start the gas engine.

Even the cooling system is better designed for this as there is no longer a condenser on our cars. There is a high temp and low temp cooling system, each with their own rad and coolant. The A/C refrigerant is cooled in a refrigerant to water cooler (looks like a transmission oil to water cooler) on the low temp circuit, and that coolant is circulated by an electric pump.

Single alternator right? it supplies the 12 and 48V ?

With a water chiller that the refrigerant cycle can either slow all the way down or even stop a bit before while still cooling somewhat.

trans cooled through engine radiator?

Whats the batt replacement price? Where is it located?

Here's one that does NOT do it very well:

2018+ Jeep Wrangler 3.6/manual transmission. It's ok, but not really seamless and if you try to take off too quickly, with a fast clutch release, it can stumble and not start, causing you to have to restart the engine. Once you learn the quirks, it is ok, but I prefer not using it.

And here is one of the best I've driven:

2021 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Etorque/Auto transmission. This thing is flat out seamless. This is how ESS was meant to be. It is night and day better than the manual. It uses the belt start generator for ESS and only relies on the starter for cold starts. It is a wonderfully executed ultra-mild hybrid system.

I've got both Jeeps. I absolutley loathe the ESS on the manual and have a programmer that remembers where I left it, so I shut it off and leave it off, only rarely using it at drive through windows at fast-food joints. That's it.

Here's the irony, to me. We have ESS, but also remote start, which wastes as much gas as idling at stoplights on a long commute (or more). Why not get rid of ESS (or remember your preferred setting) and get rid of remote start? Then call it a wash.

Back