Very hard stop shuts car down

Good evening!

A few weeks after fixing the TCM wire on my 2006 Cobalt, a near accident started a new issue:

Got a surprise this morning when a lady in a van suddenly decides to make a right with no warning . I have to slam the brakes and make a hard turn on the steering wheel to somehow avoid her. As a gently pick up speed, the Cobalt stalls out. I am able to limp it into a driveway of a business. Car refused to restart. After sitting a while, it came back to life. I decided to take it home, and noticed when i turned the idle would stumble. I did get it home, and let it sit for a while. Came to back to check on it. Car started right up, sounded normal again. But after about 30 seconds , it would would struggle to stay running, then stall out. With the engine hood open, i would hear a few clicks after it stalled out. Car will continue to restart, and do this over and over again.

I am at a loss here. Belts and wires look good. Car has half a tank. Something obviously happened on that hard brake. Thinking maybe a sensor? I did smell a little gas once, but it didn’t repeat it.

I’ve owned the Cobalt since 2008, and this is the first time it has happened. Your thoughts?

I am surprised that its not throwing a code if it has anything to do with something under the hood. Maybe the hard stop stirred up some sediment in the tank and plugged the fuel intake screen or filter or the vent. It probably wont work but try taking the gas cap off and starting the engine just to see if there is a vacuum. Most likely you cant get to the filter without going through the fuel pump access in the tank.

I'm thinking bad ignition or electrical connection. I'd check the coils, ground straps and even the battery for a bad contact before looking at the fuel system.
Battery and straps are good,

Need the check the coils….

Key, fob. That’s it…..
That was one of the years/models affected by the ignition switch recall, not sure how heavy your fob is, but might be too much on a 17 year old switch that was deficient when new.

(Some) Cobalts were part of the ignition switch recall that describes at least some of the issue (shutting off when jarred/hard stop etc).

The struggling to restart leans toward the replacement fuel pump (especially if aftermarket and louder than should be), I've never had good luck with parts store special pumps.

That was one of the years/models affected by the ignition switch recall, not sure how heavy your fob is, but might be too much on a 17 year old switch that was deficient when new.

Ah, I remember that.

Switch was replaced shortly after the recall. Been a while since I thought of that one….

Question would be where….
I'd start looking near/around anything that pivots.
Engine/trans mounts come to mind.
How old are they? Have they ever been replaced?

Also, since it seemed to come back to life after it sat (cooled off), I'd consider looking at areas near the exhaust/cooling system as well.

I agree with the others if it starts and then dies repeatably its more than likely fuel.

Is there a port to check fuel pressure?

I'd start looking near/around anything that pivots.
Engine/trans mounts come to mind.
How old are they? Have they ever been replaced?

Also, since it seemed to come back to life after it sat (cooled off), I'd consider looking at areas near the exhaust/cooling system as well.

Mounts have never been replaced. Car is a 2006.

Exhaust could be a good place to start……

There some good ideas here. Like many of you- I’m leaning toward it being a fuel issue.

Going to have to wait for the rain here to stop first….

Back