Cars/Brands that do auto start-stop well

My fiance's mom has a 2021 Suburu Outback that has stop/start and it's not seamless at all. I would not enjoy driving it on a regular basis.

Here's one that does NOT do it very well:

2018+ Jeep Wrangler 3.6/manual transmission. It's ok, but not really seamless and if you try to take off too quickly, with a fast clutch release, it can stumble and not start, causing you to have to restart the engine. Once you learn the quirks, it is ok, but I prefer not using it.

And here is one of the best I've driven:

2021 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Etorque/Auto transmission. This thing is flat out seamless. This is how ESS was meant to be. It is night and day better than the manual. It uses the belt start generator for ESS and only relies on the starter for cold starts. It is a wonderfully executed ultra-mild hybrid system.

I've got both Jeeps. I absolutley loathe the ESS on the manual and have a programmer that remembers where I left it, so I shut it off and leave it off, only rarely using it at drive through windows at fast-food joints. That's it.

Here's the irony, to me. We have ESS, but also remote start, which wastes as much gas as idling at stoplights on a long commute (or more). Why not get rid of ESS (or remember your preferred setting) and get rid of remote start? Then call it a wash.
I agree… I think eTorque in the automatics is probably best of breed. It uses the top-mounted motor/generator at 48v. It times the generator resistance to vary in time with the engine‘s rotation as it shuts down to minimize vehicle shake. It provides engine braking during transmission upshifts so the transmission doesn’t have to absorb the drop in Rpm. And mechanically it’s pretty simple.

Range Rover

The start/stop quit on mine after about a year, apparently an issue with the small dedicated battery. Dealer said that it could be fixed but otherwise would not cause a fault code or any other issue. Last I dealt with it.... Wish they all quit like that.

435i is not as smooth as the C300. I chalk it up to the reduced rotational mass of the Mercedes I4.

We turn off both systems simply because the A/C compressor stops operating and that's a huge annoyance with our consistently high levels of humidity.

Hellcat‘s can save gas too

CD350980-6FD9-4040-B66E-E7720DD9E80C.jpeg

Yes, on BMW with the 48V system. Then the alternator/generator acts as the starter after the vehicle has warmed up. Very seamless.

Edit: also helps the brake “switch” is not a contact switch, so even lifting the brake pedal up slightly will restart the engine.
It’s about the only start/stop system I don’t automatically deactivate.

Marketing gimmick.
I don’t always agree with that statement - for example I do think extended performance lubes use better base ingredients etc - but stop/start lubes belongs in Websters next to marketing gimmick !
(and stop/start belongs in the ash pile of history)

As for selecting that car for the ad ? Comical marketing …

I have driven a bunch, none in particular bothered me enough for it to be a deal breaker. I think the smoothest one I drove was in a Cruze.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
I turn mine off about half the time. But in 800 miles of driving the Ecosport it's only turned off 1 time. Likely due to constant cold temps here. Doesn't matter if I've driven 20-30 miles it still wont do it.

Whatever manufacturer allows you to shut it off completely and permanently does it well.
Usually you can only turn it off after you turn on the vehicle. After you turn the vehicle off and restart you have to hit the switch again to deactivate. Keep dreaming.

Usually you can only turn it off after you turn on the vehicle. After you turn the vehicle off and restart you have to hit the switch again to deactivate. Keep dreaming.

That's how it was from 2010 until 2012 for my car, since 2013 the switch off is permanent. Living the dream....

My next vehicle will either not have that feature , or it will have an easy way to disable it when I get in . I absolutely hate the entire concept .

My next vehicle will either not have that feature , or it will have an easy way to disable it when I get in . I absolutely hate the entire concept .
On many vehicles there is a button on the dash to disable it. BUT-it has to be pushed each time it's restarted. As far as not having it-you have to buy something old enough-that's the SOP on BITOG-keep the dinosaurs alive.....

To me Ford Hybrids are the best...seamless.
My VW which has limited miles is smooth but confused on when and where. It may improve???
The Venza is very smooth at takeoff, the engine rarely runs pulling away from a stop, till about 15mph after its warmed up. When it does kick in, it is more of a audible thing than a tactile sensation.

On many vehicles there is a button on the dash to disable it. BUT-it has to be pushed each time it's restarted. As far as not having it-you have to buy something old enough-that's the SOP on BITOG-keep the dinosaurs alive.....
Being worried about it wearing out the starter sooner is one thing, but "hating the entire concept" is just luddite progress-hating for the sake of itself. Some people get offended at the very suggestion of better efficiency and lower emissions.

Back