Engine Start/Stop Vehicles

Mine are automatic, every 5th press of the windshield squirter (I think it's the 5th, might be more frequent) cleans the headlights.
Mine are the same, one comes on after 5 presses of the windshield washer fluid when the headlamps are on. The other one comes on after 10. It's just rare that the headlights are on and you use the windshield washer fluid 5-10 times in a row.

A $75 annual fee for a hybrid doesn't seem too hard to swallow...definitely saving more than that on gas taxes which is the point of implementing the fee...everyone has to pay for the roads somehow.

The old Malibu hybrid (2014ish) that pays the tax gets lower gas mpgs than the new regular gas Malibu that doesn’t pay the extra tax
the 1st year title plus registration can be an extra $400 as well.
Those of us with an old cheap hybrid that bought it for up front cost not gas MPGs were blind sided by the unforeseen tax increase in my case I would not have bought one of the cars in my stable if I had known the tax was coming

All this tax does is allow government to decide what cars you own since many hybrids don’t save $75 of fuel compared to the normal version of the car.

If you think the hybrid tax is foolhardy post that if governor Evers wants to support green tech to get rid of the hybrid tax

A number of states are looking into taxing by miles driven versus a fuel tax. That way EV owners would theoretically help pay for the roads they use.

The sticking point is the issue of interstate travel.

Not sure why an old hybrid has anything to do with a BEV?

Our state spends millions of dollars on lawsuits and enforcement related to “collecting” unpaid registration, fees etc.

The beuracratic costs are so high that half of fee collections are lost.

One would think if you actually want the money in the coffer to completely eliminate the mess surrounding the fee collection system from individuals and put it to straight gas tax. (There are only a few BEVs in this area, 3500 statewide not even worth messing with)

Last edited:
I've never had to replace a starter. The last car I got rid of was 25 years old and had 262K miles on it and went to the junkyard with it's original starter on it.

I'll just point out that most auto parts stores do carry some starters in stock. There may be reasons for that. It isn't because they never fail.

I've personally owned 8 vehicles, and replaced two starters along the way. Start managing a fleet and your eyes will be opened...

The old Malibu hybrid (2014ish) that pays the tax gets lower gas mpgs than the new regular gas Malibu that doesn’t pay the extra tax
the 1st year title plus registration can be an extra $400 as well.
Those of us with an old cheap hybrid that bought it for up front cost not gas MPGs were blind sided by the unforeseen tax increase in my case I would not have bought one of the cars in my stable if I had known the tax was coming

All this tax does is allow government to decide what cars you own since many hybrids don’t save $75 of fuel compared to the normal version of the car.

If you think the hybrid tax is foolhardy post that if governor Evers wants to support green tech to get rid of the hybrid tax
You bought it because in theory it saved gas and money. But the money saved was money that the state spent to maintain the roads. Now you're upset because you don't get the free ride (or reduced priced) ride that you thought you were getting.

Government doesn't decide what you own, there are just incentives and disincentives to various options. You can do it regardless of whether there's a tax on it or not. Newer cars typically have better emissions than older cars and have more safety features. The government only controls you if you let it.

Our Model 3 ain't got no dang stop start.
Ain't go oo key to turn or button to push.
Heck, it ain't even got no starter.
Just hop in, move the stalk and off you go!
I got to ride in a friends Model 3 recently and I was very impressed by the acceleration of it. It definitely felt faster than my Mustang GT.

This is where the 48V mild-hybrid systems excel. The battery also powers the electric motor. On my Ram, the electric motor completely eliminates the stereotypical lag during the initial throttle tip-in.
Just wanted to add that 48V mild-hybrid systems can have additional benefits beyond the improved start/stop functionality:

I think the bottom line here is that this is a "feature" that nobody asked for. (I certainly don't know of anyone who had this on their wish list for new car features.)

I enjoy the feature. It works well on my VW and will not engage if I am using light brake pressure. If it doesn't stop at a light I can press the brake a little harder and it will.

It will also typically stop only once in the drive through, and will not stop if I have crawled for a while at low speed prior to stopping such as in parking lots.

I see no reason to disable it and wish I had the feature on my Touareg. Usually I will start/stop it myself if in line for food or to pick up my kid from school.

Remember the feature isn't necessarily to save you money or fuel, it is to save the collective amount of fuel burned while stationary. I distinctly remember excessive idling to be illegal in Germany. Start/stop simply automates the process.

I am honestly just wondering why everyone is always rude to me on here. I try to help then you say things and hurt my feelings I am just explaining why it would be an issue over an ignition switch we see lots more come in. My comment is very accurate think when you turn the key it goes back so it takes the stress off then you don’t put that stress on it when you cut it off because you go the other way. On a button you have to press it both times to do it so it wears faster.

You're young and naive yet speak with an air of knowledge and authority that your age and experience denies. I was the same way.

I'm one of the younger and less knowledgeable/experienced mechanics here. I've been wrenching for 15 years and persuing my Master's.

Humility is key to education. You can only learn when you think there is more to learn.

I hope you don't mean it stops the car at TDC with fuel/air mixture in and just needs a spark to go? As that has been debunked.... the compression is lost after a few seconds and the fuel is now in your engine block. Some cars however use the alternator to restart the engine...
Mazda's i-stop injects fuel and ignites it to restart. How is it debunked if that's how their system works?

You bought it because in theory it saved gas and money. But the money saved was money that the state spent to maintain the roads. Now you're upset because you don't get the free ride (or reduced priced) ride that you thought you were getting.

Government doesn't decide what you own, there are just incentives and disincentives to various options. You can do it regardless of whether there's a tax on it or not. Newer cars typically have better emissions than older cars and have more safety features. The government only controls you if you let it.
A number of states are looking into taxing by miles driven versus a fuel tax. That way EV owners would theoretically help pay for the roads they use.

The sticking point is the issue of interstate travel.

I bought it because the hybrid was a lower purchase price (thousands less) than the regular car, fuel economy had nothing to do with it (it only gets like 2mpg better than the same year non hybrid)

Last edited:
I had a Mini Cooper rental with the technology. It is absolutely infuriating and worrisome. What happens when the system malfunctions and you are left at a stop light or in bumper to bumper traffic?

I wouldn't consider it technology by any means as it's more of an idiotic design than anything else. A family member has a Ford Ecoboost and it defaults to start/stop every time it's started. Dunno if it can be permanently disabled, but I'd **** sure hope so. If it was my ride I would find a way to get rid of it.

Spend money to maintain the roads and you are from MA, those two things do not jive in Charlie Parkers kingdom.

The car that I am planning on buying after the first of the year has the S/S feature. It can be disabled with a switch on the console but must be done each time you start the car for a drive. One of the first things I am going to do when I get the car home is figuring out how to permanently disable it. The only reason that I can think of for the existence of that feature is the desire of the automakers to add a fraction of an MPG to their fleet averages to meet ever increasing CAFE requirements.

Man, this thread makes me laugh.

91sn32Q.jpg

Mazda's i-stop injects fuel and ignites it to restart. How is it debunked if that's how their system works?

It was explained differently to me before. The compressed mixture sits ready to be ignited is not the case. There's uncompressed air sitting there and a tiny amount of fuel is injected and ignited.

When I was car shopping in July and August of '19 after the death by water of my BMW, there were some 2017 Buick LaCrosses out there for only a little more than I ended up paying for my 2016. But . . . the 2017-19 LaCrosse has the auto stop-start, and it can't be disabled except with a $150 aftermarket part. I did not want to deal with that, no matter how seamless the transition from off to on might be. The BMW did it well, but that I could turn off and have it stay off.

Spend money to maintain the roads and you are from MA, those two things do not jive in Charlie Parkers kingdom.
I think that's a nationwide problem, it's why there's always talk of an infrastructure bill which both sides support in theory. The gas tax here is 26.4 cents a gallon, it doesn't really add up to that much when you have to pay high union wages and have guys standing around the work site watching other guys work.

Back