No Stop/Start on 2021 GM SUVs and Pickups

That's a joke. If you drive the average 15,000 miles a year and your gas mileage drops 1-2 mpg, you will end up spending $200-$300 more per YEAR on gas. Maybe if GM dropped the price by $1,000, otherwise, no thanks. Rather have a car without a radio than one without stop/start.
I've got a batter idea. Why not leave it up to the buyer whether or not the vehicle has the stop/start? I personally wouldn't mind paying the extra $200-300 a year in gas not to have it....

Any particular reason to revive an over year old topic?
It's hard to stop when he's on a roll.

AP7bVJ.jpg

because he knows more about cars than you ever will
Congrats you are a fan. Keep clicking and making him dollars.....I personally won't click. He posts half-truths, blanket false statements, innuendos and occasional facts. At least I think because I haven't "clicked" in a long, long time.

I hear the stop/start all. The. Time by me. Usually at one particular 3 to 2 lane merge (can usually just use the shoulder, against the law but, a regular thing there..
staying on topic.) When the light turns red and you're in a proper lane you're not moving. Vehicles start to move, you hear an engine turn on. No knocks from low oil pressure, either. I listen for that (oil starvation sounds, unhealthy mechanicals, etc.) I never look over to hear the type of vehicle but suspects include a Jeep or Ford. Not 100% on that. Could be anything. May have seen more of those do the stop/start, point is it happens all the time.

People GO from a light, ain't got time to waste, just pray you are not being one of those having a senior moment at a light and taking 3-4 seconds to register the light is green because literally tstaring off into space because ? Driving? What? Where am I? Shouldn't be driving type of people. Happens. So I listen for a "delay" in the engagement. Old school engine, you could conceivably turn the car to Ignition at a long light and turn it back on, if you made sure the time at the light didn't zap your battery (that you'd be able to turn it back on) but you're saving, what, let's say 2 or 3 minutes of idling speed fuel, as mentioned previously maybe in heat where you havethe AC on which works against fuel.. being over 40 now, I don't see myself trying to be playing Let's Turn The Car Off At Lights games.

It has been expressed to me that some systems are so good that they can be at a light, trying to beat the stop/start system, and can't do it. Then some systems may just be sub-par. The 48v systems may be the good ones, maybe they have the engine spinning the millisecond the Mario Andretti even begins to move the pedal down, which is what it would need to be for a driver such as myself, beholden to such ridiculous concepts as "You turn the car on, drive, go where you need to go, park, turn car off." Maybe even leave it running if you want a nice cool or hot car when you get back.

I don't think I would own a car that had this feature, unless I test drove it and could not tell. Then I wouldn't care.

If someone made a point of telling me it did, or if reviews said the stop-start system made driving the car a chore, I would not consider the car.

It sounds like most of the systems are fine, I have no firsthand experience with the newfangled stuff. If it has been left out, that tells me it may have been problematic. Or that EVs are balancing out CAFE so they don't need the confusion. Across the whole model line.

Just a few things there.

Oh and, edit, Scotty Kilmer is basically an entertainment piece. He did help me locate an OPSU once in a visual fashion but other than that.. ugh.

Congrats you are a fan. Keep clicking and making him dollars.....I personally won't click. He posts half-truths, blanket false statements, innuendos and occasional facts. At least I think because I haven't "clicked" in a long, long time.
He's definitely the Master of the Click Bait Title. How many times in the past two-three years has he had titles like "I'm quitting Youtube" or something similar.... Maybe someday it will finally happen?

Reactions: CKN
He is 50% entertainment and 50% infotainment. I'm not a fan but will occasional watch a video. Seems like the people putting him down are just jealous of the gig he's got going. If you don't like his stuff, don't watch.

He is 50% entertainment and 50% infotainment. I'm not a fan but will occasional watch a video. Seems like the people putting him down are just jealous of the gig he's got going. If you don't like his stuff, don't watch.
We agree. But his videos are referenced on here -when there are members with at at least as much knowledgeable as he has-without being obnoxious.

My issue with stop start is if you live in a conjested area and making a left turn at a stop sign onto a well travelled main road the delay from starting the car makes this more difficult as the delay causes the cars on the main road to be uncomfortably closer than they should be
You don’t know how to use it. If you want to start engine at least on VW slight movement in brake pedal or steering will restart the engine. I don’t like or dislike the feature personally.

Back