engine oil and filter for new 2015 nissan rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
the oil cap doesn't say anything! hence, making it more confusing!
any rogue drivers out there? assistance? reliability, oil, etc?
is formula shell synthetic good and good for this, and how is it compared to pennzoil platinum or mobil 1

Its all bad. I run a Honda s2000 filter - the factory filter is the size of a gas filter. I Ran Walmart 5w30 synthetic and the car didn't like it too well. Hard to brake in in sub zero weather everyday for months. Poor engine. If it takes a 20 run the 20. PU5w20 or Edge Gold bottle 5w20. ow are not needed in 95% of cases.If the 0w was guaranteed true triple syn it would be good but they are usually just a mineral grp III blend (NOT SYNTHETIC!)of a lower starting SAE viscocity with xtra VM and PPD. VM you dont want in the mix if you don't need it.

zero dub is for 20 below starts. Do a lot of that? Otherwise 0w is typically more a compromise than a benefit.

You want ultra premium JDM? - try ENEOS SUSTINA.

So I just went to auto zone and they had an up to 2014 valvoline lubrication guide and according to that, the oil was 5w 30 for the rogue, but I heard the rogue has valvoline 0w 20 as the factory fill. what's with that? and the oil capacity is 4.9 quarts, so just a little shy of 5 quarts, right?

Is there a pdf file of the valvoline oil guide or a website that provides the oil capacity and oil type not just for engine oil but for all oils like transmission and transfer case, etc as well? Thanks.

Bigtime point here.. Nissans REQUIRE their own transmission fluid for the CVTs. This is a do not pass go feature. I am not going to tell ya what exact fluid your vehicle needs but it HAS to be the Nissan fluid if you have the CVT. If its not that type of transmission then maybe one could use another type. But even then I would not do it. But that's just me.

There are two 2014 Nissan rogue designs: the old, rounded Japanese design and built car that's been around almost a decade(called: "Select" ) and the new, more macho Renault based design American made one. The new one has a new updated high efficiency CVT trans and a 2.5 engine update for 20 grade like the Altima.
My Rogue Select uses Xw30 grade and has the old thick fluid trans and, I get a poor 22 mpg over all. Car is Nice refined design overall though - as long as you don't need a roomy CUV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: engineer20
i see, but lots of people are saying any modern nissan is a waste of money and nissan has been getting below average in consumer reports ratings for reliability and it seems like nissan just isn't what they used to be, as i heard they used to be almost as reliabile as toyota and honda but not so much now.

are subarus any better? subarus use the same oil filters as nissans!

I think Nissan started going downhill quality wise when they started their relationship with Renault.
My 1992 Sentra SER was very reliable and fun to drive.

the vehicle i'm referring to is the 2015, the new design
so is this going to be more reliable than the rogue select or old design or worse? i see a lot of the old designs on the road, but not so much the newer ones

so is nissan still a japanese company or is it more french than japanese now due to the venture with renault?

My 1999 Pathfinder has about 180K miles on it. So far, the only unscheduled maintenance has been a radiator and an oxygen sensor replacement. This car still has the original distributor cap, rotor and plug wires. It runs great. I have been running 10W-30 M1 since its first oil change; changing the filter every 5000 miles and the oil around 10K miles. Oh yeah, the drivers side electric mirror no longer adjusts up and down electrically...must be that Nissan unreliability.

Originally Posted By: ras1500
Oh yeah, the drivers side electric mirror no longer adjusts up and down electrically...must be that Nissan unreliability.

Probably a part coming from Renault...

1998 was before nissans were bad
consumer reports even said, earlier nissans were really reliable, right behind honda and toyota, but in the early/mid 2000s, nissan reliability slipped and now it's bad

I have noticed that some Nissan models list their oil type under the hood on the emission label in small print. Today I noticed on a '14 or '15 Rogue "Engine Oil: 0w-20"

Nissan reliability is NOT bad. Are they perfect? NO, but neither are the other manufactures.

Again my moms Altima has been pretty much perfect in it's 124k life. It's an 07, and Renault had it's hands in Nissan long before the 07 Altima came out.

I had to replace the Blower Motor relay last summer. That's been the biggest issue with that car.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
I have noticed that some Nissan models list their oil type under the hood on the emission label in small print. Today I noticed on a '14 or '15 Rogue "Engine Oil: 0w-20"

Double checked today: This 2015 Nissan Rogue specs 0w-20 and it's built in USA.

what's the drain bolt dimensions? i know its 14 mm for the camry and 15 mm for the taurus
what size socket should I use for the oil drain plug? is it 15 (i'm guessing). do i need to replace the crush washer or is it a more high tech drain plug not requiring that?

Did not check that; typically Nissan requires a 14mm wrench and a 12mm copper crush washer. I replace the washer everytime.

So the dealer just did the first oil change. They used conventional 5w30 and synthetic was extra but discounted but still expensive. This will he the lasy time Im going to the dealer for a change as iits 34.99 conventional which I learned was bad for the engine and 80 for synthetic. I asked around at quick lube shops and my yire place and they all said they'd only use 0w20 and wouldn't use 5w30 and that going to these places won't void your warranty but using 5w30 might . Anyways I ccalled the dealer and they said going elsewhere might void the warranty whereas at the dealer won't which I find ironic since the dealer uses 5w30 which the other places said voids your warranty so who is right and since I diy oil changes now like most people here, how does that factor into your warranty? If you diy and prove you used 0w20, you won't void your warranwarranyy will you? How do you prove you did it without a dealer or shop receipt? Thanks. Since my other two cars are out of warranty whereas this one still is so I'd loike to maintain iyt and what about rustproofing this car? Do it at the dealer or elsewhere? Sorry for the typos I typed this on my phone and my fingers are wide.

I would obviously keep all reciepts, believe it or not take pictures with a time stamp when you change your oil. Pictures that show you putting new oil in,or picture of clean on oil on dipstick and picture of odometer has well. Would be hard I think to argue you didn't do it if you have receipts and time stamped pictures has well. Just what I would do. My car was under warranty when I got mine at 39,900 miles. I have to admit I really did not think of doing the above. But if I bought brand new off the lot I would have thought of this. However my car only had 4 months left on the warranty anyhow
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back