Engine Failure - Toyota 4Runner V6 - Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ran a sm eng dealer for yrs, was easy to get along w, had issues like this, if i liked the customer, told them to buy oil and filter and call me in a wk or 2, never a question even if rep came out, id say hey heres their recipt

So long as you have reciepts for purchasing oil and filters you will be fine. Be sure to give an update in how Toytota handle your problem.

recipts and milage, thats proof! if they say no, say lawyer! theyll cooperate
wink.gif

I prefer the FZ1 method. I buy the oil and filter I want,take it to the dealer for the change. It's $15. Maintenance records for whoever wants them.

youll win this, w recipts!! you may have to stand up like a grizzley bear!! but w recipts youll win!! now find em and start making up mileage and write it on the recipts!!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I need to start my Christmas shopping.

If that's the case, you're the one that's screwed. Nothing like putting it off to the last minute.
grin2.gif

I'll finish wrapping tomorrow! Plenty of time to spare. I need a drink.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: radtech91
Not to hijack this topic or anything, but I thought this would be the best place to put this without starting a new topic.

I can't find a receipt for an Oil Change I bought last year for my Honda. Is it possible for me to go to Advance Auto Parts and have them print one off or is over a year too long?

After reading this thread it got me thinking about my receipts and I went and checked and there is only this one that I can't find.

Thanks

radtech91 or anyone else that owns a late model Honda, you can register at this link and keep a running computer record of every service you or anyone else does to your Honda. This is where I keep records for both of my Honda Elements for oil changes, warranty work, tire rotations, new tires, body shop work, etc. Hope it helps some Honda owners for simple record keeping.

Honda Owners Link

Thanks Johnny,
I Just did my 1st A1 on my first Honda.

Don't threaten lawyer... this won't have an effect. If they deny it, the first thing you need to do is contact Toyota USA or whatever they are and try to work it out. In my case, the national manufacturer pleaded my case to the dealer and got some stuff done for me (they offered the dealer to pay for teardown and inspection). If the dealer and Toyota then both deny your claim, you should file a claim with your state's BBB online. This is actually not hard to do and will usually get results very fast as the BBB will call the dealer and Toyota to inform them a claim has been made and ask if they would still like to deny your claim. According to the BBB here, this is where 95 percent of them give in and award you the work. If they don't, then it goes to arbitration. This will take a few weeks total and with your receipts you are almost assuredly going to win the arbitration. They then, by law, have to fix it within 30 days.

Then and only then should you seek council to sue. Read through your warranty and there is probably something along these lines there. If you go to litigation before the BBB you may void your warranty entirely. This was the agreement in my factory warranty that I signed when I bought the car. Pretty painless process to be honest. The only reason I even had to take it that far as the dealer and I had some personal issues that went way back and they were just being jerks. Even Mazda USA was surprised by their attitude and tried to get them to do the work.

Just don't give up. Sometimes I think they do this just because they know most people don't know about the BBB and/or just don't want to go through the fuss. It is really simple to file a claim with them and they are a 3rd party that has no vested interest and will be objective. This is pretty much cut and dry. You are under warranty, you have the receipts to prove maintenance was done. Cut and dry. But like I said, my bet is the dealer will probably not give you any problem. Toyota will probably send a rep out to look over the vehicle and see the receipts and give the ok. Then they'll probably send a new longblock and the dealer will install it and that will be the end of it.

Call the 1800 customer complaint # in the owners manual and have them open a claim. Be polite and tell them the dealer is trying to avoid the warranty repair. Upon taking the engine apart they should be able to tell if the engine was maintained properly. I always do that . The dealer is called by Toyota corp people, then in my experience their additude is changed.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I am right - the first thing the OP was asked for was receipts of oil changes, which he doesn't have. Therefore, he caused himself a problem, and has the dealership 'questioning' what he is doing. If you'll notice, i didn't 'make that up' - it's a FACT!

You need to re-read Bro... I do have receipts. For the three years, I purchased oil in bulk....three times and have two of the three receipts.

Two of those receipts, include a total of 60 quarts of 5w30 and 5w20 oil....a total of 12 gallons of oil. I also have a receipt for 6, Pure One Oil Filters for the 4Runner.

I will restate....I don't think the Service Rep is trying to screw me....but getting his ducks in a row to help me with Toyota.

I am fully expecting a FULL WARRANTY REPLACEMENT!

I meet with the dealership on Tuesday, to deliver the documentation and discuss the work.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I also would probably not let the son drive one of your vehicles. Make him buy his own. Lead footed higher RPM driving, maybe some manual shifting for fun, maybe the engine a quart or 2 low on oil.... all add up... and BOOM.....

While most 20 year-olds will hot-rod a rig, my son takes really great care of this vehicle. Upon purchase of the Touareg, I gave him the 4Runner. He is extremely proud of the rig and takes really great care of it. When the failure happened, my 22 year old daughter and 15 year old daughter were in the vehicle with him and they said he did nothing wrong....no hot-rodding, etc. My son is crushed about the failure and very upset. He really hopes that Toyota honors their word.

Besides, the warranty doesn't state....."Oh yeah....if you drive it in this fashion for 60k miles, we will honor the warranty." The burden of proof is on them.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
For as long as I have been repairing cars I always say: what did you do before this happened??? Could the switch over to 5-20 cause the problem???

Really good question and point. I have actually been on 5w20 for quiet some time. The oil fill at time of failure was Motor Craft 5w20 Semi-Synth. The 5k miles prior was Motor Craft 5w20 as well. The 6 months prior was PU 5w20 and the fill before that was PP 5w20. All....very awesome oils.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Just one other point, I notice that the oil in the picture was for the most part not 5-30 or 5-20 I think just the GTX was 5-30. So my question how does the receipts of oil different visc. from reccomended help??

Correct. The pic was one of several that I have....to "brag" about my volume purchases and awesome deals. The pic on the first post, will be important because of all the Pure One Filters for the 4Runner. I have another pic with six, 5-quart jugs of Motor Craft 5w20....and another pic of four, 5-quart jugs of PP 5w20....and another pic of M1, 5w30 jugs.....etc.....

I will carry in my documentation and hope for the best.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: addyguy
This is EXACTLY why DIY oil changes on new vehicles are a problem!

'Debate' on here about whether or not you are allowed to do, this and what oils you are allowed to use, will do you NO good when they say 'yeah, just give us the receipts, and we'll submit it for a warraty claim..'... 'I don't have recipts, I do it myself' 'Well, sorry, we need receipts to submit the claim'....

All he money you just saved with DIY maintenance might have just cost you a new engine!

Good luck - I'd love to hear if you have any success with this!!! I'm really not trying to bust you a new one over this, it's just this is a great example of when our 'academic' debates turn into a real-life situation - who's gonna win???

That may be one of the most ill-informed comments I've seen here in a long time.

As long as the original poster has his receipts for the oil and filter purchases and a log of when the oil changes were done he'll be fine under warranty.

I will agree that this is one reason why I prefer not to have a stash-I'd rather purchase my supplies a week or so before the oil change so I have a receipt dated close to the oil change date. But in this case I doubt it will cause the original poster any issue as long as he has a receipt for oil that is of the correct viscosity and rating for his vehicle.

This is the whole problem, the OP is basically saying he doesn't have the receipts for the oil and filters, he's just like me I buy while stuff is on sale and keep a stash. There is a problem here we need to learn from. I agree with you, buy the oil when it is due for the change and keep the receipts. If Toyota doesnt honor this they are total jabroni's.

Originally Posted By: jazeo
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
2007 Toyota 4Runner 4x4
V6, 4.0L EnSgine
Purchased: September 2007
35,700 miles

Oil changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles

Last oil change done 700 miles ago: Motorcraft 5w20 Semi-Synth and Pure One oil filter

Moved to 5w20 based on TSB: EG018-06, which allows for 5w20 with GR series engines, which the 2007 4.0L V6 is.....

It's doubtful your choice of oil or weight has anything to do with the problem, however last year I sent an email to Toyota because I noticed AAP's computer also shows it being back spec'd to 5W20 the following was there response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

SAE 5W-30 is the recommended oil viscosity for the 2006/2007 Toyota 4Runner V6 and the Toyota Tacoma V6. In terms of maintaining the integrity of your warranty, our recommendation is adherence to the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. The engine oil and filter should be replaced every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

The recommended oil capacity is 5.5 quarts with a filter and 5.2 quarts without the filter change for both the 2006/2007 4Runner and Tacoma.

We recommend you follow all of the specification in the Owners Manual. Please refer to the section titled “Specifications” in your owner’s manual for more information. The manual is available online at www.toyotaownersonline.com.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us by responding to this email or by calling 1-800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM, Pacific Time, on Saturdays.

Gilbert Dyer
Toyota Customer Experience

But......Gilbert should know his own company's TSB's.....

TSB link

Guys they don't care WHEN you buy the oil. They CARE that you CHANGED the oil PER their MANUAL recommendations. They are NOT checking the receipts for dates, they are checking for WHAT you used and that there was enough. Same with filters. They could care less if you use Fram, Pureone, Wix or boo boo filters. They DO care that you used the CORRECT filter and oil when specified in the manual for your driving conditions.

Been there done that.

If it were me and I couldn't get a warranty repair with documentation that I purchased the oil myself, I'd mention in conversation with the service manager that I will have my lawyer draft an affidavit [sworn statement that would be admissible in court], if necessary, stating the facts as to the oil and filters being used on the engine for them to submit to Toyota. You wouldn't be threatening to sue directly, but I believe the veiled threat would come through loud and clear and work to your benefit.

Last edited:
No invoices, go to AAP. Take a picture there of the proper grade oil and filters, enough for all the needed OCI's and one extra. Lay them out on the floor in a spot out of the way, tell them it is your basement. Heck my guy will let me take 5W30 oil and a filter for my van ring it up as 5w20 and a filter for my Jeep if I want. As long as he's making a sale he doesn't care. You want to get real creative, change the date on the camera and post the date on the picture. Honestly I would have no problems dealing with them at all, it might take a few rounds but they'd see it my way.

You'll be fine, just be organized and prepared.

Set up a nice maint' log on a spread sheet, include things like checking brakes and tire rotations.

Toyota should be able to tell if the oil has been changed regularly just by the condition of the other internal components in the engine. Toyota is just trying to pull more people into the loop. If you got it changed at Iffyloob then Toyota can claim they didn't use the right oil, or that they didn't put enough into the crankcase.

Last edited:
Relax,boys. Big John seems fine at this point. The dealer just has to document some routine facts. Or,do you think the dealers can just give away engines to all that ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back