Engine Failure - Toyota 4Runner V6 - Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, starting immediately, my standard practice will be.....

Set the oil and filter on the car, snap a digital pic, print the pic, hand write the date on the pic and my signature. Then this pic will go in a file.

I thought about doing this practice years ago....but didn't....and hope I don't regret my laziness.

Oh yeah....probably a second pic of the odometer.

Last edited:
Since I'm someone WHO DOES buy on sale and has a stash let me tell you how it went for me when I DID have a warranty claim and the MFG asked for the records and receipts for maintenance.

Took them my note book with my hand written oil changes indicating that the correct oil and filters where changed within the MFG recommendations for correct OCI. They then looked and compared bar codes on my receipts that I used the correct weight and oil for the changes. Most of the receipts were WAY off the date of the oil change in the log. They could care less.

They DID pay for the issue once they had the info. No reason to worry and PAY for the Stealership to service your vehicle while under warranty.

Oh and my failure was at 61,000 miles and 3 years old. The vehicle had a 3yr/36k mile power train warranty. They STILL paid. The "feature" came back again @ 108,000 miles and they told me to pound sand. Once I fixed the problem AGAIN I sold the vehicle to a friend (who knew about the "feature") and it went to a little over 150,000 miles and the transmission is toast. Doubt it will get fixed.

Bill

This is why it is important to use the correct spec oil and OCI for the vehicle that is under warranty. If we do that, and keep proper records, there chouldn't ever be a problem with the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
This is EXACTLY why DIY oil changes on new vehicles are a problem!

I disagree, and NEVER have had any form of service performed at a stealership, except for warranty and/or recall issues. Receipts for oil and filters, plus any form of written record of time and mileage at which the oil was changed is sufficient... by law.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Pablo

I agree, which is why I am now using oil with the API approvals as well. Does that matter? Maybe maybe not, just hedging my bet in the event of a problem, rare or not. I have a detailed log, and all invoices for oil and filters.

That's not what he said at all. You would have the same hassle according to his logic. Nothing to do with API oil. Sorry bucko, you changed the oil yourself. I should look at the picture again, but all I think they all are API oils, so let's not have that stupid debate for the millionth time!!

API did I strike a sour note, stupid debate? LOL Lets see how this poor guy makes out.

Yours truly,
Bucko!

PS why are certain Amsoil reps so hostile and aggressive? Did I mention Amsoil?

Hostile and aggressive?

FACT: API really has nothing to with this thread. This is NO place for it and it won't help the OP in the least.
FACT: One (or more?) respondent stated that he was basically screwed because he was a DIY changer. After this,

you wrote

I agree

(I think most cooler heads disagree with this stance) And I responded.

FACT: Nothing I wrote or said is "hostile and aggressive". Not sure how you can extract that. Seems like you got pretty darn defensive in your response.
FACT: This thread has NOTHING to do with Amsoil. I did NOT mention Amsoil at all, nor did I even think about it until you did.

Problem with most receipts these days is that they are printed on that thermal paper, and after a year or so the receipt starts to disappear! I hate that...

Originally Posted By: Rickey
Your dealership has chosen a very negative way to handle this warranty claim IMHO.
Sadly you are being treated as if YOU are trying to defraud THEM!
Is there a chance that you might take it to another dealership?
Maybe a few calls to other dealerships explaining your plight are in order.

Good luck Sir.

Rickey.

I think you misread a bit what BigJohn wrote (or maybe was it not too clear?).
Why assuming the dealer wants to fight?
He just needs some documentation to present to Toyota America in order to do the job for him.
If the dealer doesn't do that, HE will have to pay for the engine.
He surely doesn't want BigJohn to pay for a new engine (keep good relationship with a client), but he surely doesn't want to pay either. He wants Toyota to pay for the engine, so he needs documentation in order to get that for his client.

Why being so negative against dealers?

Like JHZR2, that is why I do UOAs on each of my oil change. But there is also a reason for that: As I don't follow their recommendations, I need to prove (to myself included) that what I do has no negative impact on my engine.

Don't forget that the dealer will also be able to download the exact times and dates of when the maintenance reminder was reset everytime the OP changed the oil and reset it.

Between that info, the picture he has of the oil he purchased and the fact that the oil and filter looked good when the dealer first looked, I don't see a problem for the OP.

Good luck, keep us updated on this
smile.gif

Be sure to maintain a legible copy of anything handed over. Or at least the original if they accept a copy. Funny how things can disappear, get lost during a shuffle.
And a spec oil used within recommended OCIs cause a hole like that..... Hummmmmmmm

I scan my receipts into the computer and link them to my maintenance log spreadsheet. That way, I don't have to worry about the thermal receipts "disappearing."

I seriously doubt you're going to have a problem. If you were using an approved lubricant and you have the receipts, that should be enough. I agree the sky-is-falling post is a lot of nonsense.

I'm guessing there's a maintenance log book, and that you've filled in the dates/mileage of the oil change? If not, I'd fill it out now...

One thing I'll mention is that I also by stuff in bulk--I bought 60K worth of filters in one shot. When I changed the oil, I ripped off the top of the filter box and wrote down the mileage and the date and just stuck them in my maintenance folder where I keep all of the receipts. This is something my dad use to do, so I just got in the habit. I'm sure it's not necessary, but in the event of losing a receipt, it's probably not a bad idea.

Also, I don't think the dealer's request is unreasonable. We've seen that there are plenty of folks out there who would still be on the factory fill at this point.

I agree, which is why I am now using oil with the API approvals as well. Does that matter? Maybe maybe not, just hedging my bet in the event of a problem, rare or not. I have a detailed log, and all invoices for oil and filters.

That's not what he said at all. You would have the same hassle according to his logic. Nothing to do with API oil. Sorry bucko, you changed the oil yourself. I should look at the picture again, but all I think they all are API oils, so let's not have that stupid debate for the millionth time!!

API did I strike a sour note, stupid debate? LOL Lets see how this poor guy makes out.

Yours truly,
Bucko!

PS why are certain Amsoil reps so hostile and aggressive? Did I mention Amsoil?

Hostile and aggressive?

FACT: API really has nothing to with this thread. This is NO place for it and it won't help the OP in the least.
FACT: One (or more?) respondent stated that he was basically screwed because he was a DIY changer. After this,

you wrote

I agree

(I think most cooler heads disagree with this stance) And I responded.

FACT: Nothing I wrote or said is "hostile and aggressive". Not sure how you can extract that. Seems like you got pretty darn defensive in your response.
FACT: This thread has NOTHING to do with Amsoil. I did NOT mention Amsoil at all, nor did I even think about it until you did.

You seem hostile and defensive here, but that's happened a few times when you and I post in certain threads. You ripped into me for comments I made about Amsoil grease, I'm sure you remember that?

Read what I wrote, I said I agree to a "point". I also added I keep records and have proof of what I bought. Where's the problem? All the OP has to do is prove he bought oil and filters, and create a log of when he did the OCI's. Then see what happens, and report back. If the engine was defective it should be a slam dunk.

I also said he's guilty until he proves himself innocent. If he wasn't they wouldn't be asking for records would they? A pretty standard procedure, however if he had no records he'd really be screwed. If he bought 100 qts of oil and 20 filters the day he bought his car, and the oil was the oil spec'd for the car along with the proper filter, he should have no problems, no matter where he bought the oil and filters from. I'd have no problem presenting that as evidence. Lets see what happens, while he is gathering his proof the car sits.

I can say I am a bit hostile toward dealers, but I've been in the business and know that some of them can be real [censored]. So I might be a little bit of a skeptic.

Good luck!

At first it seemed somewhat strange to me that the dealer asked for a regimen of receipts (last 7 oil changes). After all, I doubt that I could produce the necessary receipts. (I do keep a log on maintenance).

But looking at it from the dealer's point of view, they need some assurance that the oil was adequately maintained. As long as the dealer isn't nit-picky about receipts, I trust this issue should come to a reasonable conclusion.

Not to hijack this topic or anything, but I thought this would be the best place to put this without starting a new topic.

I can't find a receipt for an Oil Change I bought last year for my Honda. Is it possible for me to go to Advance Auto Parts and have them print one off or is over a year too long?

After reading this thread it got me thinking about my receipts and I went and checked and there is only this one that I can't find.

Thanks

1st off to the OP;

As long as those receipts show enough oil and filters to do the requested 7 OC's AND they show the correct oil and filters were purchased and used you will ultimately be just fine in the end. Just explain that you buy in bulk when items are on sale. There is nothing wrong with that.

Sorry for your misfortune and I wish you the best of luck dealing with Toyota on warranty. Been there, done that, and it wasn't fun. Actually, back in 2005 when I bought my Tacoma I actually was given a paper at the time of sale saying if I did my own maintenance and repairs( was ok to do - they weren't saying I couldn't or anything )I HAD to keep receipts and accurate records for verification purposes if a warranty claim was made.

Now on to the following quote and resulting hostilities...

A lot of people have jumped addyguy over this comment but I think those doing so are missing his point. I believe what he means is the hoops and hurdles the OP now has to jump through and over are because he has done DIY OC's and the dealer has no record of any being done. It isn't because he did the OC's per say it is because the dealer has no record of them being done so now the DIY'er has to go through a hassle proving he/she actually did do their maintenance on time and with the correct parts. Nothing unusual about the request and nothing "hostile" from the dealer IMO at all. Just SOP.

addyguy is not saying because the OP did DIY OC's that he screwed himself on the warranty but rather because of that it is now going to be more involved for him to get it covered. That is how I took it anyway. And I agree as well. I bring my own parts but let the dealer do the actual OC. I have it on file with the dealer when any OC is done and they are the ones who did it. If this happened to me I would not have to worry about receipts. I keep them anyway just in case and also to pass on with the truck when I sell it but the chances of me being asked are very slim vs someone who does all their own work.

Don't get me wrong here either. There is NOTHING wrong with DIY maintenance and repairs. I do some myself. It just means when a problem does pop up that you have to prove you did everything right. Too many people think they can do whatever they want and the dealer/car mfg has no rights. I hope this shows them otherwise.

Even though a hole in the block/oil pan is not something you would say is oil related as a rule it could be if maintenance was not done. Poor maintenance could have lead to whatever caused the failure( I assume a rod went through the block or oil pan ). Toyota or any mfg in this instance, 100% for sure, is going to want to see that proper maintenance was done.

I worked dealer service and this would be SOP for this situation. Once the owner showed his/her receipts it would not be an issue. If he/she could not show proof that the right items were used( i.e. weight and ratings plus correct oil filter )and everything was done on time then there could be problems. In this instance the OP does have recipts for enough bulk items, of the correct type, so he should be ok. I do agree with those who say they prefer to buy one OC at a time so the receipts match up better with the stated OC date. I have done it a few times with oil filters. Less chance of questions if you buy as needed but buying in bulk is ok too.

I hope this puts to bed once and for all on this site the belief that dealers never ask for proof of proper maintenance and for receipts if you do the work yourself or have it done at an independant shop. I also further hope it puts to bed this belief that you are not required to follow the mfg's requirements for weights, ratings, and OCI length too. This is yet another example of a failure where it is being asked for. I posted about my Sister's Impala, Bill the Mod posted about it, and now we have the OP with his Toyota experience. There have been others too.

Use the proper weight and rated oil, use the correct filter by application, and do the change within the allowed for max mileage/time limit as set forth by the car mfg in your owner's manual. If you do the work yourself document it well and keep your receipts! Just imagine the mess the OP would be in if he was doing 1 year and 15, 20, or 25K+ OCI's with non API cetified oil. Imagine further if the OP used say a 0W-40 where a 5W-20 was called for and was using an oversized filter. This stuff does matter folks when you have a vehicle under warranty!

Last edited:
I am not going to get into a back-and forth argument with folks like Pablo and Pop_Rivit, others who seem to think I'm an idiot.

I am right - the first thing the OP was asked for was receipts of oil changes, which he doesn't have. Therefore, he caused himself a problem, and has the dealership 'questioning' what he is doing. If you'll notice, i didn't 'make that up' - it's a FACT!

We'll just see how this plays out - this is where the 'rubber meets the road'...if the OP gets this repaired w/o further hassle, then I will admit I'm worng, and that DIY doesn't cause warranty problems - but i don't think I will have to do that.

NHHEMI:

Thank-you - that is exactly what I meant. I couldn't have said it better, and I'm glad someone here is smart enough to see that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back