Engine Failure - Toyota 4Runner V6 - Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: radtech91
Not to hijack this topic or anything, but I thought this would be the best place to put this without starting a new topic.

I can't find a receipt for an Oil Change I bought last year for my Honda. Is it possible for me to go to Advance Auto Parts and have them print one off or is over a year too long?

After reading this thread it got me thinking about my receipts and I went and checked and there is only this one that I can't find.

Thanks

radtech91 or anyone else that owns a late model Honda, you can register at this link and keep a running computer record of every service you or anyone else does to your Honda. This is where I keep records for both of my Honda Elements for oil changes, warranty work, tire rotations, new tires, body shop work, etc. Hope it helps some Honda owners for simple record keeping.

Honda Owners Link

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: radtech91
Not to hijack this topic or anything, but I thought this would be the best place to put this without starting a new topic.

I can't find a receipt for an Oil Change I bought last year for my Honda. Is it possible for me to go to Advance Auto Parts and have them print one off or is over a year too long?

After reading this thread it got me thinking about my receipts and I went and checked and there is only this one that I can't find.

Thanks

radtech91 or anyone else that owns a late model Honda, you can register at this link and keep a running computer record of every service you or anyone else does to your Honda. This is where I keep records for both of my Honda Elements for oil changes, warranty work, tire rotations, new tires, body shop work, etc. Hope it helps some Honda owners for simple record keeping.

Honda Owners Link

Already do that thanks. Its a great place to keep all the work done.

I just need to get that receipt. lol

I just seen on another forum that you can have them print off all your purchases from your phone number that you gave them when you did a purchase. But I can't remember if they ask you for your number when you get oil. Do they?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I am not going to get into a back-and forth argument with folks like Pablo and Pop_Rivit, others who seem to think I'm an idiot.

I am right - the first thing the OP was asked for was receipts of oil changes, which he doesn't have. Therefore, he caused himself a problem, and has the dealership 'questioning' what he is doing. If you'll notice, i didn't 'make that up' - it's a FACT!

We'll just see how this plays out - this is where the 'rubber meets the road'...if the OP gets this repaired w/o further hassle, then I will admit I'm worng, and that DIY doesn't cause warranty problems - but i don't think I will have to do that.

He actually does have receipts. He just purchased in bulk so he doesn't have individual receipts for each OC date. He wiill be fine as long as he can show the 7 OC's with proper items.

DIY doesn't cause warranty problems when you follow the requirements the car mfg sets. Use the correct weight and rated oil, the correct filter, and change it on time. Keep your receipts and a log to show everything was done properly. When asked just present it and that is all that should be needed.

I suspect that the OP will get this covered no problem as long as his bulk receipts show the correct items which I believe has already been shown they do. Just SOP for the dealer/car mfg to verify proper maintenance when none was done at their dealer before proceeding with an expensive repair like that.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
2007 Toyota 4Runner 4x4
V6, 4.0L EnSgine
Purchased: September 2007
35,700 miles

Oil changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles

Last oil change done 700 miles ago: Motorcraft 5w20 Semi-Synth and Pure One oil filter

Moved to 5w20 based on TSB: EG018-06, which allows for 5w20 with GR series engines, which the 2007 4.0L V6 is.....

It's doubtful your choice of oil or weight has anything to do with the problem, however last year I sent an email to Toyota because I noticed AAP's computer also shows it being back spec'd to 5W20 the following was there response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

SAE 5W-30 is the recommended oil viscosity for the 2006/2007 Toyota 4Runner V6 and the Toyota Tacoma V6. In terms of maintaining the integrity of your warranty, our recommendation is adherence to the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. The engine oil and filter should be replaced every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

The recommended oil capacity is 5.5 quarts with a filter and 5.2 quarts without the filter change for both the 2006/2007 4Runner and Tacoma.

We recommend you follow all of the specification in the Owners Manual. Please refer to the section titled “Specifications” in your owner’s manual for more information. The manual is available online at www.toyotaownersonline.com.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us by responding to this email or by calling 1-800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM, Pacific Time, on Saturdays.

Gilbert Dyer
Toyota Customer Experience

I should stress, I DO hope the OP get this fixed...it would be horrible for a BITOGER to get denied coverage when most of us take better care of cars than anyone....I wasn't after a "HA! told you so!" moment.

If they open up the engine, and see how clean and maintained it is, there really should be any question beyond that, except 'why did the engine let go?'

I am not going to get into a back-and forth argument with folks like Pablo and Pop_Rivit, others who seem to think I'm an idiot.

I am right - the first thing the OP was asked for was receipts of oil changes, which he doesn't have.

Dude - no one here thinks you are an idiot. I probably just over read the emphasis on this part:

Quote:
This is EXACTLY why DIY oil changes on new vehicles are a problem!

'I don't have recipts, I do it myself' 'Well, sorry, we need receipts to submit the claim'....

All he money you just saved with DIY maintenance might have just cost you a new engine!

He did say he has receipts, just large and spread. And it sorta looked like you said he might be screwed; "might have just cost you a new engine!"

No back and forth. I'm done in this thread. I need to start my Christmas shopping.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I need to start my Christmas shopping.

If that's the case, you're the one that's screwed. Nothing like putting it off to the last minute.
grin2.gif

If that's the case, you're the one that's screwed. Nothing like putting it off to the last minute.
grin2.gif

LOL the stores here are open 24 hours, if you can handle the people and long lines.

Okay....you're right...deep breath....

First time in my life, I finished my shopping early this year - done like a week ago!

Pablo, good luck getting it done!

To the OP: I think you will be fine. Show them everything you got for it and they will take care of you. I'm sure when they crack open that 4 liter (no pun intended) they will see that it is spotless. And if you have that TSB on the 5w20 thing, then by all means include that with your receipts.

If you keep a log book of maintenance, you should have no problem with the dealer. If they give you an issue, escalate it up to Toyota.

The picture of your oil stock, along with those old receipts will help back up your log book. If you don't keep a log book, good luck.

The judge, along with DOT, FAA... will recognize the validity of a maintenance log book. Problem is, most automakers need a lawyer's or court room reminder. Receipts fade and can get lost.

I also would probably not let the son drive one of your vehicles. Make him buy his own. Lead footed higher RPM driving, maybe some manual shifting for fun, maybe the engine a quart or 2 low on oil.... all add up... and BOOM.....

grin2.gif

haha... just finished mine! Stores were open 24 hours in the area. Nothing like pulling an all nighter. Now I have about 4 hours of wrapping to do
grin2.gif

If there is a hole in the oil pan then most likely a rod bearing failed along with a conecting rod. Cut open the oil filter and im sure you will find all kinds of bearing debris in there.

Magnussun-Moss warranty act. If you have your reciepts you will probably be fine.

Even if the dealer and manufacturer deny your claim all is not lost. Most manufacturers have a deal with the BBB wherein an arbitrator steps in to hear your case. You will have the chance to be heard and show your proof (receipts and pictures, etc) and the burden of proof will be on the manufacturer to prove neglect... which is not really possible if you have your receipts.

In this circumstance, the arbitrator with the BBB will order, by law, them to fix or replace your engine. They are given 30 days to contact you and fix it. Then you have 2 weeks to test drive it and approve their work. In this agreement, they agree to fix it and you agree to not take legal action against them.

I only know all this through recent experience and the BBB arbitrator ruled in my favor citing no proof given whatsoever to prove any kind of neglect. Which is very difficult for them to do.

If the arbitrator does rule in their favor, you are then given the right to take legal action... but I doubt this will go that far. In fact, I'm betting they will fix it for you in the first place. But if not, file with your state's BBB office online. Usually, this 95% of the time will result in the manufacturer taking care of it immediately. If not, it goes to arbitration and you show up and the manufacturer usually just phones in, and you are both given a chance to state your case. This is where they will be burden'd with proving neglect, and it will have to be some really solid proof. ie: pictures of a sludged and worn engine or something to that effect. Very difficult.

So don't give up or lose hope even if they deny your claim as they did mine. I was just recently awarded a full replacement for my case as the arbitrator cited the lack of any proof whatsoever. It's very hard for them to prove neglect. Judging from your picture (keep a copy of this too) and with your reciepts, I doubt you even have to file a BBB claim at all, and if you do, that alone will probably result in them fixing it. My BBB case person said that 95% of all claims filed result in the manufacturer giving in right then and there and fixing it. Only %5 are taken to arbitration, and then the magnussun moss warranty act puts the heavy burden of proof on them, not you.

Originally Posted By: forcedtalon
If there is a hole in the oil pan then most likely a rod bearing failed along with a conecting rod. Cut open the oil filter and im sure you will find all kinds of bearing debris in there.

Bingo. Next figure out what caused the failure. Mfg screw up, defective part/parts, abuse, neglect, low oil, wrong oil, bad oil, etc.?

An 07 Toyota with an engine failure at that many miles scares the you know what out of me, it just proves that ANY vehicle made by ANY manufacturer can have an issue. (As the owner of two Dodges 05 and 07 I always keep documentation on everything because I'm parinoid).

Okay....you're right...deep breath....

First time in my life, I finished my shopping early this year - done like a week ago!

Pablo, good luck getting it done!

Yep, the wifes gifts were wrapped and put under the tree Tuesday night. Unlike my normal spree on Christmas Eve! You'll be ok Pablo, done it for years but I have to say this way is better!

OP, I hope it all works out for you! As addy said, it would really suck if they don't look after you seeing as you've probably maintained far better than average. Always figured if I bought new I would get something in writing from the dealer or manufacturer or both on how this would work and that it was ok.

For as long as I have been repairing cars I always say: what did you do before this happened??? Could the switch over to 5-20 cause the problem??? As I had the start problem when I switched to Edge. Just thinking. Probably no answer to that question but please give us the final outcome to this before,
frown.gif
Christmas nightmare, we will benefit from the knowledge .
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
2007 Toyota 4Runner 4x4
V6, 4.0L EnSgine
Purchased: September 2007
35,700 miles

Oil changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles

Last oil change done 700 miles ago: Motorcraft 5w20 Semi-Synth and Pure One oil filter

Moved to 5w20 based on TSB: EG018-06, which allows for 5w20 with GR series engines, which the 2007 4.0L V6 is.....

Just one other point, I notice that the oil in the picture was for the most part not 5-30 or 5-20 I think just the GTX was 5-30. So my question how does the receipts of oil different visc. from reccomended help??

How many miles were on the current OCI when the engine blew?

Your situation is suspiciously similar to another 4th gen T4R V6 owner, maintained the car well , used quality oils and filters, then the engine just went bellyup out of the blue one day. The problem was traced to a defective Amsoil extended drain filter he was using. It failed prematurely and caused oil starvation. After a few months of back and forth Amsoil cut him a check for $4500 to cover the replacement engine. (say what you will about Amsoil , but they back up their products)

It's worth looking into, hopefully the dealer hasn't tossed it already. Anybody know the warranty offered by Purolator? Do they even have one?

These T4R's are rock solid and generally any engine failure is rarely ever the oil's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back