Dumb marketing. Miles in an oil's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just hit me like a ton of bricks after picking up some Mobil Super 5000. This is a stupid name. For an oil which is rated SN/GF-5, why on earth would they claim that the product only protects up to 5,000 miles!? Most manufacturers recommend <6,000 miles OCIs. Does Mobil think that consumers will see that and choose to pay more for Mobil 1 instead? I certainly hope not. 90% of consumers would simply put down the MS5K and pick up PYB, etc. Of course I also realize that 90% of DIYers wouldn't even think of this but some definitely will. Of course we all know MS5K can protect for more than 5k miles, I just don't get the business model Mobil is using in this marketing.

Does 5000 stand for 5000 miles?

The conventional Mobil over here is call Mobil Super 1000 We also get MS 2000 and MS 3000

Yup, it states somewhere on the bottle that it offers protection for up to 5,000 miles. I'm not familiar with your oils down under.

Well since so many people are programmed to believe they need to change their oil every 3,000 miles, 5,000 may sound awesome.

What does that say for OCIs on Mobil 1?
grin.gif

XOM actually states that it provides protection for 5,000 miles, or your vehicle manufacturer's scheduled interval, whichever is longer.

Mobil guarantees protection up 5000. That is just the limit of how far they will stand behind the product in the event of an oil related failure. For their synthetic products it is 7500 miles, and EP is 15k.
Bear in mind, most manufacturers with OLM's or extended intervals only test with synthetic oils, or OEM oils when developing the algorithms for their OLM's. Therefore a conventional oil is not going to be formulated with extended drain intervals in mind.
Mobil Super 5000 is an outstanding product, and 5000 miles is a good recommendation for a conventional oil OCI. The name lets the consumer know that they stand behind their product.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
XOM actually states that it provides protection for 5,000 miles, or your vehicle manufacturer's scheduled interval, whichever is longer.

Bingo!

Most people could care less ! I'm not being disrespectful, but most people I see in the oil aisle are looking for cheap, not the right product.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

From what I've seen most oil filter makers also state this, except I've seen as low as 3,000 miles (or the vehicle manufacturer's recommended interval). So it's really nothing unusual.

Last edited:
I dont think the name is connected to the mileage as they use Mobil Super 1000, 2000, 3000, etc as other names for products

Mobil Super 5000 does not bother me in the slightest (no matter what the intent of the name) because it is their only conventional oil line. The one they do sell that I see zero value or need for is Mobil Super Synthetic. It is typically in the $5.00 to 6.00+ range per quart (depending on where you shop) and M1 is that price or cheaper.

I do not see a market for MSS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back