Do You Use Amsoil? Why or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey man, try not to make it personal. He didn't go there, and I suspect he won't. Neither should you.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I am so loving this feedback. It seems that people using spec oil synthetic is working out just fine. I'm receiving swag from Pennzoil which I will post on clubcivic.com/HockeyZombies. I do think amsoil does have a place,but not with people who have a true grasp of a dollar or people struggling it to make it. No api doesnt help and the dealers are garbage at best. Look at their homes; all the money spent on oil and their houses neglected via paint peeling,etc. Glad I am a Pennzoil user using natural gas.If amsoil was so good Ferrari would use it and so would Hennessey,but they dont.

I am enjoying it as well. As an Amsoil dealer for twenty years now I have often wonder about many of the ideas given as feedback in this thread. I have seen how some of the higher levels of a few MLM based companies live.....it is not just Amsoil. In a nutshell those at the bottom or even middle of the MLM ranks are struggling to make it work. In any MLM you have to work very hard for the freedom of having your own business. If you do not recruit or sponsor or whatever term any certain MLM uses....you will not make it. Most of the time you will not make a living from selling the products alone. The money comes in from your downline. You recruit or sponsor, then you train. You hope your downline will do the same. If you are not a people person or are not into a dedicated life of sales, then no MLM is going to work for you as a way to make a living. My sponsoring dealer is quite high in the Amsoil ranking system of Jobbers. He often busts butt six days a week doing sales, trade shows, warehouse runs to stock his own small "store" which he runs from a storage unit, etc. Most MLM type businesses are legit and legal and they are not a pyramid scheme. However most MLMs are not really about the product. They are more about selling a dream, a lifestyle....while using motor oil, vitamins, makeup, etc to help you "live your dreams". With all MLMs I have ever seen there is a huge focus on motivation and "pump you up" type training. When I bought into Amsoil I was young and was sucked in to the idea of money, a job, my own career, and the high energy that is often part of most MLM training. Have you ever listened to a Zig Ziglar or Tony Robbins training series? That is what living in the world of most MLMs is like. You get constant training and motivation IF you choose to use it and apply it. The problem is that (in my view, and views of most critics) the only ones making money in MLM are those at the top of the ladder. Amsoil is no different. Good products but the MLM model is why Amsoil will never have the success or exposure of Pennzoil and Exxon/Mobil.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

But the help is available by simply asking. I know what you are saying though, if you choose to buy direct and don't want help, why should anyone be compensated? In that case the analogy would be a store, you drive to the store, buy your product without asking questions. The person ringing you up may have never touched the product, and knows very little about it. He and his manager, and some corporate people get paid from the margin on that and other products.

But he did not go to the store.
It is as if I ordered 5 qts of oil and a filter from Advance Auto parts and had it shipped directly to my house, but the local sales clerk and store manager get a cut of that money because they are closest to my house. Sure they are there if I need help. Sure I could go to the store to get it. I did not though, so why should they get a cut when they were not involved in the transaction at all?

Don't use it.

1.MLM = pyramid scheme imho

2.It also seems that the SS is not suited to any longer oci than any readily available synthetic like m1 ep etc.

If it doesn't last longer why would I pay 3 times the price?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher

But the help is available by simply asking. I know what you are saying though, if you choose to buy direct and don't want help, why should anyone be compensated? In that case the analogy would be a store, you drive to the store, buy your product without asking questions. The person ringing you up may have never touched the product, and knows very little about it. He and his manager, and some corporate people get paid from the margin on that and other products.

It is as if I ordered 5 qts of oil and a filter from Advance Auto parts and had it shipped directly to my house, but the local sales clerk and store manager get a cut of that money because they are closest to my house. Sure they are there if I need help. Sure I could go to the store to get it. I did not though, so why should they get a cut when they were not involved in the transaction at all?

I agree it's a rough analogy. But Advance Auto parts would make some profit on that online sale, correct? Who pays the people in the store?

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Don't use it.
1.MLM = pyramid scheme

2.It also seems that the SS is not suited to any longer oci than any readily available synthetic like m1 ep etc.

1. MLM is NOT a pyramid scheme. If you say that, then you don't understand either.

2. SS is great long drain oil. What makes it "seem" like it isn't if you don't use it?

Hey I get that some people here don't like Amsoil, but the personal insults and the attitudes are a bit much. The OP keeps repeating himself, I'm trying to answer questions, but all the false accusations about Amsoil are exactly that. I have found nothing shady about Amsoil in 16 years. MLM is a perfectly legal system. I don't kill myself doing sales, I am not a people person at all, quite the opposite. It does take a long time to get enough sales to be worth it, I never thought it was get rich scheme, nor does Amsoil ever promote that.

Yes, I use Amsoil 90% of the time and have done so for about 35 years. I'll venture off every now and then but I have always come back. I use it because of their variety of products. I can use SS to OE oils. I always use their ATF and Diff fluids. I did have to venture out to RL for my MT fluid in my '89 Prelude.

I actually like going to my dealer's shop. He's a really nice guy and I think he sells everything at 25% discount. He has always accommodated me when I change my mind and want to swap something out. He gives me advice and I trust him. I remember 30-35 years ago when he was gone all the time putting on shows from FL to Maine. His wife ran the shop out of their finished garage in their home. He would make runs to Richmond VA to get product and do training meetings for new dealers on his way back. I saw how hard he worked. I saw how his wife supported him while he was gone trying to get his business going. He had to pay his own motel rooms and travel expenses. Now he has an actual store in town. He worked hard and was rewarded.

I admire him for pursuing his dream. I could care less how Amsoil is marketed. I care about price and quality and availability. And knowing a dealer I can trust to help me.

Some of the comments that have been posted here are disgraceful. Honestly, I do not understand some of you.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Yes, I use Amsoil 90% of the time and have done so for about 35 years. I'll venture off every now and then but I have always come back. I use it because of their variety of products. I can use SS to OE oils. I always use their ATF and Diff fluids. I did have to venture out to RL for my MT fluid in my '89 Prelude.

I actually like going to my dealer's shop. He's a really nice guy and I think he sells everything at 25% discount. He has always accommodated me when I change my mind and want to swap something out. He gives me advice and I trust him. I remember 30-35 years ago when he was gone all the time putting on shows from FL to Maine. His wife ran the shop out of their finished garage in their home. He would make runs to Richmond VA to get product and do training meetings for new dealers on his way back. I saw how hard he worked. I saw how his wife supported him while he was gone trying to get his business going. He had to pay his own motel rooms and travel expenses. Now he has an actual store in town. He worked hard and was rewarded.

I admire him for pursuing his dream. I could care less how Amsoil is marketed. I care about price and quality and availability. And knowing a dealer I can trust to help me.

Some of the comments that have been posted here are disgraceful. Honestly, I do not understand some of you.

I would support this dealer as well...sounds like a good guy.

I agree it's a rough analogy. But Advance Auto parts would make some profit on that online sale, correct? Who pays the people in the store?

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Don't use it.
1.MLM = pyramid scheme

1. MLM is NOT a pyramid scheme. If you say that, then you don't understand either.

2. SS is great long drain oil. What makes it "seem" like it isn't if you don't use it?

Hey I get that some people here don't like Amsoil, but the personal insults and the attitudes are a bit much. The OP keeps repeating himself, I'm trying to answer questions, but all the false accusations about Amsoil are exactly that. I have found nothing shady about Amsoil in 16 years. MLM is a perfectly legal system. I don't kill myself doing sales, I am not a people person at all, quite the opposite. It does take a long time to get enough sales to be worth it, I never thought it was get rich scheme, nor does Amsoil ever promote that.

I wasn't trying to be inflammatory. I have no issues with Amsoil or you Pablo...your a respectful member and you've always shown class by respecting others opinions and not constantly pushing your products...frankly your also very helpful.

The question was asked and I offered my opinion. I do feel mlm is a pyramid scheme and Based on the uoa's I've seen SS does not hold up any better than oils like m1 0w40, the entire line of m1 ep, and pup. It is substantially more expensive and generally harder to get. That being said, if I had a dealer close by like the above member...id be happy to support him

You can explain, and try to justify, the AO sales model all you like, and personally, I don't buy into any of those kinds of schemes, whether it be Amway, Amsoil, or whatever. The fact remains, it's complicated for a reason, to make more money, period. Amsoil has no interest in selling through local stores, preferring to keep that cut of the money in their dealer system. It's a free country, at least for now, and we can each choose what to support. A good point was made earlier about the higher levels of group IV and V content, and I agree, who cares.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I
lol.gif
that people says it's not available. Really? As BITOGers we all watch our OCI, so it's very surprising to me that people aren't prepared to order a month or 1000 miles out from their planned oil change to get something delivered to their door! And that they wait until it's time to go and buy at the last minute -- how many times has someone here said, "I couldn't find my brand X oil after looking in 3 places I gave up and got brand Y".

I agree that Amsoil used to lead the pack, and that other oils have caught up. There might still be some slight advantage, especially for an extended drain, but even those are close.

I also miss the air filters!! Fantastic by any standards and cleanable/reusable for 100k miles or more. Too bad. Oil filters are very stout, synthetic media and good for at least 15k so good value there for a dollar or so more than FU.

In the past I used SS 0w30; living in Northern MT where temps got to -30°F for a few weeks in winter made that an easy choice. Now that I'm headed South a bit, I have been considering using the OE line of oils; at around $4 per quart they rival (nonsale) prices at WW and should be able to easily go 7500 miles if not more. But that'll be after using up my current stash of Schaeffer and getting some UOAs.

Hardy har... I don't need to plan or prepare for an oil change. I stop at walmart on my way home. Maybe pick up some tooth paste, and a gallon of milk while i'm there. Your planning and preparation sounds more difficult to me.

To each his own, sir, to each his own. Most of BITOG has some sort of stash of oil at home; when your stash gets low you get some more and as long as it's a good quality oil it really doesn't matter where we buy it or who makes it. In the end we are all oil geeks of one magnitude or another, we like what we like.

You like being able to pick up oil/filter at the same time as other items. Cool. For where I lived the last 4 years, WM was at minimum a 5+ hour round trip drive, so I like the convenience of ordering online and receiving a package on my doorstep a few days later.

Different doesn't necessarily mean bad....

Last edited:
Couple of bud's tried it in their Harley's, didn't work out to well. One road over to my place, said he was nervous about the noises the motor was making. We dropped it and filled him up with some good old GTX and away he went. Harley's are real particular about oil, or they'll sound like trashing machine ...

Redline offices are like 40 minutes away en route to my folks, so if I need a boutique synthetic or high end gear lube, it's just a drop-by for me. Otherwise, store bought oils are well good enough. None of our fleet is under 100,000 and many are over 200,000 and counting on mostly HDEO's and decent filters.

Out here the body will outlast the motor a few time over, so it's something to think about ... But store bought oil goes about as far as anything. It's usually some mechanical malfunction that shuts it all down. Then we rebuild and start again
smile.gif

Race motors are a whole nuther ball game. Motul Ester for air-cooled motors like race bikes. And it make Amsoil look cheap
laugh.gif

Redline for fuel and alcohol motors - only. Gas motors used to get VR-1. Now they get Delo 15W-30 Severe Duty if on the edge. If just a hot street motor, they get Maxlife (sort of VR-1 jr
smile.gif
) and cruise on. Turbo street motors get Rotella T6
smile.gif

2-stroke Detroits get what they want - mono grade for DD2, usually Delo 100. CAT's, Cummin's and tractors get Delo 400 15W-40 cause it's WAY cheaper than Delo 400 SAE 30 - even though I know the mono is a better deal for upper cylinder wear ...

So no real place where Amsoil would be a clear winner. So why ...

Yes, but they are paid based on the work they are doing in the store for the hours they put in regardless of what sales are made online.
I get what your saying, but I don't agree with it. Just another thing about MLM I don't like.

And I have no issue with your or Amsoil in general. You are always informative and helpful. As for Amsoil, they seem to have good products, but a little expensive for what they do. When it first came out, it really had no competition, but now most any off the shelf syn can do what Amsoil can, for a lot less cost and a lot more convenience.

I used to use it. Seemed to be a good product to me.

But now I do not, it's not worth it. The MLM scheme has turned me away as well. If they took away the multiple commissions, they could drop the price and get themselves out there more. Not really sure why some guy gets a cut from me buying the product directly online just because he's geographically close to me.

Yeah you search synthetic oil and its floods with amsoil sites. Reminds me kinda of what happened to John and Ted in the movie Ted2 everytime they did a google search.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Edmond
I used to use it. Seemed to be a good product to me.

But now I do not, it's not worth it. The MLM scheme has turned me away as well. If they took away the multiple commissions, they could drop the price and get themselves out there more. Not really sure why some guy gets a cut from me buying the product directly online just because he's geographically close to me.

Well if you choose a dealer such as me, then that local guy won't get "a cut" for doing zippo. I said this long ago on BITOG, bears repeating.

I never had an issue with the MLM aspect of Amsoil. Some of their marketing and dealers were a turn off but that is separate of the quality of the product. To me, Amsoil is just not worth it today due to the quality of off the shelf oils made by the major blenders. 20 years ago or so, Amsoil was worth it for those looking for a high quality long drain synthetic oil didn't want to use Mobil 1 (which was always readily available). Now I feel the top tier oils from the majors are as good, and in some ways better than Amsoil. Amsoil in some cases is a bit old school in their formulation approach. (depending on how you look at it). The value is just not there and what it used to be and that is largely due to the increase in synthetic oil demand and top tier oils from the major formulators/blenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back