Who Makes Extended Drain Oils And Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JLTD
Sorry it took a bit, life intruded on BITOG
grin2.gif
Here's the series of analyses I was talking about. The column headers are lined up properly on my screen, hopefully that translates to other platforms. The Amsoil was all Signature Series.

As you may note, all the oils are pretty similar at ~5000 mile/8000km interval. Also of note, M1 produced a LOT more iron and I recall it did the same on other samples I took from this engine. These were from a Jeep 4.0, known for putting out a lot of iron, but serves to illustrate that things are pretty close statistically at 5000 miles.

..................................................... AMS 5w30................ST Syn 5w30...VWB 5w30...M1 0w30...AMS 10w30..AMS10w30

[Linked Image]

How about some analysis:

Oil...................................Iron ppm per 1000 miles.........Aluminum per 1000 miles
AMS 5w30.................................3.84........................................0.80
ST Syn 5w30.............................3.42........................................0.76
VWB(now Daily Protection).......4.27........................................0.40
M1.............................................10.42......................................0.63
AMS 10w30...............................6.08 (at 10k)...........................0.39
AMS 10w30...............................5.875 (at 8k)...........................0.37

Hmmm out of these oils it looks like maybe I should have been using ST Syn in this engine. It was giving the least wear ppm and still had good TBN (3.8) at over 5000 miles so could have made it probably 7500. But since I was driving about 30,000 miles / 48,000km per year it made sense to try and use an extended drain oil...this was very early on in my OCI extension/testing phase so the distances were pretty conservative.

Again I'm just posting this to back up my assertion that at a short distance just about any oil will give decent results and that the value of Amsoil is going much longer distances. I didn't even scratch the potential of the Amsoil 10w30 - at 10k miles and still at 2.7 TBN it could probably have gone the distance all the way to 15k+ miles, especially since TBN depletion isn't linear. The M1 could easily have gone 10k, and the other oils 7500 miles, even the dino VWB.

Interesting.

Thanks for posting.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by JLTD
Sorry it took a bit, life intruded on BITOG
grin2.gif
Here's the series of analyses I was talking about. The column headers are lined up properly on my screen, hopefully that translates to other platforms. The Amsoil was all Signature Series.

As you may note, all the oils are pretty similar at ~5000 mile/8000km interval. Also of note, M1 produced a LOT more iron and I recall it did the same on other samples I took from this engine. These were from a Jeep 4.0, known for putting out a lot of iron, but serves to illustrate that things are pretty close statistically at 5000 miles.

..................................................... AMS 5w30................ST Syn 5w30...VWB 5w30...M1 0w30...AMS 10w30..AMS10w30

[Linked Image]

How about some analysis:

Oil...................................Iron ppm per 1000 miles.........Aluminum per 1000 miles
AMS 5w30.................................3.84........................................0.80
ST Syn 5w30.............................3.42........................................0.76
VWB(now Daily Protection).......4.27........................................0.40
M1.............................................10.42......................................0.63
AMS 10w30...............................6.08 (at 10k)...........................0.39
AMS 10w30...............................5.875 (at 8k)...........................0.37

Hmmm out of these oils it looks like maybe I should have been using ST Syn in this engine. It was giving the least wear ppm and still had good TBN (3.8) at over 5000 miles so could have made it probably 7500. But since I was driving about 30,000 miles / 48,000km per year it made sense to try and use an extended drain oil...this was very early on in my OCI extension/testing phase so the distances were pretty conservative.

Again I'm just posting this to back up my assertion that at a short distance just about any oil will give decent results and that the value of Amsoil is going much longer distances. I didn't even scratch the potential of the Amsoil 10w30 - at 10k miles and still at 2.7 TBN it could probably have gone the distance all the way to 15k+ miles, especially since TBN depletion isn't linear. The M1 could easily have gone 10k, and the other oils 7500 miles, even the dino VWB.

Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back