Who Makes Extended Drain Oils And Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I am not an oil geek, I do not concern myself with a 0.0001% difference in performance from brand to brand. I have been doing extended oil change intervals for years now. I am out of date and do not keep up with oil trends. I hit the Walmart and buy my oil and filter. I am only aware of two extended drain oils. Amsoil (too expensive and hard to get) and Mobil One Extended Performance or Annual Protection. I also know about the Fram, Mobile One, and Puralator 15k oil filters.

Who makes extended drain 5W-30 motor oils and filters that are easy to get locally or online, do not cost crazy retail plus shipping like Amsoil, and if bought online....offers free shipping?

I currently use Mobile One Extended Performance and a Fram synthetic oil filter. Why, because I can get it locally, get it anytime I need it, no one can beat the price. Thanks for the help.

I am, I was just wondering who else offers the products? Does Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, etc? Does anyone elso offer extended drain other than Amsoil and Mobile One?

Originally Posted by Patman
Sounds like you're already using an extended drain oil and an extended drain filter.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
Are you serious about using Tearalator 15k oil filter?

The 15k oil filter from Purolator isn't prone to tearing, that's the one with a fully synthetic media.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
Fram Ultra and M1EP filters are now rated 20K miles. Are you serious about using Tearalator 15k oil filter?

Our car uses the Fram XG6607. From what I understand no one offers anything beyond 15k miles in a filter for our car because it is such a small filter. Not even 25k Amsoil filters will go more that 15k as the Amsoil filter for my car is the 15k12, which cost much more than the Fram but does not last any longer.

Oils:
Mobil1 EP, AP (15k, 20K)
Castrol Edge EP [Gold bottle] (15K)
Royal Purple (12K)
Amsoil SS (25K)
Pennzoil Ultra (12K?) not specified

Filters:
Mobil 1 EP
Fram XG
Royal Purple
Purolator Boss
STP Extended Life

Thank you. I have been using Mobile One EP and the Fram XG filter for five 10k oil changes now. Our car is due for its 65k mile oil change. I asked this question so I can decide weither to keep doing what I am doing or to see what other brands offer at similar prices. So far nothing can touch the Walmart, Mobile One EP and Fram XG combo on price and easy to get convience.

Originally Posted by wemay
Oils:
Mobil1 EP, AP (15k, 20K)
Castrol Edge EP [Gold bottle] (15K)
Royal Purple (12K)
Amsoil SS (25K)

Filters:
Mobil 1 EP
Fram XG
Royal Purple
Purolator Boss
STP Extended Life

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal than you are already using, especially if you take advantage of the rebates on Mobil 1 as well.

STP makes a 15,000 Mile Oil Filter ( STP Maximum Life ) and a 10,000 Mile Oil Filter ( STP Extended Life ) ... Both are great, although I'd never go that long between oil changes... I do 6,000 mil OCI's..

Then keep using what you are already using
smile.gif

Other extended drain oils include Castrol Edge Gold, which claims the same 15k as M1 EP. Some Walmarts carry it.

Another extended drain filter is the Wix XP/Napa Platinum

Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
I am, I was just wondering who else offers the products? Does Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, etc? Does anyone elso offer extended drain other than Amsoil and Mobile One?

Sounds like you're already using an extended drain oil and an extended drain filter.

Some Amsoil product may be synthetic, most EXxon-Mobil M1 oils are not.

Please know I am not talking about performance per se - but more about base-oil costs and marketing costs that goes into formulating a true synthetic oil.

Last edited:
For filters there is Wix XP and Royal Purple. For oil, regular Royal Purple is only rated for 12k but I believe Royal Purple HPS is rated for 15k...

Pennzoil Ultra is specified by Pennzoil not to be used for extended oil change intervals. So it does not belong on the list.

Plain Mobil1 5w-30 (ILSAC GF5, ACEA A5/B5, Dexos 1 Gen 2) and any decent oil filter will go 10,000 miles.

Last edited:
I do not see that exact wording anywhere, including the PDS.

On the other hand , nowhere does it state that this oil is good for extended change intervals.

And they have to buy base stock from you know who and mark up happens …

Originally Posted by wdn

Pennzoil Ultra is specified by Pennzoil not to be used for extended oil change intervals. So it does not belong on the list.

Show me exactly where on this link below that it says that. I'll be waiting...

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-ultra-platinum.html

----------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by PimTac
I do not see that exact wording anywhere, including the PDS.

On the other hand , nowhere does it state that this oil is good for extended change intervals.

The reason i put a "?" behind the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back