Extended Drain Oils

Mobil extolls the virtues of their EP oils, and a lot of people use the product. There are a number of European oils that are designed to be used for extended drain intervals.
The Mobil oil has no European approvals that I could find, and some extended drain or Long Life European oils do have approvals.

So, would it be advantageous to use an extended drain oil with"approvals" over the, for lack of better phraseology, the more generic M1 oil, which only has two approvals, Dexos and a specific Hona application.? Of course, I'm interested in how that might work out for my Camry, but am really interested in many cars that tout 10,000-mile changes.
In Europe, with flexible service intervals and oil temperature sensor and among other things, there's an algorithm that allows oil changes to go up to 30,000 km (about 18,000 miles), using manufacturer approved oils.

Well if you buy it for 7500 maybe you should buy AFE that is good for 10 thousand miles. Overthinking things, if it is good for 20 K… Oil is a balancing act and there is a better oil for you IMO.

great point, however I have other issues as well.

for example, I believe only about one third of what manufacturers or marketing people say:
20000 divided by 3 = approx 6700 miles

if I buy a "10,000 miles" oil, then I will have to change it every 3500 miles. lol

great point, however I have other issues as well.

for example, I believe only about one third of what manufacturers or marketing people say:
20000 divided by 3 = approx 6700 miles

if I buy a "10,000 miles" oil, then I will have to change it every 3500 miles. lol
Hmmm…. I am on a 6 month OCI personally. I have not drank the 20,000 mile kool aid.

Oxidation and TBN are on a UOA…

Last edited: