Do You Use Amsoil? Why or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Amsoil has great products. But they are not worth the cost in my particular car.

Seriously? How do you know that given the limited information they provide about their products?

I briefly considered using their Amsoil Torque Drive ATF in my T56 transmission. Went with the GM fluid. Maybe next time around.

Always Amsoil ALL the time; have been using Amsoil products since mid 70's.

Yes I am also a dealer but I use nothing else in my vehicles.

I change my oil around Oct or Nov. just before it gets too cold to work outside and forget about it until the next year. I have never had a oil related problem. I do miss the air filters though.

I use Amsoil in some applications and have for years. I was initially sold on it by a friend who raced motorcross. He was able to reduce his engine rebuilds by a factor of 3 by using Amsoil 2 cycle oil. I always use their gear oil and transmission fluid. the oil is a different story: I use it in the winter for better low temperature flow (yes, even in my Sentra) ; and always in my boat. I cannot scientifically prove that it's better than other (yes cheaper) choices but it makes me feel better to use it. Yes, marketing at its finest. I spend 20-50k on a car/truck; and that much again on a boat. my recent engine build cost 5 figures. I really don't care how much the oil costs. yes, you will see Amsoil, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline VR1, and M1 in my garage. and only synthetic.

Last edited:
I don't use their motor oil as i find PUP/PP readily available for good prices. I do on the other hand use their manual transmission fluid. Great stuff.

I use their Euro oils in my old Mercedes cars. They have a 5W-40 Full-SAPS that my old MBs require, and have MB 229.5 Approval, so SN rating doesn't matter to me. My diesel MB needs the lower SAPS rating of 229.51, and they have a 5W-40 for that.
Some other companies do not offer 2 different oils for the different MB specs. LiquiMoly does, but I have to buy it online, and price is about the same as Amsoil.
Tried M1 in the 92, and it used a quart. Possibly due to the 0W cold weight? Anyways, it uses NO oil on LiquiMoly or Amsoil, which are 5W-40. M1 works just fine in the diesel, and will possibly use it in the Ford.

I have used Amsoil SS on my Ford at times because it has a TBN of 12.3 and NOACK of 5.3, and the Ford is driven in very cold weather, short trips, Plus, I don't go to Walmart, so have to make a special trip. My time is worth something.
Amsoil delivered to door. Recently they have offered free shipping for over $100.

So many good oils. M1, PP, etc. Just my preference to use Amsoil. Doesn't mean everything else is junk!
smile.gif

PopRivet said it best: price and availability.

I would have to order it online or seek out a dealer, neither of which is convenient. If they brought something unmatched to the table, then I might think about it but the value proposition is just not there.

What do I mean by value proposition? I can get a jug of M1EP and a FU filter for around $37 OTD and they are both proven at 15k mile OCIs. I just don't see the need to seek out an Amsoil dealer and pay more.

Do I believe Amsoil is good oil? Sure. Do I believe it is worth the trouble and expense? For ME the cost/benefit analysis doesn't work out.

I don't anymore.

A few years ago, I ordered a bunch of Amsoil fluids. No motor oil, but everything else for three different cars. The price was pretty good, due to whatever membership I signed up for at the time.

Overall, though, I can't find any info out there that makes me believe their products are better than anything else. I've switched to Redline for gear oil and ATF, and don't see any specific use for their products over any others.

The biggest reason I prefer Redline over Amsoil, for a few specific fluids, is Amsoil's multi level marketing. It's very irritating. (They also have vitamins now! http://www.altrumonline.com ) They're a bit culty for my taste.

Whats the point of using an expensive hard to get oil that may or maynot help your motor last for hundreds of thousands of miles, if the rest of the vehicle won't last long enough to make the same trip?.,,,

No.

I believe Amsoil makes some fine products, but I also believe other leading motor oils are also fine products. As others have mentioned, there are several real disadvantages to Amsoil.

First is limited availability.
Second is closely related to the first, but it is different, and that I totally don't like the marketing/distribution/retail (or whatever you want to call it) system. I know that someone will say that I can become a distributor. Why should I have to, just to buy motor oil?
Third, price. With the rebate that Mobil is offering, I can get a 5 quart jug of M1 for $25, even if I buy it at Autozone, which isn't one of the less expensive sources for motor oil, or for $17 at NAPA right now. What will 5 quarts of XL cost me? $44 + shipping from Amsoil. I know that someone is going to tell me that I can get it cheaper from a distributor, or set myself up as a distributor. But I shouldn't have to! Just give me a fair price!! Which brings me to:
Fourth, pricing structure. I don't want to pay an unfair price, but I don't want to track down a distributor!

The only advantage I can see to Amsoil is if you are willing to do 25k mile oil change intervals with their Signature product. But if you are going to put Signature in your engine and then get cold feet and change oil at 15k, then you just as well have saved a bundle and went with M1EP.

I've seen claims by some about how clean Amsoil keeps an engine. But I don't think that Amsoil is really any better than any other leading brand motor oil. Plus, there is no evidence that anyone has been able to give, that shows an engine on Amsoil will outlast, outperform, or have better economy, than an engine on any other leading synthetic.

There are plenty of documented cases of cars going well over 1,000,000 miles, including that guy that has driven over 3,000,000 miles in his Volvo, and a BMW that went over 1,000,000 miles on Mobil 1. Is Amsoil better than that?

If Amsoil was available through normal retail outlets for a competitive price, it would be in my oil stash alongside the Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple (that I picked up for $3/qt on closeout at Walmart). Until then, I'll drive my cars as long as I can stand to see them, with other leading brand motor oils in the crankcase.

I have no reason to believe Amsoil doesn't have a particularly good product. Actually, too good for many of my applications. My '67 and '85 Chevys, that see less than 7,500 mi. a year, are living the high life on Valvoline and Schaeffer's synthetic blends, and not at such a cost that I feel the need to run it 18 months or more just to get my money's worth. Many fellow Cruze owners are downright snobbish about Amsoil in the crankcase, but I'll only move up from Synpower to Ams if I get to racking up over 30K a year (averaging near exactly 25K/yr. so far) on my little 1.4T with a lot of highway driving, such that it makes no sense not to do extended drains. Currently the only thing of mine that's ever had Amsoil motor oil is my '72 Honda CL175 - having not been rebuilt, Castrol 4-stroke oil leaked pretty badly from a spot or two, but switching to Ams showed improvement in multiple ways. Since it spins at 7-8,000 RPM at road speeds, working near full load most of the time, and running the oil much over 1,000 mi. isn't recommended, I feel Amsoil is justified in it. That's for engine oils; gear oils are the only other product I've used so far, but it's a must-have in the Cruze's manual transmission and many owners report satisfactory performance and protection from the 5w30 synchromesh fluid. It's coming time for a diff. oil change in my '85 GMC (14 bolt, full-float) and since it's likely to log a few miles pulling our newly-acquired 30 ft. travel trailer, I'm leaning heavily toward Ams in that application.

JM2CW

I don't use it for the same reasons that you don't. Cost and availabilty. And also I have no reason to believe it is going to do anything better than the cheap and readily available oil dosn't. You're a dealer, and you don't use it based on availabiliy? How is that? How do you deal if its not available?

I
lol.gif
that people says it's not available. Really? As BITOGers we all watch our OCI, so it's very surprising to me that people aren't prepared to order a month or 1000 miles out from their planned oil change to get something delivered to their door! And that they wait until it's time to go and buy at the last minute -- how many times has someone here said, "I couldn't find my brand X oil after looking in 3 places I gave up and got brand Y".

I agree that Amsoil used to lead the pack, and that other oils have caught up. There might still be some slight advantage, especially for an extended drain, but even those are close.

I also miss the air filters!! Fantastic by any standards and cleanable/reusable for 100k miles or more. Too bad. Oil filters are very stout, synthetic media and good for at least 15k so good value there for a dollar or so more than FU.

In the past I used SS 0w30; living in Northern MT where temps got to -30°F for a few weeks in winter made that an easy choice. Now that I'm headed South a bit, I have been considering using the OE line of oils; at around $4 per quart they rival (nonsale) prices at WW and should be able to easily go 7500 miles if not more. But that'll be after using up my current stash of Schaeffer and getting some UOAs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Amsoil offers no benefit to me or my vehicles, regardless of cost.

It is also difficult to find, and carries no real certifications.

Very true and I understand it is no longer a real German standard group 4 full synthetic, or even a group 3 GTL base stock oil range.

About the only time it would make sense to use Amsoil is for extended OCI's or cleaning up a sludged block. The reason for that is it contains more Calcium based detergents than the other full synthetics.
One of their oils I looked at had 4K ppm, when Mobil 1 has about 3K ppm.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I
lol.gif
that people says it's not available. Really? As BITOGers we all watch our OCI, so it's very surprising to me that people aren't prepared to order a month or 1000 miles out from their planned oil change to get something delivered to their door! And that they wait until it's time to go and buy at the last minute -- how many times has someone here said, "I couldn't find my brand X oil after looking in 3 places I gave up and got brand Y".

I agree that Amsoil used to lead the pack, and that other oils have caught up. There might still be some slight advantage, especially for an extended drain, but even those are close.

I also miss the air filters!! Fantastic by any standards and cleanable/reusable for 100k miles or more. Too bad. Oil filters are very stout, synthetic media and good for at least 15k so good value there for a dollar or so more than FU.

In the past I used SS 0w30; living in Northern MT where temps got to -30°F for a few weeks in winter made that an easy choice. Now that I'm headed South a bit, I have been considering using the OE line of oils; at around $4 per quart they rival (nonsale) prices at WW and should be able to easily go 7500 miles if not more. But that'll be after using up my current stash of Schaeffer and getting some UOAs.

Hardy har... I don't need to plan or prepare for an oil change. I stop at walmart on my way home. Maybe pick up some tooth paste, and a gallon of milk while i'm there. Your planning and preparation sounds more difficult to me.

Thank you all for the input. I brought all of this up so I can figure out from real world people why they do not or would not use Amsoil. I will put the oil and quality issues aside for a moment. From reading the responses it is clear that folk either think Amsoil has quality or the other extreme that says "hey it is not any better than anything else". My issue with Amsoil is not in the products but with the Multi Level Marketing or MLM. All MLMs have similar ways in which they run and Amsoil is no different. A dealer can make money in many different ways. Selling retail, catalog sales, signing people up as a preferred customer, signing people up as a dealer, etc. This is how all MLMs work. A dealer signs up another dealer and the dealer gets a % cut from all the downline under them. Again this is not an Amsoil product issue. It is just the way all MLMs work. The money is made in signing dealers and preferred customers. You have to sell a huge amount of product to make money. Amsoil also has other companies that do other things. They have a health supplement division called Altrum. They have an agriculture line called Aggrand. They use to have a line called CAYL (Caring About Your Life) which sold lotions, body wash, shampoo, etc. With all of it being MLM based, everything thing they carry and offer is of course better and superior to ANYTHING that is offered. Amsoil puts down Mobil One and Pennzoil. Altrum puts down Centrum and One-A-Day. Aggrand says Miricle Gro is junk, etc and so forth. I will type this again....it is not that Amsoil is good or bad as far as product. As a dealer we are taught that Amsoil, Aggrand, Altrum is the best stuff on planet earth and that everything else is either not as good, costs more to use in the end, will cost you far more in the long run, or is just plain junk. That is how ALL MLMs work. Marry Kay does the same when compared to Cover Girl.
I was fresh out of high school when I signed up as a lifetime Amsoil dealer. I can still to this day twenty years later buy anything from any division wholesale. I do not do that however simply because I can now get a similar product at a local store for less money (even with my dealer pricing) while not having to buy a bigger amount to keep in stock to make it all worth while and cut shipping costs. As a dealer sure the products are available to me but they are only cost effective if I buy in bulk to cut shipping cost or drive an 8 hour round trip to a warehouse to avoid shipping. If I use say Mobile One Extended Performance and a Fram Synthetic filter I can simple buy it while at Wally's World getting cat food and Moo Juice. As mentioned above the reason someone gets hounded with phone calles and emails once you request a catalog is because your info was passed to a local dealer. That dealer wants your business. If he sells to you retail....he gets the difference in cost from wholesale to retail. If that dealer sets you up as a preferred customer then that dealer makes a % in commission off everything you buy......that is why they often will offer to pay you yearly member fee for you.....because they will get it back in commission. Again this is not a shady thing or an Amsoil thing. It is an MLM thing and how all MLMs work. You guys do not seem to use Amsoil for the same reasons that I as a dealer do not use it. Cost, high shipping, can not just walk in to XYZ store and get what you want, and the other reason that the competition has caught up by offering similar "high end" products......which you CAN get when you want them from a local store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back