Do You Use Amsoil? Why or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And even if a potential customer orders online or signs up as a PC, a dealer near them will get the cut, even though that dealer had nothing to do with a sale. And, of course, the dealer that is tied to that dealer gets a cut. Now that is pretty lame. I have no problem with a MLM deal if in fact there was work involved by a dealer in the chain to get a sale. But to tie in all the downline dealers from the company on down to the customer, when the customer had no interaction with the dealers and instead bought direct from Amsoil corporate is questionably ethical.

I use a few Amsoil niche products, but this kind of thing i mentioned keeps me from considering more of them. Gives the impression of most of what I spend for a product being tied up in other ways than the product itself. It leads to the vitriol that some express about Amsoils MLM game.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And even if a potential customer orders online or signs up as a PC, a dealer near them will get the cut, even though that dealer had nothing to do with a sale. And, of course, the dealer that is tied to that dealer gets a cut. Now that is pretty lame. I have no problem with a MLM deal if in fact there was work involved by a dealer in the chain to get a sale. But to tie in all the downline dealers from the company on down to the customer, when the customer had no interaction with the dealers and instead bought direct from Amsoil corporate is questionably ethical.

I use a few Amsoil niche products, but this kind of thing i mentioned keeps me from considering more of them. Gives the impression of most of what I spend for a product being tied up in other ways than the product itself. It leads to the vitriol that some express about Amsoils MLM game.

Simply not true. Yes a regional T-1 Certified dealer will get associated with any customers in his area IF that person doesn't signup with a particular dealer , but he won't get "get a cut" if that person signs up with another dealer. So the way you write it says two people - no. Just the one and nothing unethical about that. The closest best qualified dealer gets local sales, default mechanism if customer doesn't sign up with a dealer. Period.

Then you write "all dealers downline"? No again not true.

I read this thread and worst part are how many lies, half truths and misconceptions persist.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Amsoil offers no benefit to me or my vehicles, regardless of cost.

It is also difficult to find, and carries no real certifications.

Very true and I understand it is no longer a real German standard group 4 full synthetic, or even a group 3 GTL base stock oil range.

About the only time it would make sense to use Amsoil is for extended OCI's or cleaning up a sludged block. The reason for that is it contains more Calcium based detergents than the other full synthetics.
One of their oils I looked at had 4K ppm, when Mobil 1 has about 3K ppm.

Amsoil absolutely does have some certifications, so to say this "very true" just carries on a falsehood.

And of course the BITOG lie about base oils is repeated in the same post. Now Amsoil isn't even a Group III. Yes the OE and XL base oils are Group III and the SS oils are IV and V.

Please stop just posting things if you really don't know.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Very true and I understand it is no longer a real German standard group 4 full synthetic, or even a group 3 GTL base stock oil range.

About the only time it would make sense to use Amsoil is for extended OCI's or cleaning up a sludged block. The reason for that is it contains more Calcium based detergents than the other full synthetics.
One of their oils I looked at had 4K ppm, when Mobil 1 has about 3K ppm.

I was very interested in using Amsoil SS 5W30 in my FXT until I started to learn about LSPI in DIT engines and its likely link to calcium-based detergents in oil...that oil had a megaload of Ca. I am sticking with low calcium oils as a precaution, at least for now...too bad, because that SS looked great in every other respect. The price and lack of easy availability really didn't bother me too much.

Last edited:
The Amsoil dealer that signed me up twenty years a go is also my Direct Jobber. In my case they are one in the same. The person that signed me up these days has the Amsoil rank of Regency Silver Direct Jobber. In Amsoil and MLM speak he is pretty high on the ladder of MLM success. They are only a few steps away from going as high as you can go in Amsoil and their MLM business model. You make money buy signing up people under you. Sure you can sell products and stock items, whatever you want to do. The big money is made from signing up people under you. That can be another dealer, a preferred customer, a retail account, etc. Everything that happens under you......the dealer gets a cut. Sure I am over simplifying it but that is in reality how MLM works, any MLM. As an Amsoil dealer you can focus on the Amsoil line or if you are not into motor oil you can focus on the Altrum supplements line. If you are into farming you can focus on the Aggrand line, etc. Heck you can do it all if you want to. Every dealer has a number and that account number is associated with everything you do. You send a customer to a website....but not just any website. You send them to your website which is tied to you account number. You buy Amsoil and the dealer never having met you, seen you, etc gets paid. Again this is how all MLMs work.....so it is not a knock on Amsoil and the products that they offer.

Okay so, just to be clear:

I don't think anyone can say Amsoil DOESN'T have a higher-quality product than what you can buy off the shelf, or from other "boutique" formulators. For all we know, Amsoil's lubricants could be the greatest ever made.

The problem (if you want to call it that) is that there's no way for the average Joe to know. We have those Amsoil-published bench tests, but no thorough long-term test programs that compare Amsoil with the competition. Fair enough, given how hideously expensive that would be. But we're still left with little-to-no real data. A few of Amsoil's products carry third-party approvals, which is great for applications that require those approvals. But that doesn't suggest that those products are better than any other approved product. And if you don't care about third-party approvals, there's an ocean of non-approved products out there, and virtually no real facts to help you decide among them.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I don't think anyone can say Amsoil DOESN'T have a higher-quality product than what you can buy off the shelf, or from other "boutique" formulators. For all we know, Amsoil's lubricants could be the greatest ever made

Really? Based on what? How is it higher quality than say Pennzoil Platinum or M1 EP?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I don't think anyone can say Amsoil DOESN'T have a higher-quality product than what you can buy off the shelf, or from other "boutique" formulators. For all we know, Amsoil's lubricants could be the greatest ever made

Really? Based on what? How is it higher quality than say Pennzoil Platinum or M1 EP?

I think his point was that you can't tell one way or the other based on the information we have available.

Like you I have been an Amsoil dealer for twenty years now. Still am but only use a couple of specific products, the PI and transmission oil and that is about it. As you noted, the rest is just overpriced and too hard to get. Even when I lived in richmond (warehouse by the airport) it was still a hassle and then one can no longer just drop in and pick up product, one has to pre order it, not like I ever saw those employees killing themselves to fill orders and busting butt, but anyway.

Now with shipping just a killer to buy the product and so many good oils that do the job as well as huge price differences, always a rebate from Mobil, Pennzoil etc.

The other thing I hate is that they are trying to be everything to every possible market out there, from lawn equip to cycles to boating and lines that are too confusing, OE, XL, Signature. just produce the one line, signature but then no one wants to pay the price and no one goes 25,000 between changes.
Tough market and Amsoil is just overpriced.

My two cents

Is it good oil? Yes. Do we (our cars) actually NEED that much protection? No way! Too many cars over too many miles on much cheaper and easier to obtain oils. Amsoil has done a good marketing job that taps into the " more is better" way of American thinking.
I don't use it, too expensive, and too hard to get.why in the world would I want to plan out orders, or track down a dealer, only to pay more for what I can pick up at wally world? When I can get PPPP for $12 for 5 qt (w/ rebate), why in the world would I buy Amsoil. That is just one example, there's plenty more, and I'm sure most decent syns are overkill. Heck QSUD is only about $20 for 5 qt regularly now with prices of oil down!
I also don't like the Amway type of marketing Amsoil uses. Memberships, pyramid dealerships or whatever they use. Just my opinion. Good stuff quirky business model.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spector
Like you I have been an Amsoil dealer for twenty years now. Still am but only use a couple of specific products, the PI and transmission oil and that is about it. As you noted, the rest is just overpriced and too hard to get. Even when I lived in richmond (warehouse by the airport) it was still a hassle and then one can no longer just drop in and pick up product, one has to pre order it, not like I ever saw those employees killing themselves to fill orders and busting butt, but anyway.

Now with shipping just a killer to buy the product and so many good oils that do the job as well as huge price differences, always a rebate from Mobil, Pennzoil etc.

The other thing I hate is that they are trying to be everything to every possible market out there, from lawn equip to cycles to boating and lines that are too confusing, OE, XL, Signature. just produce the one line, signature but then no one wants to pay the price and no one goes 25,000 between changes.
Tough market and Amsoil is just overpriced.

My two cents

My dad lived a couple miles away from that Richmond warehouse as well. Back in the day you could just walk in and get what you wanted while paying cash just like an auto parts store. You can not do that now. I have often wondered what Amsoil actually makes and what is made by someone else but to their specs. What use to upset me about the MLM business model like you mention above is that Amsoil was/is trying to be all things to all people. So they add NGK spark plugs, a failed attempt at carrying Mothers products, Trico wiper blades, etc. The problem was is even at the dealer wholesale prices, most of those "add on" items were more expensive than they were at retail from an auto parts store. I can still go to Napa and buy a Napa branded Wix air filter for our car cheaper than I can buy it from Amsoil at dealer cost....forget the added shipping. LOL Again good oils and lubes but outdated MLM business model. I feel that the MLM business model has really hurt the company from getting the products out there where the people are. Amsoil has a quick lube program but I have never seen it. You know how you can find a Valvoline or Havoline, etc branded quick oil change place? Amsoil offers those as well to anyone who is rich enough to afford such a business. I have never seen one.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I think his point was that you can't tell one way or the other based on the information we have available.

Exactly. Thanks, QP.
thumbsup2.gif

Exactly. Thanks, QP.
thumbsup2.gif

All I was asking about was your statement "I don't think anyone can say Amsoil DOESN'T have a higher-quality product than what you can buy off the shelf". I wondered why (for example) an Amsoil product is "higher quality" than M1 EP.

I don't buy it simply because I can buy Red Line right off the shelf at a local independent NAPA.

All of the premium products are marvels of chemical engineering and are functional equivalents. Most of us use them in rather mundane conditions ; no Dubai taxi service or -30deg mountain treks, just commuting and errands so any one is fine. Current we use M1EP along because M1EP costs $3/Q after rebate, lasts 12-15K (which is conveniently 2x the factory OCI or maintenance minder programming), and I can buy it at my grocery store. Mobil has been the only producer where I've gotten rebates every time with no hassles.

Twenty years ago there might have been a difference.

Last edited:
Nope, never even thought about it. Seems to be a little bit of a hassle to get it, but I guess once you get a supplier it is easier.

For me, especially the past 15 years or so, I just buy oil when it is on sale. A $60 oil change would make me cringe. My last syn oil change (5w-20 PP and a Wix filter) cost me less than $10 total.
Plus I don't do extended drains nor drive any fancy vehicle.

I am sure Amsoil has it's place, just not with me.

Exactly. Thanks, QP.
thumbsup2.gif

All I was asking about was your statement "I don't think anyone can say Amsoil DOESN'T have a higher-quality product than what you can buy off the shelf". I wondered why (for example) an Amsoil product is "higher quality" than M1 EP.

He's not saying that Amsoil IS a higher quality oil than M1 EP. He's just saying: "I don't think anyone can say Amsoil DOESN'T have a higher-quality product than what you can buy off the shelf"

Meaning, that you can't say Amsoil isn't better. The flip side, of course, is that you can't say that M1 EP isn't better.

Exactly. Thanks, QP.
thumbsup2.gif

You're asking the wrong guy. I didn't say an Amsoil product is higher quality.

I was trying to distance myself from folks who say OTS products are better than Amsoil's products. That's just as spurious as saying Amsoil is better. As QP explained, there isn't enough info to say either way.

As I said, I stopped using Amsoil products a long time ago, and I don't see myself coming back any time soon. My brother's still using an Amsoil air filter, and that's the only application I can think of where Amsoil makes a product I'd rather use over other options. Where I part company with some of the people in this thread is that I'm not going to go around saying Amsoil is worse than the competition, because I just don't know.

Originally Posted By: OldEuroCarLover
Exactly. Thanks, QP.
thumbsup2.gif

He's not saying that Amsoil IS a higher quality oil than M1 EP. He's just saying: "I don't think anyone can say Amsoil DOESN'T have a higher-quality product than what you can buy off the shelf"

Meaning, that you can't say Amsoil isn't better. The flip side, of course, is that you can't say that M1 EP isn't better.

Beat me to it.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back