Do you prefer to carry an axe as a tool while travelling

i love going out for travelling i would like to know who would like to carry an axe as a tool in the car along with car maintenance tools ,especially while travelling or camping

Depends where I am traveling.

An axe is a useful tool for clearing downed trees when off road. Much smaller than a chainsaw and doesn’t require gasoline.

One of these takes up very little room. I have the forest axe.

Yes....when camping @seaside....it is useful to have it. It is handy to make splinters to set fire for a grill with it :)

An axe is a useful tool for clearing downed trees when off road. Much smaller than a chainsaw and doesn’t require gasoline.

Lol 100+ euros for an axe? You dont have feeling how to "handle" with money...

Lol 100+ euros for an axe? You dont have feeling how to "handle" with money...

Actually, I do.

I am happy to pay for a quality tool. Until you've held and used a hand-forged, quality axe, or a well-built hand plane, you don't know what you don't know.

Check out these: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/

I have several.

I've also restored some 100 year old Stanley planes. I have one on my workbench right now that I just got, and will restore. A no. 5 1/4 corrugated jack plane.

I prefer quality tools, whether they be for woodworking, car maintenance, or splitting wood.

As far as how I "handle with money" - I'm good. Thanks for your concern.

Ok I do agree with you regarding tools...
I am a hobby "mechanic" myself too....there is no such thing as proper/quality tool for a required job...

But an axe....the one for 15euros from a local "wallmart" would do the same job....seriously :)

I've got three Gransfors-Bruks axes. You have to believe me when I tell you there IS a difference. A big one.

The feel of the handle, taking and maintaining an edge, effectiveness in use. My splitting axe works beautifully, for example. It goes through logs in which mauls and cheap axes get stuck.

They're quality tools.

I wouldn't recommend a local walmart (made in China junk) socket wrench set for a serious mechanic. If you use an axe once in a while, and don't really know what you're doing, the 15 euro one will be fine.

But, I've split a lot of wood with an axe, and used my small forest axe to clear downed trees. There is a difference between the cheap tool and the quality tool. Everyone who has ever tried one of my axes says the same thing, "Wow! That axe is awesome! It works so much better than other axes I've used." That's quickly followed by "Hey, can I borrow your axe?" for the rest of the trip...

Swedish steel is some of the worlds best, those are high quality. I like! (y)
PS /yes I would have no problem paying the price if I wanted/needed one.

I keep a hatchet in the 4x4 truck. If I anticipate problems, like the trespassing Pennsylvania licensed ATV drivers dropping trees across my hunting access road in MD, as they so often do, I bring my Stihl or the Husqvarna.

as a matter of fact i do...I've got an old 2 1/2lb boys axe head on a 24" handle...lives between the seats...i encounter a fair amount of downed trees/branches on my commute.

Back