Do you prefer to carry an axe as a tool while travelling

I wouldn't recommend a local walmart (made in China junk) socket wrench set for a serious mechanic. If you use an axe once in a while, and don't really know what you're doing, the 15 euro one will be fine.

But, I've split a lot of wood with an axe, and used my small forest axe to clear downed trees. There is a difference between the cheap tool and the quality tool. Everyone who has ever tried one of my axes says the same thing, "Wow! That axe is awesome! It works so much better than other axes I've used." That's quickly followed by "Hey, can I borrow your axe?" for the rest of the trip...
True. Absolutely
The feel of the handle, taking and maintaining an edge, effectiveness in use. My splitting axe works beautifully, for example. It goes through logs in which mauls and cheap axes get stuck.
Don’t confuse the axe and the splitting maul. One big man with 8lbs Fiskars, for example, makes ten times more than you with your Gransfors

i love going out for travelling i would like to know who would like to carry an axe as a tool in the car along with car maintenance tools ,especially while travelling or camping
Only if I planned on cutting down a tree. An axe is much bigger than a hatchet which might be better to carry in a car.There are also multi use tools available that would perform multiple tasks that would be better suited to carry in the car.

Don’t confuse the axe and the splitting maul. One big man with 8lbs Fiskars, for example, makes ten times more than you with your Gransfors

Well, while we agree on quality, I must disagree on this point.

You don’t know big I am, or how hard I swing, so, the “big man” part of your argument is specious.

And I’ve blown through rounds in which mauls got stuck, in just one swing, using the Gransfors Bruks. So, no, the big man with an 8lb Fiskars doesn’t “make ten times more”.

In fact, he might be making considerably less because his tool is heavier, and less effective. A maul is distinguished from an axe not just by weight, but by the striking face for driving wedges. Some mauls are better than others.

I haven’t needed a maul, because I haven’t needed wedges to do the splitting. The axe takes care of knotty oak and other challenging tasks with incredible effectiveness. Which is really my point: a great tool is more effective than people imagine.

If I had a fireplace again, and was splitting wood often, I would consider getting the Gransfors Bruks splitting maul...just because...

Had a hatchet in my pickup … but carry a machete in the Jeep …
Hardly ever use an axe at home … electric and gas saws … maul to split

Always loved the “my grandfather’s axe” paradox
One guy at work had repaired another guys equipment so many times I explained they had reached that point.

Last edited:
1604670958523.gif

I haven’t ever carried an Axe with me anywhere lol. Usually just have hand tools with me. I’ve used an axe plenty of times at home but never found the need for it on the go. That axe is 30+ years old it’s one of the few tools my family owns that hasn’t been torn up by my brother in law lol 😆.

I have an Estwing axe as a part of my emergency kit.

You never know...
If it’s like the two Estwing hammers I have … must be a good bang for the buck …
I do have a continuous steel hatchet … but it’s just something I grabbed at Academy

The best place to buy the Gransfors Bruk axes seems to be LL Bean. Their prices are quite a bit less than Amazon, more than $50 less.

When I lived in Michigan UP I always had 5 gal of extra gas, a chainsaw, hatchet and two tow straps already connected. One to the hitch, the other to the front hooks and rolled up and put under the hood. I must have pulled out 10-15 vehicles over the years. I would usually get a case of beer for it!

Last edited:
Actually, I do.

I am happy to pay for a quality tool. Until you've held and used a hand-forged, quality axe, or a well-built hand plane, you don't know what you don't know.
Quality is quality, no arguing. And to pay for a quality tool that will be used hundreds or maybe thousands of times well worth it.

But for a tool that will only be used for emergencies that will be stored in your trunk.

Back