Do you prefer to carry an axe as a tool while travelling

We were recently in the wilderness on a dirt road, and got stuck by a tree across the road. Fortunately guy in front had a chainsaw and just enough gas to cut it in two places. I’m not sure an axe would have efficiently gotten through the tree, at least not quickly. It was maybe 12” diameter. Would have taken forever. I can’t see always bringing a chainsaw, but some sort of saw I think would be as/more useful.
I think if I we're going to carry an axe as an emergency item. I would probably pick a felling axe, in addition to a hatchet.

I think if I we're going to carry an axe as an emergency item. I would probably pick a felling axe, in addition to a hatchet.
Completely agree on the felling axe. If you need to get past a downed tree, it's all crosscut, not splitting along the grain. So, the shape of the felling axe is much better.

Before we got off on tangents, like how good a maul is at splitting, I think I mentioned that I throw my Gransfors Bruks Forest Axe in the back of the truck when I'm going to be off road. It's very light, compact, and, if I am stopped by a downed tree, requires no fuel or anything else. Not nearly as fast as a chainsaw, I get it, but 100% reliable and 100% ready in and of itself.

It looks like a small felling axe. It's also, by the way, what I have on hand when I'm using the chainsaw...just in case...

I wouldn't even know what category my axe falls in, except possibly HF junk. Been looking at axe heads shapes and can't really find it. seems like a cross between a felling axe, a maul and a roofing axe... Can make a pic if anyones interested...

One more thing I forgot to mention, and I haven't seen mentioned yet: recovery tracks.
These are useful if you get stuck in mud, ice, snow, etc. Many AWD and 4WD have a limited torque bias ratio so if one wheel has no friction, you're stuck. Slide a recovery track under that wheel and you're good to go. This has saved my bacon several times.

Trax, a recovery tow strap, basic tools, a jumpstart box, jumper cables, collapsible shovel, good first aid kit, duffel bag (with jacket, fleece, hat and gloves) - all in the truck.

i love going out for travelling i would like to know who would like to carry an axe as a tool in the car along with car maintenance tools ,especially while travelling or camping

Yes, I carry a medium sized axe in my Jeeps normally. But if going on remote, less traveled trails where downed trees blocking the way are more likely, I carry a 20v 10" battery powered chain saw. It weighs less than 10lbs and is relatively small, so it is a good insurance policy that doesn't cost much in terms of payload. I also have a winch, in case simply moving the obstructing tree is a better/easier option.

Completely agree on the felling axe. If you need to get past a downed tree, it's all crosscut, not splitting along the grain.
This.
I would carry a saw, some gloves, and a chain or rope if I'm going anywhere where I am expecting myself to clear the path for my vehicle.
I really love axes, but my experience has me now grabbing hand saws instead for their crosscut efficiency, quicker learning curve, and control.

Only when 4 wheeling. Hatchet or axe to get past smaller branches to the trunk (especially with evergreens), cross-cut saw to section it into dragable pieces, cut and drag just enough out of the way to continue up the trail. Unless I just bring my chainsaw...

When traveling in my longboat from Norway to Britain I consider an axe absolutely necessary equipment. It is the most versatile tool available for sacking monasteries. It is effective for killing large numbers of Saxon dogs. Sure, swords and bows and arrows can be used in raids, but nothing strikes terror in the hearts of an enemy army like a fine axe.

Chainsaws can be effective attached to the likes of Ash Williams (Army of Darkness, Evil Dead, etc.), but give me a berserker and an axe any day.

I would hate to end up in a situation where I am: Trapped in Time, Surrounded by Evil, Low on Gas!

A boomstick would help, though...

For those who don’t know the trivia/reference, I offer this poster...

02E41674-D591-423C-B689-91DA0E48BEB9.jpeg

hatchet in the trunk. likely will never need it, until that one time when it would come in handy.

Back