OBDeleven -- is it really a piece of junk?

After looking for an OBD scan tool for my Audi, OBDeleven seemed to fit the bill. Set up an account, bought some credits, and verified that it was not DOA.

However, upon attempting to actually use it, I've been greeted with nothing but repeated failures -- "Validation Failure" when connecting to the dongle, then login failures in the app, failure to login with a linked Apple Sign In account -- simply trying to use the tool turned into an IT project.

I'm aware that it requires an active internet connection to function. Nope, that's not it, still getting errors whether connected via wi-fi or cell service. No issues with any other apps or functions on two devices.

Reset account password. Can login into the site (at least when Cloudflare doesn't think I'm a DDOS attacker), but not through the app. Tried deleting and reinstalling the app on two different devices. No difference. Linked an Apple Sign-in account. Won't accept the credentials.

Dig a little deeper -- similar complaints, with mixed experiences. "Oh yeah, I stumbled into doing this and it worked fine afterward" kinds of responses not inspiring. Some queries simply unanswered.

I simply do not want to risk an unexpected technical support issue each time I try to use a tool, and compound the task I'm already trying to achieve.

Signs of a rickety back end were evident based on the website. Things like logging out really doesn't log one out. Logic gaps and functional loops when exploring various functions. Indications of patchwork operation behind the scenes, not a fully-developed, professional portal or back end.

TLDR -- I have no stomach for this kind of garbage UX when it involves tools. Requested an RMA, and will get a proper tool instead.

I have had OBDeleven for just over a year and it’s worked very well for me with different Audis and VWs of different vintages. I also have had VCDS for about 10 years and since getting OBDeleven have never needed or used VCDS.

unfortunate it’s not working for you but if I was in your shoes I’d be doing the same thing!

I've used an OBDeleven and now OBDeleven Pro since it came out. Zero issues. I mainly use VCDS, but use the OBD for fast stuff like code reading, service reset, live data etc. and keep it in the glovebox. I have heard of some communication issues with newer Audis and OBDeleven, but can't say for sure if it is a brand-wide issue.

I think you may have a faulty dongle. Don't know where you bought it, but I have had nothing but exemplary support from Deutsche Auto Parts where I purchased both of mine. Try another unit before giving up on it.

I'd dearly love to say that it worked for me.

But, short of creating another account, in which case I'd either lose the credits I've already purchased, or have to engage the company in Lithuania to have them transferred, I tried to clean the slate as much as possible.

I made sure to test the device before I needed to use it, a couple days ago. Upon connection, the first thing it did was download a firmware update, and after that was completed, some cursory peeks and pokes displayed no issues.

A couple days later, the app threw the error message, and subsequently would not under any circumstance accept any login. That's not a hardware failure, but a software failure. I know the app works without the hardware, because I downloaded and played with it before I even made the purchase. Even found a bug, whereby I was able to display the app selections without being connected to a device, simply by accessing that screen in a sort of backdoor, though the preferences screen. Tapping directly on the Apps button in the bottom menu does not allow such access, and demands to be connected first.

More bugs on their website, like I said. Choosing to log out from the account has no effect. The account screens and its functions are still accessible even after actively trying to log out.

Even the sales pages on the website, where one can explore the apps available for a particular model, are buggy as well. At first, I thought it was my imagination, and that there may be similar, but slightly different variations of certain apps, but there aren't. There was more than one app that was listed multiple times.

I don't code, but I have participated in pre-release testing programs, and know how to spot bugs, and file bug reports. I did not fall off the Luddite truck.

I can't unsee, or ignore what are some obvious issues, and the generally sloppy and unpolished behavior from the app and the site.

Given its purported functionality, I was prepared to tolerate the subscription/credit business model, as well as internet tethered nature of the device.

But I simply cannot tolerate being thwarted from proceeding with work due to the nature of such failures. It would have been even more infuriating if I had the vehicle off the ground and had started serious disassembly.

I have contacted support and await their response. It's easy to cruise along when nothing is amiss. But difficulties reveal the true nature and character of a company, in how they conduct business when things are amiss.

I've also hedged my bets and have ordered another scan tool. I have other things that need to be tended to before I leave for a trip in the near future, and need to get this squared way beforehand. I don't have the time nor luxury to allow it to turn into some drawn out process, and simply want to wash my hands of this mess.

Great that it works for others, but it does nothing for me.

LOL, it just keeps getting better.

I contacted company support through the web form, wrote a detailed message about the issues, and received a canned auto-response from a bot, with help articles about how to reset an account password to solve login issues. (Hint -- resetting my password is the very first step I tried).

Now, a couple days later, I receive another bot generated message saying that "It looks like your question has been resolved since we haven't received a response from you. Awesome! We'll go ahead and close your ticket unless you need anything else from us."

Umm, no, it hasn't been resolved, I've been waiting for a human response, but it's clear that no human has read my original submission, because it hasn't been even acknowledged that I've already provided everything they ask for, including my account, model number, and serial number.

FFS, are they kidding?

You guys who have never had problems should pray that you don't encounter any, because it's become crystal clear in my mind that this outfit is amateur hour.

Wow, you have really hit the wall with all the issues you're having. Concerning to see the level of customer service if this thing (or my account) decides to crap the bed. Well, I have VCDS as "back-up". It's not quite as 1 step as the OBDeleven is, but is more thorough when you do need to seriously use it. I hope thats the scan tool you decided to get. Ross-Tech is a top notch firm and has been doing this for many years.

VCDS is garbage lol, nobody’s bringing out the laptop to do the same stuff an autel can. it’s not your mom’s 99 jetta anymore

you either buy sub and get used to odis or you cry and complain when you can’t do what you need to do

VCDS is garbage lol, nobody’s bringing out the laptop to do the same stuff an autel can. it’s not your mom’s 99 jetta anymore

you either buy sub and get used to odis or you cry and complain when you can’t do what you need to do
Or you borrow the vcds laptop from your grandpa, who borrowed it from your dad 10 years ago.

Or you get vcds and just have to wait 3 weeks for it to finish downloading.

Wow, you have really hit the wall with all the issues you're having. Concerning to see the level of customer service if this thing (or my account) decides to crap the bed. Well, I have VCDS as "back-up". It's not quite as 1 step as the OBDeleven is, but is more thorough when you do need to seriously use it. I hope thats the scan tool you decided to get. Ross-Tech is a top notch firm and has been doing this for many years.

Like I said in the original topic asking for recommendations for a VAG scan tool, I really don't harbor the need, or necessarily want something that will do more than push the necessary virtual buttons needed to perform some of the regular maintenance tasks.

However, given the chorus of users, and the possible capability to do more complex coding, I elected for OBDeleven, despite my distaste for business models like it has adopted. As long as it did what it promised, I could tolerate that, and the nature of a tool does not have a perpetual license, and is at the mercy of an active connection to merely function.

But, my UX as it turned out, has been quite different, with the first failure being functional, and the second being support. Not what I desired, but what transpired, and I'm not going to shy away from telling that story. Given how it has handled issues with credential validation, I can't help but question how competent it would be at performing the functions it is actually tasked to do. Confidence level? Not high.

At this point, I've moved on, and my only goal is to see that the RMA is approved, so I can wash my hands of the product, even if it means taking a credit with the vendor and eating the cost of the useless credits I've purchased, but won't ever need.

Or you borrow the vcds laptop from your grandpa, who borrowed it from your dad 10 years ago.

Or you get vcds and just have to wait 3 weeks for it to finish downloading.
Erm ................. downloading what exactly?

VCDS installer is around 70M (needed about twice a year IF you feel like having the latest version and it takes you about 3 seconds) - so what else are you doing/requiring that I am unaware of?

Like I said in the original topic asking for recommendations for a VAG scan tool, I really don't harbor the need, or necessarily want something that will do more than push the necessary virtual buttons needed to perform some of the regular maintenance tasks.

However, given the chorus of users, and the possible capability to do more complex coding, I elected for OBDeleven, despite my distaste for business models like it has adopted. As long as it did what it promised, I could tolerate that, and the nature of a tool does not have a perpetual license, and is at the mercy of an active connection to merely function.

But, my UX as it turned out, has been quite different, with the first failure being functional, and the second being support. Not what I desired, but what transpired, and I'm not going to shy away from telling that story. Given how it has handled issues with credential validation, I can't help but question how competent it would be at performing the functions it is actually tasked to do. Confidence level? Not high.

At this point, I've moved on, and my only goal is to see that the RMA is approved, so I can wash my hands of the product, even if it means taking a credit with the vendor and eating the cost of the useless credits I've purchased, but won't ever need.
I would go for the Autel AP200(white) - yes brand specific but then so is OBDII and VCDS........................

and you get a standard OBD scanner on all brands

Erm ................. downloading what exactly?

VCDS installer is around 70M (needed about twice a year IF you feel like having the latest version and it takes you about 3 seconds) - so what else are you doing/requiring that I am unaware of?
Oh sorry I was thinking of ista (bmw software)
90 gb download and then it has to extract the files. It ends up about 200gb.
Our Internet is also slow

It used to be good and then the company just made everything a paid feature and mostly killed it. Still good for things like watching some basic live data. VCDS is what you want

Back