Shade Tree Mechanics & Tools

So this thread is aimed at shade tree mechanics, not pros getting paid for their work in a shop.

How does one know when one has become a "Tool Collector" (a hobby collecting tools like someone who collects Lionel trains) vs one who buys tools as needed, upgrades some from time to time (replacing Chinese HF tools with some Craftsman or Wright tools).

I recently bought a set of SAE and Metric thin wrenches as I know I need one thin wrench to get off a battery cable on a bow thruster in the fall (did not happen) or soring. Unsure of the exact size I need and so I bought a set for SAE and Metric. But I have not come across too many situations of needing a thin wrench in 55 years of working on cars (70 now, maybe started at 15).

Wife asks how many different kinds of 1/2" wrench does one need? I smile and say "many".

Obviously it's best to have the tool when you need it vs having to buy or order it when you need it.

Hand tools don't take up much space. I buy special tools as needed and then generally keep them unless they were especially cheap or especially large. I have a toolbox of mostly old hand tools - SAE - under my workbench. I pull them out on occasion.

Tools that take up space I sell. I renovated our old house. When I was done I got rid of a lot of the specialty tools I knew I wouldn't be using again, if ever.

It depends a lot on how much space you have. If I only had a 1 car garage I can see getting rid of a lot more.

Men have an innate instinct to fix things. The mere thought of "whoa I can do that with THAT??" makes it irresistible, either pleasing yourself or someone else.

I thought I had a too many tools problem, but then figured out I needed THREE sets of tools. Not necessarily complete, but two locations, plus a mobile set.

I got rid of old duplicate tools easy by inviting my cousin over and saying "you can have whatever you want but some things I might like, so ask before taking." 98% of the time it was "take it." He filled his trunk to the brim, and a bit in the back seat. It was a win-win because I have more space now.

Yesterday I bought a 2 5/8 OTC Wheel bearing locknut socket, a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter, and ANOTHER adjustable wrench to tighten a 10k hitch ball. Maybe I could have done it with two adjustable wrenches, but I left them all at the other location. :LOL:

I tell my wife and adult children, if you want gift idea for me, anything with Craftsman on it is perfect. Yes there are repeats but: a set of tools in the garage, the truck, the boat, and the shed out back. There’s always a place and situation they’ll be used.

I have enough hand tools that I keep 5 tool boxes. I sometimes go to a business that has a rental shop with vehicle lifts and work there so my tools need to be mobile.

One toolbox contains screw drivers and other “pointy” things. One has pliers and any tool that has two handles, one has my 1981craftsman metric socket set, and metric combination wrenches, one has my SAE combination wrenches including a set of Westward wrenches that date back to the 60’s that have been in my family. The 5 th one has specialty tools that don’t really fit the other categories. I also have a Mastercraft metric and SAE socket set with a well organized plastic case. Still, I feel I need them all.

Last edited:
My grandfather is a tool hoarder, since he goes to yard sales and has 10 of every wrench size "because it was a good deal" haha. I run a small engine side business, but most of my wrenching is on my own stuff or projects around the house. I pick up most of my tools used on ebay, or yard sales (probably get that from grandpa). The older used SK and Craftsman stuff is cheap, and better quality than Harbor Freight, but honestly the Harbor Freight stuff is just fine for most uses.

I don't think one can really have too many tools, unless like my grandpa you spend too much time sorting through drawers that have all of the same stuff in order to find what you need.

Reactions: JC1
I have too many wrenches in the drawers of my Craftsman tool chest and the drawer slides are coming apart. I need to sort them and move some to another tool chest to save the cabinet. You just can't have too many tools when you have sons.

I have Snap on tools, brand new, never used. I think once that happens, it’s collector status.

One of these tools did come in handy and went into use having never been used before. It was a 3/8 100 tooth swivel head and suddenly it did the trick on a water pump job.

My daily driver is a S936, and I have 3 of them. Again why 3….collector I guess. Got them in the $40 range used….

Since you are doing your own repair work, buy the tools you need to do the job right. I have some tools i've only used once, but I still saved money and still have the tool for a potential future repair. Specialty wrenches and sockets are still cheaper than a dealer repair!
To your example, I was faced with a $4,200 ABS pump failure. I DIY’d and even wasted $180 on dealer software (eBay). But the DIY came in under $500 so it was ok…got some cool S-K line wrenches and a telescoping magnet too 😂

I consider collector status to be something you don't need and probably won't ever use. If you use it, then I wouldn't consider it just collecting.

Unfortunately, sometimes you only need a tool once, but you absolutely have to have it to complete a certain job.

The best jobs are those that require a tool purchase!

I do try to be reasonable on cost/quality. I don't know that I own anything tool-wise that is "best in class".

As much as I enjoy accumulating tools, I wouldn't consider it collecting.

Back