Icon obstruction boxend wrench

I have a set of obstruction box end wrenches that are old crappy HF ones.

Would like better ones. The HF Icon ones are $55. Do not see any Craftsman or Wright Tools obstruction wrenches.

Unsure if my old HF set is the same as the Pittsburgh set at HF for $17.

I do not use and obstruction wrench that often but handy when you need one

Bottom line is the Icon ones at HF seem overpriced unless they are equal to USA made Craftsman. General quality of Icon vs Craftsman I mean.

I have bought a lot of Icon stuff and have to say their quality if excellent. I have heard rumors that some of their designs or tools are expired snap-on designs. Don't know how true that is.

I have some of their long reach ratcheting wrenches, some 3/8 and 1/4 ratchets. I would say their quality is equal to if not better than Craftsman.

If by obstruction box end, you mean offset box end, I’ve got a set of Stahlwille (shown in the middle) and some stubby S-K (on the lower right).

If by obstruction, you mean the half moon like the top right, again, Stahlwille.

Stahlwill makes excellent wenches. Slim, light, and strong. The Tekton in the picture are inexpensive but they’re thicker, heavier, wrenches and there are places where a Stahlwille will fit that a cheaper wrench will not.

86F7E304-B724-4672-99AF-50E92EF23745.jpeg

If by obstruction box end, you mean offset box end, I’ve got a set of Stahlwille (shown in the middle) and some stubby S-K (on the lower right).

If by obstruction, you mean the half moon like the top right, again, Stahlwille.

Stahlwill makes excellent wenches. Slim, light, and strong. The Tekton in the picture are inexpensive but they’re thicker, heavier, wrenches and there are places where a Stahlwille will fit that a cheaper wrench will not.

View attachment 136175
The Stahwille are not sold in a set but would be around $300 for a metric set. Then an SAE set. I thought the Icon was too pricey at $55.

The Stahwille are not sold in a set but would be around $300 for a metric set. Then an SAE set. I thought the Icon was too pricey at $55.
I checked for the Stahwille in sets as well, no cigar. I might give the Icon metric set a try, next time they offer a coupon that is applicable.

The reviews on Amazon are a mix of "good" and "OK".
I can't speak to the Sunex half moon wrench quality specifically, but I noticed that nearly all Sunex sets on Amazon have several reviews mentioning QC problems. This includes the stubby combination renches that I bought; I could always return them if they were defective. However, the set I recweived was perfect and they work well. YMMV

Reactions: D60
The Icon seems like the best buy in this situation. I would normally suggest Tekton as being the best bang for the buck but a quick Google didn’t yield any results.

I can't speak to the Sunex half moon wrench quality specifically, but I noticed that nearly all Sunex sets on Amazon have several reviews mentioning QC problems. This includes the stubby combination renches that I bought; I could always return them if they were defective. However, the set I recweived was perfect and they work well. YMMV
I got all of mine on Warehouse Deals. Risk is low because returns are easy, but I didn't spot any QC issues and they didn't appear pre-owned/used

That said, I rarely use these types of wrenches so I don't have enough data/experience to say if they slip or fit poorly, etc

I also have some of the "S" shaped ones because they were inexpensive on AWD

The reviews on Amazon are a mix of "good" and "OK".
I’ve been running a set of Sunex basic combination wrenches for several years. My biggest complaint is the chrome is terrible on the open end. Most of mine are flaking or peeling. My stubbies have been good but don’t get used much. Chrome is intact on those.

Back