I put socket rails in my toolbox tray

After a very long time of random sockets that I accumulated over the years, adapters, and so fourth started to pile the top tray of my portable mechanic shop tool box that has done pretty much every job possible besides full rebuilds of an engine or transmission it was time for some socket rails put on it.

This is a craftsman toolbox from the mid 1990s and has done a great job of holding stuff and surviving 2 car crashes. I have a great assortment of tools in this toolbox and keep it in the trunk. at one point in the bottom I had a oil pump along with numerous hoses for flushing transmissions which I need to put back in the toolbox. It holds a socket set along with many sockets and a small breaker bar (good old aluminum pipe). No need for wrenches in this toolbox, I have like 3 adjustable wrenches (Saves a lot of space)

I forgot to mention: Originally it was only for working on Volkswagens since that is the only car I operate frequently.

I installed them by drilling holes and then using the tractor supply tap set I bought a year or two ago. doesn't hold the taps right. The rails are from harbor freight which were a dollar and some change each. Installed 3 , have 2 left over. They are OK socket rails, should be reliable enough for the next couple years I would say.

IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG

Back