Shade Tree Mechanics & Tools

For 50 years I bought whatever tools or equipment I needed to get the job done and learn. I have more tools than I need now, but I can do anything I want with the tool on hand now. Still will buy something as needed.

I have what I would call a reasonable amount of tools,owning a home,two cars,lawn mower,lawn tractor,utility trailer,snow blowers and a woodshop full of machines takes a variety.I for instance last spring got a new lawn tractor which was Metric.I visualized the tools I would need to work on it,that was the time to evaluate and upgrade if needed.And good quality,the right tool for the job makes for me,wrenching fun

I have many tools in duplicate (because sometimes you need to use two, or if one actually breaks you have another).

I tend to need ratchets of a certain type for jobs, so having only a couple of those doesn’t work for me. I have fixed head, flex head, short, medium and long handled. I prefer soft grip but use the no grip ones occasionally.

I just bought a long, fixed head 1/4 drive because I have small fasteners in places a fixed head is best. Adapters on a 3/8 wouldn’t fit. I went with Capri because it won’t see a lot of regular use.

But I just laid out the cash yesterday for a long fixed head 3/8 Snap on ratchet (my first Snap on ratchet😁) because I had long Icon versions but they’re flex head. Again, flex head isn’t always the best option. It will be used with my Williams, Teng and even Icon sockets (heresy, I know). 🤣

Back in around 2003 I purchased a complete set of Metrinch. It was the best set I ever purchased. Back then some cars were a mix of SAE and Metric bolts. This set worked on both...It would grip the walls of the bolt so even a rounded edge bolt would come out. I still have the set today and is my go to set when working on my car....

The amount of money I've saved by making tool purchases vs hiring someone has more than likely covered the cost of them by quite a bit, especially since buying the house in 2001. DIY oil changes and basic maintenance on vehicles (since 2001), demo of an old shed and hauling it to the dump, demo of a bathroom down to the studs...these alone probably cover the costs of tools.

The amount of money I've saved by making tool purchases vs hiring someone has more than likely covered the cost of them by quite a bit, especially since buying the house in 2001. DIY oil changes and basic maintenance on vehicles (since 2001), demo of an old shed and hauling it to the dump, demo of a bathroom down to the studs...these alone probably cover the costs of tools.
Anytime you want reassurance - hire someone to do these things …

Tools ?
If you do any sort of work that requires them either as a job or just DIY, you will find that they are just like having shop space.
There is never too much of it. And if you had every tool that say a place like Snap on has, you still won't have the right tool for the job at some point in time. Anyone that has made special tools will understand.

Collecting, in this context, is when you buy tools that you have no intention of using. I have bought a lot of tools. Every one of them was intended to help me do work. They are bought to be used.
I have bought tools, that I "might " need.
Meaning I don't have a need, but want to have it on hand In case I need it.
I do work on my son's and a very few friends cars.
I guess that still falls under collecting

Back