Want to buy a chainsaw

I do want to thank all of you that pointed out safety, I will try to re-educate myself. I believe I saw a documentary about loggers when I was a kid, I thought I had it all down :cool:

And you think the absolute bottom of the barrel (Walmart store brand, harbor freight, etc) corded ones are going to be any better?!?

Cordless tools are now pro tools. For most every segment except OPE. But for the casual user, even for one they’ll work.

Corded low end tools will be the cheap ones.

Makita does make a corded saw. If you’re set on a corded one, I’d probably look at that one first, then move downmarket to B&D or whatnot.
I just looked at prices for cordless chainsaws ... wow; I would rather get a gas one at $300.

I have a couple a trees I want to cut, another couple to trim. I started on one with shovel, pick axe, trowel, axe, hatchet - the works, but even my wife eventually said I should buy some kind of power tool (and that is saying something :ROFLMAO:). The ones I want to cut are near a fence, behind a retaining wall and I want them dead for good :)
While I would like to own a gas chainsaw (for clearing trees on remote roads - when needed), I estimate it would only sit, dry rot seals and won't even start when needed.
So I started looking at corded chainsaws like:

I would appreciate recommendations, and even pointing out junk (with the reasoning please).

edit: I don't want plastic gears for example.

Ego 18” is a beast.

Just buy a cheaper gas powered one and some canned 50:1 fuel. If you use the canned ethanol free fuel you won't have any issues.

I recommend an Echo 14" saw, like a CS-310. Very easy to start and operate, very reliable, powerful enough to still be useful on small trees. For fuel I recommend the Echo Red Armor 50:1 or VP Racing 50:1 canned fuel.

I work part time as a tech in a non dealer saw shop. For your application in gas, Echo is the most bang for the buck. Had a customer bring in a Greenworx 80v that had thrown and damaged the chain. I made a new chain, installed it and took it out to the test log. I was shocked at how well it did. Don't know how long it would run but I buried the bar and it didn't run out of power. My wife went Hazzard Fraught Atlas cordless tools, I am very impressed with the pole saw. I wouldn't want to cut commercially with it but for homeowner use it is great. The Atlas blower is pretty good too, just stay away from the weedie.

I just looked at prices for cordless chainsaws ... wow; I would rather get a gas one at $300.
It seems like you don't have any cordless? If you do, continue with the platform and buy tool only, no batteries needed.

My neighbor just today hired a tree service, storm cleanup. Limbs only with lots of climbing, used a Milwaukee cordless, easy job. He said for small jobs, his go to tool.

Last edited:
I have an Echo CS590 with an 18" bar. Previous home was on 5 acres with 2 of it being wooded and it got some use. It was an overkill purchase, more saw than I needed and it's heavier than I care for. Don't buy more than you need.

It seems like you don't have any cordless? If you do, continue with the platform and buy tool only, no batteries needed.

My neighbor just today hired a tree service, storm cleanup. Limbs only with lots of climbing, used a Milwaukee cordless, easy job. He said for small jobs, his go to tool.
Thing is, tree services are $$$. Very $$$. They essentially can ask a blank check. There’s risk and liability and everything else. So it is worth it to diy if you can get in front of it.

Like several members said...safety first. Of the corded electric chainsaws that you listed, the Oregon saw is pretty good. I'd only rate the $250 Makita corded chainsaw above it. But before buying anything, you have to assess the largest tree(s) that you need to drop and the frequency/location(s) that you will use the saw going forward.

For a newbie, I don't think you would want a saw larger than a 16"-18" bar. My personal recommendation is the Echo CS-400-18 which sells for $319 at Home Depot. You'll probably never need to buy another saw again.

If you only need to cut down 3 or 4 small trees, I suggest just renting a 16" Makita gas chainsaw from Home Depot for a day.

Last edited:
I thought from this forum Echo was the way to go for casual homeowner use? I have been eying them for a while. Has that opinion changed?
The CS-590 is still the absolute goat home and farm saw if you want a gas chainsaw. It's been tops for years.

There's nothing wrong with wanting an electric chainsaw like OP does, though.

I have a small corded electric chainsaw that I really like but it has one very big drawback and that is the cord itself. Its always in the wrong place waiting to trip you or getting tangled in the branches as you try to limb the down tree or branches are landing on top of the cord and you have to stop and move everything to free the cord. The gas saw is much more maneuverable but if you want it to last a long time you have to spend time putting it away like draining all the gas and fogging the cylinder and emptying the bar oil unless you know your going to use it again in a few days but the time you forget and dont use it might be the last time you get it started. Echo is much more forgiving of occasional use than Sthil. If you run a Sthil everyday it will last almost forever but let one sit for a year and good luck getting it started again. I really want to get a battery powered one but they are heavy for the power and if you dont have other cordless OPE that take the same batteries you will have as much in spares as a gas saw costs and you will need at least 1 big spare because the kits usually come with a small to medium capacity battery and when it dies you get to wait between 2 and 4 hrs for it to charge.

Ego 18” is a beast.
I bought an EGo 16” on the authorization from my parents - it’s nice. Didn’t want to get the Milwaukee M18 Fuel, else I would have needed to get M18 XC High Demand 5/8Ah batteries. Considered the Ryobi equivalent. Not as “powerful” as a trashed Echo CS-346 it replaced but not having to worry about a carb is worth it.

The Stihl MS170 is a highly regarded entry level saw. Google shows different results on what the Husqvarna rival would be. Perhaps the 120?

I have used chainsaws for many years and own all types mentioned here - for the small but serious amount of work you have - I’d do plug in electric (good prices) - people underestimate what those can cut with a good blade - and being able to hear the load on the motor is your friend if this is your first saw … Some of the PPE like leggings can be expensive - (have used stingray leggings, better than nothing) but gloves and eye protection are a minimum …

Back