Turning point

I cannot get too far into it as there are many different ways to look at this. I will admit my admiration to small engines and 2 strokes in general I can agree battery makes a ton of sense for some people. I have friends that have no business owning 2 stroke or any gas powered yard tools, but I cannot rest knowing the all the retailers / big govmnt are clearing the shelves and jamming this new e - waste down our throats. I want a choice.
Same, for me it is about having a choice. One size simply doesn't fit all, especially out in the country where nobody has postage stamp sized yards. I have some small engine customers that kept their gas mower, but went to battery for their smaller tools and it has worked perfectly for them. They have small yards, and are getting older so mixing gas is more annoying for them.

I maintain 3 acres, there is no way electric equipment will do that without being extremely expensive and a pain to deal with. My grandfather has 25 acres to maintain.

Electric has its place. Small yards in neighborhoods. Quiet, no need to store fuel, no oil to mix or change. My son has that scenario, I recommended batt equipment, ego serves him well.

I tried a battery trimmer, Ryobi, as my older expand-it attachments fit. The polesaw attachment works great as it has more torque at the touch of a trigger.

The downside, I have to much area. Brush head kills the battery , so back to gas I went with a commercial echo trimmer. I have way way too many leaves for a battery blower, so an echo 9010 for the bill.

Chainsaws for me have to be 2 stroke, more run time, and frequently their use is during power outages.
If you have a small yard and don’t want to mess with gas, then use a reel mower. I use one on a fairly large swatch of grass where I don’t want to mess with gas.

On really small properties a battery trimmer may be good. The alternative is manual clippers.

I have a battery leaf blower to dry my cars. It’s good for that. Lighter than my gas two stroke handheld. Even in my smallish suburban yard, the husquvarna backpack is a major time saver and improvement.

Cordless definitely has its place. Blowers and string trimmers still seem reasonably priced and make sense when they only need to be used a few minutes.

Mowers are still expensive.. almost seems like a fad or bragging right. A co worker bought an Ego zero turn that can hardly mow his entire yard. I think they are pushing 8k. No thanks. Decent push mowers are 750-1000. Ouch.

Cordless definitely has its place. Blowers and string trimmers still seem reasonably priced and make sense when they only need to be used a few minutes.

Mowers are still expensive.. almost seems like a fad or bragging right. A co worker bought an Ego zero turn that can hardly mow his entire yard. I think they are pushing 8k. No thanks. Decent push mowers are 750-1000. Ouch.
A battery powered zero turn for $8k!?! That seems really crazy to me.

I make no secret about it, I love my 60V Toro mower. Despite its run-time shortcoming.

Something to keep in mind, if you get very high quality hand tools that all use the same battery, as the mower, the battery will provide it's maximum for you, with regard to cycles and calendar life. Your expense may be limited to a new battery every 8-10 years.

Put another way, it could, in the end actually cost less than the 10-20 year life of a fleet of engine powered OPE.

But I don't see the sense in using batteries to mow 5 or 15 acres.

Back