Decent dinner in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nice friend coming to New York, can you recomend a nice place for dinner, well yes I live around here, but, we'll be 3, and I don't want my wallet to cry
500 bucks is ok, no more than that, opinions please

Lugers in Great Neck

Peter Lugers
255 Northern Blvd.
Great Neck Ny 11021
516-487-8800

Also in N.Y.C. Smith and Wollensky
They are on 3rd ave. Also great food it will be a little more than $300.00 last time i was there it cost me $590.00 for 5 people but well worth it.

I always like to visit any of the Joe's Shanghai restaurants around NYC when I'm there, and the prices aren't crazy.
Looks like the one in Queens might not be too far from you, although it might not be a great place to park if you wanted to drive.
Soup dumplings are a specialty there and I never miss them...the key is to put the dumpling in a ceramic spoon, bite the top off, and slurp some of the broth out so you don't burn the crud out of you mouth as you probably would if you just bit into the thing whole.
You will probably have to share a table when it's busy, but that's part of the fun for me...you can end up sitting with some really interesting folks you would never have talked to, otherwise.
If you want a quiet place to chat, go at an off hour or pick someplace else. Probably aren't going to get fancy cocktails there, either, if you had that in mind.

I rarely eat in NYC because of the hassle and the cost but I have eaten great Italian food at Carmine's on the upper west side. Unless you go crazy with wine or other alcohol you and 2 others should be able to dine well for half of what your willing to spend. (in other words $250....which would probably include the tip).

There are several locations in NYC....one in the Theatre District....but I've only eaten at the one located
at 2450 Broadway.

https://www.seamless.com/menu/carmines-upper-west-side-2450-broadway--new-york/294727

Originally Posted By: pbm
I rarely eat in NYC because of the hassle and the cost but I have eaten great Italian food at Carmine's on the upper west side. Unless you go crazy with wine or other alcohol you and 2 others should be able to dine well for half of what your willing to spend. (in other words $250).

x2 for Carmines. Not that expensive, Family style dining, so you share the dishes served. Very nice atmosphere.

NYC is so big a neighborhood approximation really is necessary.
On the West Side:
Da Tomaso on 8th Ave. bet 53rd and 54th Sts. is nice without being too expensive. Is it OK to have money left over?

West Village:
Blue Hill Restaurant. (the old Blue Mill is now gone and I'm in mourning)

Kips Bay (East Side in the 30's):
Marchi's

Tout av Bien is good too.

Want a good, friendly burger and fries in a great bar?
Go to McKenna's on 14th and 8th

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
What am i missing here?

$500 is an ok price for 3 people to eat?

Should be able to get a terrific meal for $50 per person.

I have no idea where Freeport is and I doubt 95% of American do know. But if I'm in NYC, I go into Little Italy for superb Italian. It's never cost me above $50.

Last edited:
To me dinner is at noon, so I would recommend a prixe fix lunch from somewhere like Le Bernardin where for $45 you can get a 3-course meal with several selections for each course.
If you want a burger, then The Spotted Pig probably has their Michelin star due to the burger (supper only).
Like said above, what kind of cuisine? Formal or informal setting? What area of NYC?
You can go on a couple sites like to Eater.com or SeriousEats.com to get some good ideas as well.

When I frequently went into NYC in the 1980's and 1990's the Carnegie Deli was often on my list (lunch or dinner). Haven't been there since 2003 though.

Where in New York? Even if in the city (my assumption), that's a lot of ground to cover.

For steaks, Peter Luger (over the Wlmbg. Br) or Sammy's Romanian (which is Romanian/Jewish comfort food but has really good meat and a festive environment). Both will likely need reservations in advance.

For Italian, some of my favorites are: Ecco (Tribeca), Il Melograno in [censored]'s Kitchen, lowest key is the Meatball Shop, which has multiple locations, but I like the one in Chelsea. I also really like Trattoria Dell'Arte, in the Theater District. I heat their food is really good, but what Ive been there for is their great vegetable antipasto table and the braised octopus before or after an event (watch the crowds, others have the same idea)

For French, I like Les Halles in the Financial District.

For low-key Mexican, I like Lupe's East LA Kitchen in Soho.

Black Iron Burger near Penn Station is really good for burgers and beer.

Ive eaten at all these places multiple times. Ive gone to a ton of other places too, but these are my favorite.

If youre not in NYC, but rather out on Long Island, there's great Turkish out around exit 62 on 495. Also in Port Jeff or around there, is a restaurant called Sea Basin, I think their Fra Diablo is some of the best Ive had...

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
What am i missing here?

$500 is an ok price for 3 people to eat?

Some people can afford that kind of fancy meal.

Carnegie Deli is closing (if not closed), waiting lines were 2 hours last week.

Chinatown is your best bet. 2 lobsters $24. steamed live fish $28.

why eat what you can get anywhere in the US (steak, pizza, Italian, Spanish, French,...)

Originally Posted By: Californiabob
Carnegie Deli is closing (if not closed), waiting lines were 2 hours last week.

Chinatown is your best bet. 2 lobsters $24. steamed live fish $28.

why eat what you can get anywhere in the US (steak, pizza, Italian, Spanish, French,...)

You cant get Chinese food or lobster or steamed live fish anywhere else in the US?

When I'm in NYC for dinner, like to do something unique. One can eat at at chain restaurant in any big city. The China Town/Little Italy neighborhood of NYC is a unique place.

Only place in NYC where I've ever had a mediocre meal was on restaurant row on 46th. But we've had a couple good dinners on restaurant row, too. On one memorable occasion we ordered drinks before dinner and then waited and waited. We wondered what was taking so long. An ambulance pulled up in front of the restaurant and the medics go running in. About 5 minutes later they come out with our waiter on a gurney and load him into the ambulance and drive off with the lights and sirens. Guess that answered why our drinks took so long to arrive. Upon leaving the restaurant after dinner and a few more cocktails, I tripped on the sidewalk and lost my balance. In an effort to regain my balance and not fall I had to do the quick step. Things were going well with that until I notice a very tiny, elderly lady in my path on the sidewalk with her eyes getting real big as she saw my stumbling towards her. I had to spin around her to avoid contact. After I caught my balance I realized the little old lady was Dr. Ruth.

I just use Open Table and book something that looks good and unique.

Can't go wrong with Ruth's Chris

^ x2 ^ My wife and I went to Ruth's Chris for our anniversary dinner on 12/26. I had a perfect NY strip she had a fillet and shrimp, along with a huge baked potato and their chop salad. We shared a complimentary dessert. With 2 drinks, the bill came to $180.00. We do splurge a couple times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back