Truly “amazing” Home Depot buying experience

Couple of weeks ago I posted asking about Traeger experiences, and finally decided to buy one. Traeger Pro 780 was the one I’ve decided to pull the trigger on. Looked up my local HD inventory, available in stock with next day delivery. Good stuff, order placed on Friday, delivery next day on Saturday.

Day 1. Delivery truck shows up, the grill is being offloaded and to my surprise it is assembled. Ok, less work for me. Some green plastic wrap around it, and suspiciously control panel is covered. Delivery truck leaves and I begin inspecting the grill. All covered in dust and grime (both outside and inside), control panel is scratched and clear coat peeling off, control knob falling off, rust on the bottom of the grill, grease bucket missing. No big deal, call customer service, explain them the issue, they agree to take it back and offer me 10% discount (I didn’t ask for it, they offered it) if I purchase a new one (funds for original grill to be refunded). I order the new one in the store, they make notes that it should be unboxed brand new, delivery scheduled for Monday.

Day 2. Monday comes, delivery truck shows up and guess what they unload - another assembled floor model. Without even looking at it, I advise them to take it back and call the store. They apologize again, and schedule the delivery for the next day, assuring that it will for sure will be a brand new one in the box. Ok, no big deal. I can wait. Stuff happens.

Day 3. Getting a call from the delivery guy, he says I got a grill for you, brand new in the box. Nice, it is finally happening. Delivery truck shows up, box is being offloaded and guess what I see? You’re right, brand new Traeger. But no the one I ordered and paid for. 575 instead of 780. Delivery guy is almost crying, I’m laughing. I suggest them to take it back. Again, they are being apologetic and I’m not being mad or anything. Call the store again, they don’t care to apologize or anything, just saying we’ll have the correct one delivered tomorrow. So, we’ll see what happens tomorrow.

Like I mentioned, I never was mad or rude to anyone during the process. But I have to admit that overall frustration is building up. I’m not sure how these all is even possible and why it is happening, all I can assume is that people are truly careless and take 0 pride in what they do.

Anyhow, thanks for reading till the end. I’ll provide another update tomorrow, and hopefully will share some food pictures

Couple of shots on how original grill looked

Attachments

• IMG_1967.jpeg
    IMG_1967.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1950.jpeg
    IMG_1950.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 130
It's somewhat humorous when it is happening to someone else.........................then, Karma kicks in and we are then in a similar situation, saying things that will require us make amends with God, Jesus, and Mother Mary.

This kind of stuff is happening all over and I really blame it on the effects of a VERY bad world wide pandemic. Think about it. Millions died. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, has been thrown off kilter. Entire economies are still attempting to rebound. The workforce is all amuck.

Do several deep breathing exercises to get back on track. Be grateful to be alive and that getting a grill delivered is one of your major challenges in life......................... my good friend is recuperating today at U of M hospital after having open heart surgery.............. I,too, have to remind myself daily to be grateful and humble.

EDIT: Yes, I see that you are sharing this as subtle humor of the situation at hand. My advice is maybe more for me than you. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!! :)

Last edited:
My 2 experiences with HD delivery have been severely lacking.

Bought a lawnmower online with 'free home delivery', shipped it via a carrier that couldn't make home deliveries without a loading dock.

Bought a water heater that had to be shipped twice, never showed up even though their tracking said it had, ended up getting one at the store after I got them to match the online price.....the second delivery unit showed up about 8 days later.

There's more to both of those stories but it is long and drawn out. They both worked out in the end, but it was a chore.

It's somewhat humorous when it is happening to someone else.........................then, Karma kicks in and we are then in a similar situation, saying things that will require us make amends with God, Jesus, and Mother Mary.

This kind of stuff is happening all over and I really blame it on the effects of a VERY bad world wide pandemic. Think about it. Millions died. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, has been thrown off kilter. Entire economies are still attempting to rebound. The workforce is all amuck.

Do several deep breathing exercises to get back on track. Be grateful to be alive and that getting a grill delivered is one of your major challenges in life......................... my good friend is recuperating today at U of M hospital after having open heart surgery.............. I,too, have to remind myself daily to be grateful and humble.
Messed up grill is certainly not the main challenge at the moment haha. And the whole purpose of my post wasn’t to complain and/or be dramatic. It was more for entertaining purposes. To tell you the truth I could care less for it (the same way I could care less for anything materialistic). But my wife wanted to make me a present for our upcoming anniversary so I thought why not. She loves when I cook meats so let’s give it a try. Anyhow, hope your friend recovers soon.

Not Home Depot but Best Buy sending non english speaking people for a range delivery who can only scream "BEST BUY, BEST BUY" into the phone...those are 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

So ya, I get it.

Needing a new washing machine just scares me even more.

All I will say is I feel your pain. I spent another half hour at the Verizon store trying to remove a service that I was going to start being charged for soon. I never asked for it and never ordered it. The app hasnt worked since I signed up with Verizon last year but every person you talk to always says "you could do that in the app" to which I pull up the screen shot of "ERROR, please try again sometime later"

First or second time would have been funny. The third time I would have told them to give me my money back.
I hear ya. On the other hand, I felt like I’ve gone so far already that giving up wouldn’t make sense. Plus they still honored 10% discount they offered, so didn’t want to loose that either

I hear ya. On the other hand, I felt like I’ve gone so far already that giving up wouldn’t make sense. Plus they still honored 10% discount they offered, so didn’t want to loose that either

Understandable. Glad you finally got it; I'm jealous. My HOA doesn't allow non-gas grills for first floor residents :(

I don't know about HD , but Lowe's went to a third party contractor for deliveries . Hit or miss at that point .

Sometimes you wonder how these places make money? But I guess enough "smooth" transactions are made to make up for these ones...
So far I've always picked up my major appliances, even our 23 cuft freezer. Sometimes they give a bit of a discount for not doing a "free" delivery. I never make a special trip to town, but just pick stuff up after work.

I don't know about HD , but Lowe's went to a third party contractor for deliveries . Hit or miss at that point .
HD also uses 3rd party. Although, in my case it wasn’t the delivery messing up, instead store shipping wrong stuff

I ordered a window from HD a while back. I went to pick it up and they rolled out a broken window for me to load. Ended up taking 5 months to get a window after everything was said and done. Never again!

I ordered a couple of box fans from Menards and had them sent to our local store (on sale, online only)
When I went to pick them up both boxes were in bad shape and after inspecting both fans were badly damaged. The reorder came in fine and all is good. The employee commented that "that's our distribution center for you" when we onboxed the first ones. I asked him how can they make any money doing business like this ? Home centers like these seem to have an awful lot of mishandled goods that are spoiled.

Not surprised unfortunately, it seems to be like this across the board. Name a big box store, and the experience will be the same. Lowes, HD, Tractor Supply, Walmart, etc. Zero pride in their work, nonexistent customer service, bottom of the barrel minimum wage employees, and awful management. They can get away with it because that is the standard everywhere in order to maximize profits.

Back