Debris in road results in accident and near total

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
There's 0 chance that car is worth even close to $6k.

A 2013 Focus is worth a lot more than $6k

Glad to hear everyone is okay. Debris on the highway is almost impossible to avoid, keeping the car under control and preventing an additional collision is impressive.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Glad to hear everyone is okay. Debris on the highway is almost impossible to avoid, keeping the car under control and preventing an additional collision is impressive.
That's what I mean, nowhere near $6k, as in much more.

That's what I mean, nowhere near $6k, as in much more.

My bad.
06.gif
43.gif
33.gif

Glad to hear you're all safe. And cost effective or not, that's why you pay for insurance. I would not say your focus will total but who knows with how much those Ford DCTs cost. Keep us posted.

You would actually be surprised. A quick look at trade in value (which I assume is what insurance uses roughly) is right around the 6-6.5K mark. I thought for sure it would have been higher.

Ouch! Glad to hear you're okay!

Hope it all gets taken care of pretty quickly. Insurance is there for a reason.

Originally Posted By: Delta

You would actually be surprised. A quick look at trade in value (which I assume is what insurance uses roughly) is right around the 6-6.5K mark. I thought for sure it would have been higher.
Fortunately, insurance will probably pay a lot more than trade in value.

Sorry to hear and I know exactly the area you're talking about. It seems the closer you get to downtown the more crazy things get with traffic, speeders etc. There's a pretty good Ford dealer west of downtown that you can see from I-90 on the north side, Mike Bass Ford.

How long were folks inconvenienced over this crash? I am so tired of hours long road closures due to crashes 16 year olds could explain in a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
How long were folks inconvenienced over this crash? I am so tired of hours long road closures due to crashes 16 year olds could explain in a few minutes.

First of all, you are coming off as being extremely condescending, and I don't appreciate it.

Secondly, we pulled off the side of the road, so it didn't matter, and it was after midnight in Cleveland. There was minimal traffic anyway, in a 10-12 lane part of town.

Originally Posted By: totegoat

That's really not up to the people involved in the crash. Those investigating the crash follow their policies and statutory obligations.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Basically he controlled his car and avoided wrecking.

Good job. Hopefully they can repair your car.

Frankly, I would have preferred they total it out, since I'm at 72k and out of warranty at this point, it would have been a good time to replace it with the pay-out from the insurance. And now i have a car that has had major repairs, and I know that cars which have accidents like this tend to never quite be the same again.

Ended up being about $4500 to repair, including new transmission (used to be precise, unfortunately, I'm going to fight that with my insurance company) new rack and pinion (apparently it was broken/cracked in half) and a bunch of other smaller stuff. Unfortunately, ACV and trade-in value (which is listed at $6k) are different.

I ended up having to drive the rental home and now have to make yet another trip back to Ohio to pick it up after it's repaired.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
And now i have a car that has had major repairs, and I know that cars which have accidents like this tend to never quite be the same again.

Sorry, your accident isn't actually one of these types of accidents.
You have damaged cracked transmission case, plus damaged steering components.
Your frame, and subframes were not damaged, so that's not an issue.

All your shop needs to do is replace the damaged components, perform a good alignment, test drive for proper operation, inspect for any additional damage (how is the rear suspension?) and hand it back to you.

If you aren't happy with how the car drives, you bring it back and give them a description of what's not right, they inspect it, and fix the new problem that they didn't discover the first time around.

It's not like they are replacing the entire front nose clip, and straightening the frame.

BC.

Have to agree with the poster above - your damage, while expensive, isn't what I would put in the category of major accident damage.

And I've had cars that have had much more major repairs, and they've lasted for many years and tens of thousands of miles with no issues. If someone didn't tell you it had been repaired (or knew what to look forO, you'd never know...

Stuff happens. You're OK, the car is repairable, and insurance is taking care of it. What's the problem again?

It sure sucks to be involved in any type of accident. Glad everyone is OK.

In regards to the damage, like others mentioned it doesn't seem to excessive. The worst kind of damage is to the frame or the unibody's structural members, as it is hard to straighten out afterwards.
The components that were damaged in your case can all be easily replaced and should not cause any drivability issues. I would, however, get them to check all the front suspension components, bushings etc. for play. If everything is nice and tight, the car should feel no different than before this accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back