Coworker thinks 10w30 is obsolete

15w40 being the default choice here. 10w30 is readily available.
Anything starting with zero is quite niche.

20K miles ;)
45e30b3b-9138-4134-998d-4acb7fd792d0.f71ad29ada2a13724a2f5144aa599f11.jpeg

Even the 2023s? I thought they joined everyone with 0w?
No clue on ‘23s. I’ve got a ‘19 F150 3.5 and my son has a ‘19 F150 2.7 and they both specify 5w30s. I was actually going to run 10w30 in the summers until I found HPL and especially now that they’ve got the No VII oils. I’m about 1k from my first filter change & UOA (but no drain) on HPL PCMO 5w30. HPL maintains that it should be good to 15k OCI with 5k filter intervals, so we’ll see! 👍🏻

The first ones we got at work still used the heat sensitive roll paper. They were still called Fax machines though. Xerox I think, was the brand.
(edit:) Oh yeah, they still had the audible modem connection over a landline.
I remember as a kid my dad showing me the one they had at work back in the late '60s. In those days you rented it from the phone company.

FYI; Chevron 10W30 Synthetic Technology a group II & III blend CK-4/SN plus, pour point -46C, HTHS >3.5
PC Duron GEO LD 10W30 CK-4/SN, PP -44C, HTHS >3.6

Both clearly obsolete.

It performs well in the right temps, but not a good spec for vehicles that have a cold winter. Easier for manufacturers to spec an oil that performs year round. Because of this I don’t think oil companies will put as many dollars toward those product lines. I’ve used it a few times where it was appropriate but it isn’t my first choice.

It performs well in the right temps, but not a good spec for vehicles that have a cold winter. Easier for manufacturers to spec an oil that performs year round. Because of this I don’t think oil companies will put as many dollars toward those product lines. I’ve used it a few times where it was appropriate but it isn’t my first choice.
For the most part, if one lives south of the WI/IL border you can use 10w30 year round. Certainly so if your car is garaged.

In Florida you could use 15w40 year-round and never have a concern.

The funny thing is many engines in the USA are given lighter weights than most European and Asian markets even though the climates are often similar.

I own a dealership so I never keep anything. But if I were to keep a car for the long haul I would 'heavily' weigh in the oil viscosities recommended in similar markets.

For example 10W-30 is a good fit for a lot of vehicles here in Georgia given the torrid heat and mild winters. If a heavier weighted oil is recommended at a place with a similar climate I would have no problem running it.

The funny thing is many engines in the USA are given lighter weights than most European and Asian markets even though the climates are often similar.

I own a dealership so I never keep anything. But if I were to keep a car for the long haul I would 'heavily' weigh in the oil viscosities recommended in similar markets.

For example 10W-30 is a good fit for a lot of vehicles here in Georgia given the torrid heat and mild winters. If a heavier weighted oil is recommended at a place with a similar climate I would have no problem running it.
10w30 would be a great winter oil in Georgia 😂

Why would you prefer a thicker oil at start up?

FYI; Chevron 10W30 Synthetic Technology a group II & III blend CK-4/SN plus, pour point -46C, HTHS >3.5
PC Duron GEO LD 10W30 CK-4/SN, PP -44C, HTHS >3.6

Both clearly obsolete.
Also a good example of how a relatively low pour point doesn’t always result in a superior winter rating. It still would not be desirable for starting below 0F.

Here in S. FL, 10W-30 M1 was my go-to oil for decades. 355K miles and zero problems, zero sludge or varnish. I think it's the ideal viscosity.

Same here, 10W30 for everything in fleet whether it’s a V8 or I4.

Between 1985 and 2010 all I ran was M1. After finding BITOG I started using any brand on sale.

For the most part, if one lives south of the WI/IL border you can use 10w30 year round. Certainly so if your car is garaged.
I live below the Mason Dixon line and my vehicles are garaged and rarely cold started below 60 degrees F. I’m good with 10w30 and I’ve used it for 50 years!

Back