another mindless Wal Mart shopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I answered him at all I'd have probably said something like "I don't know why people can't mind their own business"...
whistle.gif

I would have grunted something along the lines of, "good to know" then walk towards the register with the jug of 0 or 5w20. No use debating them.

I only give suggestions in the oil isle if the person looks lost as to what to buy.

Most people on BITOG know more than 99.9% of people buying oil. But most people don't care a whole lot about oil.

So mostly I give advice when it will be welcomed.

I did give advice to a nice older lady with her grandson at Wal Mart near my work. She didn't know what to use
In her 20,xxx mile 2011 Mercury Gran Marquis so I grabbed her a 5qt jug of MC blend 5w20 and additional quart and extra quart of MC blend 5w20 and a Tough Guard filter. She was very happy and appreciated the help.

Originally Posted By: car51
I wouldn't even think of using 10w30 or 10w40 or 20w50 here in PA where it will be 9 for a high Tuesday.

-9F here today, 10w40 worked just fine!

Car51, food for thought: pretty sure '09 was the last year for the 5.4 3 valve V8 in the F-150, if not one of the last. A lot of those engines had camshaft phaser issues, and one of the shadetree fixes to quell the noise and poor running is heavier oil. I'm not condoning nor am I dismissing the quicky cure, I'm just saying that perhaps that's his situation and he tried 5W-20 and had issues, thus, in his mind, it's not suitable. 20W-50, contrary to popular BITOG belief, won't leave you stranded with engine internals scattered on the highway, but I'd probably let it warm up before gunning it out of the driveway. Just saying, it's easy to judge and hard to understand, I should know. I'm trying to understand as I get older, rather than cast judgement.

Ohh I know what you mean Red. Just up here in PA, we have a winter. 10w30 may have been better choice

Originally Posted By: car51
What's your windchill Jayg?

-30F to -50F off and on since mid November most nights. This was right after Thanksgiving.

IMG_5403_zpspwnecbmf.png

99.9% don't know or care about oil and their vehicles last just as long as ours. Meanwhile on bitog, we disagree on the same topics every other day. I wonder if this happens on the tooth paste boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back