Wal-Mart loss prevention guy following me around....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I did a thread about a year ago about a guy stealing a 50+ inch TV and walked right out the front door and a Ford Explorer (engine running at store entrance) was waiting for him and drove off.

The Wal-Mart employees came out of the store and asked themselves if he paid for the TV....???

This happened around 7 AM when few customers were in the store.

Hows the picture quality? jk
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by spasm3
I did a thread about a year ago about a guy stealing a 50+ inch TV and walked right out the front door and a Ford Explorer (engine running at store entrance) was waiting for him and drove off.

The Wal-Mart employees came out of the store and asked themselves if he paid for the TV....???

grin2.gif

lol.gif

I did a thread a year ago about a guy stealing a 50+ inch TV and walked right out the front door and a Ford Explorer (engine running at store entrance) was waiting for him and drove off.

This happened around 7 AM when few customers were in the store. Why wasn't loss prevention following this guy walking around the store with big TV and passed by the produce dept, customer service and out the front door.

Mismanagement.

I was once at a Harbor Freight where there was one cashier working. 9 people in line. Now you might say that they were understaffed or between shifts.

A man walked out from the back area with 3 generators and some other things in a cart. He got almost all the way out of the parking lot before the cashier managed to get anyone's attention.

All of a sudden an army of people appeared. I'm talking 25-30 people.

One of the guys said that all of the generators are kept way way back in the back storage, and up high.

Despite there being 25-30 people in the store, all of them were busy doing absolutely nothing. Nobody at the registers (but one cashier), nobody in the mirrored LP office, nobody watching the cameras, nobody in the storage area, NOTHING.

Those 25-30 people were so useless and absent that a man was able to walk right into the store, go into a restricted area, just locate and load up a bunch of generators and tools, and then walk right out without being challenged.

It's like having bulletproof gates that you never close or lock. Completely good for nothing.

I hired a Home Depot guy to do some kitchen tile backsplash for me a few months ago. He said HD policy was not to confront thieves. He said HD feels it's not worth getting an employee injured or killed over any merchandise. I would have thought they would have off duty cops as LP contractors.

CCTV can get descriptions plus vehicle type and plate numbers. No need for these workers to confront the varmints.

Originally Posted by PimTac
CCTV can get descriptions plus vehicle type and plate numbers. No need for these workers to confront the varmints.

If I steal from Home Depot and take the merchandise to a friend's home, when the police arrive at my home and cannot locate the stolen merchandise, am I prosecuted to the full extent of the law?

I heard police need the product to prosecute. Is that correct?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by PimTac

If I steal from Home Depot and take the merchandise to a friend's home, when the police arrive at my home and cannot locate the stolen merchandise, am I prosecuted to the full extent of the law?

I heard police need the product to prosecute. Is that correct?

Depends on the prosecutor. The standard for juries is beyond a reasonable doubt. Lots of bank robbers go to jail even if they can't find the money afterwards. Murder convictions still happen without the body. It's just a little bit harder without evidence. But if a jury believes it beyond a reasonable doubt, then it's a guilty verdict.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by spasm3

grin2.gif

lol.gif

The Indy 500 race looked sooo awesome with the Hi Definition Plasma screen.
thumbsup2.gif

Double Wasp,

Not surprised what happened at Harbor Freight.

At Publix, I saw a husband and wife team stealing wine. While the wife was at the cash register paying for groceries.... the husband got a larger paper bag, went to the wine isle and got 5 bottles of wine. As the wife was finished at register about to exit the store her husband reappeared and placed the bag of wine in the shopping cart. Both idiots walked out of store as if nothing , knowing that no Publix employees would confront them. It happened a few times and they were eventually arrested.

Very brazen shoplifting from trashy couple.
frown.gif

The Indy 500 race looked sooo awesome with the Hi Definition Plasma screen.
thumbsup2.gif

Then your TV is as old as mine! I'm still rocking a plasma!

Originally Posted by gman2304
I hired a Home Depot guy to do some kitchen tile backsplash for me a few months ago. He said HD policy was not to confront thieves. He said HD feels it's not worth getting an employee injured or killed over any merchandise. I would have thought they would have off duty cops as LP contractors.

They have surveillance footage, it's bad risk management to have an employee confront a thief -- workers comp will cost much more than a piece of merchandise.

The funny thing to me is the to-do over a $1 bottle of water.

That said, on the occasion where I've done the same, I've conspicuously consumed and kept the item in plain sight, including upon payment. I assume cameras are on me.

I worked loss prevention in high school for a large retail chain. Did it for about 3 years. Honestly, it was the most fun job I ever had. I was really good at it and my team and I were the most productive team in the state. Nobody thinks an 18 year old kid in a backwards hat is a loss prevention officer, so they didn't care about me.

As to the op being followed, the loss prevention officer has an 8 hour shift to fill. Those 8 hours are 7.5 hours of walking and boredom, and 0.5 hours of excitement and danger. He was on the clock getting paid, so it didn't matter to him if he was following you or someone else. The op did consume the water without paying, so yeah, it gave the loss prevention officer something to do, just to follow him around and make sure he paid for the water. He likely has metrics that he is required to meet, so if you didnt pay for the water, he could at least say hey buddy, you forgot to pay for the water, and get credit for the product recovery. I highly doubt that Walmart would arrest you for a bottle of water.

My best bust? An ON DUTY FEDERAL AGENT, armed with a concealed pistol, stole $5000 worth of premium bed sheets by removing them from the packaging, and stuffing them into an empty vacuum cleaner box, and then paying for the "vacuum cleaner". VERY high ups got involved in that one, as they didn't want the 25 year agent that was fixing to retire in a few weeks, to lose their pension...

The Wal-Marts in my area now have a door-checker/loss prevention person that randomly (I guess anyways, as I see no rhyme or reason to who they stop) selects people as they leave and checks their receipt against the items in their cart. Normally, I stop for them despite being annoyed as I know they're just doing their job. However, this weekend the guy stopped a lady who was pushing a full cart out in front of me and then, as I tried to pass with my two bags of items, asked me to wait for him to go through her stuff so that he could check mine. I was in a hurry so I just said, "No thanks" and walked out. No one came chasing me down.

Originally Posted by JustN89
The Wal-Marts in my area now have a door-checker/loss prevention person that randomly (I guess anyways, as I see no rhyme or reason to who they stop) selects people as they leave and checks their receipt against the items in their cart. Normally, I stop for them despite being annoyed as I know they're just doing their job. However, this weekend the guy stopped a lady who was pushing a full cart out in front of me and then, as I tried to pass with my two bags of items, asked me to wait for him to go through her stuff so that he could check mine. I was in a hurry so I just said, "No thanks" and walked out. No one came chasing me down.

Oh I love the receipt checkers!! They get a big NOPE from me.

Sams club is the only exception, their a private club with a contract that says to be a member, you agree to receipt checks at the door.

Any other store that attempts to check my receipt get a "no thanks" from me while I dont even slow down and head on out the door. You see, I paid for those items. They belong to me. I do not have to prove to anyone that they belong to me. You can protest, complain, demand that I stop, but I wont. I WILL continue walking to my car. Why? Because its my stuff, and its my right not to be hassled about my stuff. If you have probable cause that I have stolen, then please detain me and call the police to report that a crime has been commited. When the cops get there, sort through everything and it is proven that I paid for everything, and nothing was stolen, then I will absolutely OWN this store. Or at least a million dollar lawsuit in my favor for unlawfully detaining me.

Originally Posted by JustN89

Usually if all my stuff is in bags they never ask for the receipt, but if I have loose items (washer fluid, 5qt oil, bulk toilet paper, etc.) they want to check. Honestly I don't mind cause if I'm going to Wal-Mart I'm not in a hurry because it's usually packed, even on a weekday.

If there is a door-checker I just politely hand them the receipt and out I go. Why make someone's job unpleasant needlessly? I frequently see police cruisers with flashing lights at the local Walmart, so apparently someone is being arrested for something. Again, why poke the beehive by eating and drinking in the store or getting mad at people just doing their jobs?

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
If there is a door-checker I just politely hand them the receipt and out I go. Why make someone's job unpleasant needlessly? I frequently see police cruisers with flashing lights at the local Walmart, so apparently someone is being arrested for something. Again, why poke the beehive by eating and drinking in the store or getting mad at people just doing their jobs?

Well because it's your right to just walk out the store with the stuff you paid for, especially at Walmart as they have no membership contract that you agree to. I do the same as a previous poster, I decline and keep walking. Once someone asked me and I just waived my receipt said no and kept walking. Nothing happened. Another time someone was stopped in front of me and I went around them.

One time at BJs, there was a line to get out of the store which is ridiculous. I went around the line and just left, the guy still stopped me and I told him that per the sign, I decline as it says that they ask to see your receipt so I told them my answer was no. He just grabbed my receipt, punched it and I left, I only had 4 items so it was somewhat ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back